John Packer Ltd - An experience

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by P_S_Price, Aug 3, 2010.

1. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

For those of you with training/School Bands, You might be interested to hear about my experience with the above company.

(Web site

On the 17th of June 2010 I ordered from them one of their own make Euphoniums.

At the time of ordering I was told that delivery would be about 4 weeks. This was while I was on Holiday, so I asked them, and they agreed to delay delivery until the 26th of July. As that was an extra couple of weeks you would have thought they would have been able to deliver it.

Nope not at all. We have now reached Into August approaching 7 weeks.

At least the excuses I have heard have been consistent:

Firstly - Its in customs (Probably true).
    Next - Its out of customs and on its way to the warehouse
    Next - Its in our Warehouse but hasnt been put on our computer system.
    Then - Its in our warehouse but needs to be sent to a different warehouse for checking.
    Then - I cant do anything its up to the warehouse.
    Finally - I will ring the warehouse and will email you (they didnt). The finance director (The person incharge of both Sales and warehousing) isnt in.

To be fair they have offerred me my money back, but I dont want the money. I want the Euphonium. The have also offerred to refund the delivery costs to my card (I paid by cheque!).

All in all an extremely poor, excuse laden, service.

So If you do purchase instruments form this company you need to be prepared for an Extended wait, and the run around when you call them.

Unless the instrument is absolutely top VFM. I cant see me ever buying from them again!!.

Has anybody else had trouble with this outfit, and if so what happened?
  2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Surprised by this. I have had nothing but excellent service from John Packer, and so has everyone I've recommended them to.

3. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I swear its true. I am getting increasingly frustrated, and am on the point of asking for a refund and ordering from somebody else.

MY budget is very limited, so does anybody have experience of

Rosetti 53EU7L 7 Series 4 Valve Compensating Euphonium

or the

heliosuk Superior Euphonium
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  4. BOB

BOB Member

There must be genuine problems here that Packers are trying hard to resolve. I have always had excellent service and follow up from them. I'm sure it will be sorted soon.

I have ordered several items from this company and always received them 2 to 3 days later.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

never had any problems here, I've ordered about 1/4 of a bands worth of JP branded instruments so far, and they are all excellent value for money.
  7. timbloke

timbloke Member

As with some of the comments above, I've ordered from JP and had a very good service. But it is disappointing that perhaps they are good when things go well, but not so good when there are problems.
  8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Trying Hard to resolve?

Hmmm if multi excusing, missed dates, and non-existent email replies represents trying hard, I dread to think what Not trying would be!!!!
  9. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Sorry that you have had a bad experience - have you made a complaint to the big boss? If you feel strongly, then you should. They have made an offer to waive the costs for delivery which is at least something.

In my rather limited experience with JP, they have always been superb. Judging by the replies on this thread, that is quite common. I would imagine that that would make them even more likely to want to sort your problem out for you asap. Take it to the top and state your case, hope you get your Euph as soon as possible.
  10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I tried to get to the point that could sort it out. I asked for the boss and was put on to someone who said he was in charge. when I asked him if he was incharge of the warehouse (who it was alledged were the delay) he said no. when I asked to speak to the person in charge of both (If you go high enough up the structure in a company, someone usually spans departments) I was told it was the Finance Director who wasnt in. He told me he would investigate and email me. Guess what no email.

As for waiving the Delivery Charge - thats not even a sop to the messing about that they have done. 28 day delivery is not unreasonable (and what was initially mentioned). Forty Odd most definitely is unreasonable, with no delivery date in sight!!

And JPs response to that? more failed promises, still no Euphonium, and £10 off a £680 bill (I make that Just under 2%).

Not good boys not good.
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Never dealt with them directly myself, but colleagues who have always seem impressed, both with the service and the quality of the instruments.
  12. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

It would seem then that its just lucky old me, or perhaps its an anti-Salvation Army thing.
  13. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

First of all on behalf of John Packer Ltd can I apologise for any inconvenience that we have caused you. Unfortunately I genuinely cant get onto our network at the moment so I cant see your account and give you a definitive answer tonight but this will be my first task in the morning.

What I can tell you is that the problem is that your original order was for an instrument that was at the time out of stock and we estimated that it would arrive in around 4 weeks.

As you can maybe appreciate this time is a busy time of year for us as we are a major supplier to the education sector and our incoming deliveries are rather large. Your Euphonium I assume is part of these shipments.

We have had issues with a delay in customs and from what I know all the information that you have been given has been correct but if we haven’t replied in a timely fashion to any communications then I can once again only apologise.

As other posters have commented (and thankyou!) this is not our normal service level but please be assured that this will be resolved as soon as possible in the morning.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  14. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I've always had excellent service from John Packer, but know that they are moving their store (not the shop) to a bigger warehouse.

Try a direct e-mail to Steve Herbert who is in charge of the brass section:

You will find the instrument well worth waiting for IMHO.

15. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Excuse me Mr Hanson, but when I ordered the instrument I was advised a 4 week delivery time I already extended that myself by a further week due to my Hols.

If it was likely to be 7-8 weeks I should have been told that up front. We would not have had a problem then.

Additionally to then offer me a refund of the despatch charge to my Card, when the account was settled by cheque is intriguing?

You too seem to be trotting out excuses ("Busy time of year" so thats alright then isnt it makes me feel that I am totally unreasonable in expecting JP to meet a period that JP gave me!).

I perfectly accept that customs delays are out of your hands, BUT delays getting instruments onto computer systems/between warehouses ARE in your control.

Its also in your control when staff send me an email saying an item will be "despatched tomorrow", and when I arrange for somebody to be in the day after despatch and it doesnt turn up then the manager says I shouldnt have been told that!

If I can suggest that a better practice would be to quote the 8 weeks on OoS items. This way purchasers wont be ticked off when 4 weeks turns to 7.

I was particularly disappointed, because this is an insurance settlement, and I switched to your instrument after another member of our band was delighted with the cornet they bought from JP.

However :ranting2: over, and I do thank you for taking the time to respond here on tMP. I look forward to receiving the Euph in good course.
  16. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

As I said peviously I am not in a position at the moment to check your account so I can only comment on what i know.

Yes you are correct that we should have given you a longer estimation of delivery time when you origionally placed the order with us but in the morning I will be able to check the time line on this and give you a better answer.

I am not trying to make excuses and yes you are also correct that some of the delays have been our doing and again I will ensure that all this is sorted poste haste.

In regards to the refunding to your card it is so rare these days for us to receive any payments by cheque (99% are made by card!) I can only assume that my colleague assumed that payment had been made by this method.

And as for going to the big boss.. You cant get any bigger!

Speak to you in the morning
  17. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

In my experience of dealing with different companies it is very rare for management to get involved in such an open way. You are to be congratulated for opening yourself up to the whole banding community. Knowing that the directors take a personal interest in what happens is certainly a good draw to do business with that company. Well done Rob
  18. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I think it is a pity that tMP is being used to further a private dispute/grievance. How much better would it have been to resolve the situation then report, for good or bad, for the information of tMP’ers.

I’m pleased that, in this case, so many have come forward to give a contra view in support of Packer’s. I have dealt with them occasionally and have never had any problems.

I have always found that going up any chain of command is a slow and unproductive process, particularly with telephone calls and emails. If the lower level staff cannot solve the problem, whatever it is, it is usually because it's beyond their capabilities so to do.

The answer is then to go to the very top (managing director, CEO, whoever. Sometimes, just asking for the name and address of such a person is sufficient to get things done.) He/she won’t necessarily take the complaint on board personally, but will know the correct level at which it can be resolved.

Telephone calls and emails, while convenient, are easily deniable. Once it appears a problem has arisen, recorded delivery snail mail, to the top level, is usually more effective.
  19. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I wasnt my intention to get the dispute resolved here. I wasnt expecting a response from JP's sales director. (I have to agree with an earlier poster, that yes it is commendable for him to open himself to this Forum).

But Bad service is Bad service, and as JP advertise their new products using this Forum, I did not feel it was innappropriate to warn others of the failings that I have encountered.

I have stated nothing but facts (admittedly as seen from my perspective). People will make their own minds up as to their preference in purchasing from JP.

As it seems that I am the only person who has had trouble with JP, it looks like they have only lost one customer - me!

But the unavoidable truth is that a Euphonium was ordered, a delivery date supplied, and that delivery date missed by a significant period. If you feel that warning other potential bands people about that is not appropriate then we will have to disagree.
  20. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

I have to agree with the posters who have had very good experiences of JP.
    In my dealings with them I have never had any issues and always found them helpful and professional.

I understand that sometimes things dont work out and occasionally go wrong... However, I am not entirely sure the above comments are something that should be posted on tMP. Complaints regarding customer service are between the customer and retailer.