John Lennon played the tuba...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

I recently read a quote attributed to John Lennon, who said something along the lines of "I'm an entertainer - give me a *@*! tuba and I'll entertain you."

I thought he'd randomly picked the tuba just to claim that he was so brilliant he could play anything. Big head, I thought. But it turns out there are actual recordings of John Lennon playing the tuba. (with Pink Floyd, no less) (thanks Google).

Has anyone heard these? Are they any good? Or was my initial thought correct?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. Texus

Texus Member

shame he didn't concentrate on not making those damn albums with Yoko!
  3. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

The page you cite has a link to the video which is HERE.

It doesn't do much for the wold of tuba playing, I'm afraid, but you have to admire the cameraman for still being able to focus after taking that much acid !!
  4. julestools

julestools Active Member

All the best guys play (or have played) the tuba :)

Jules (25 years on Bb and a few on cornet)
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Having watched, and carefully listened to the video, I can hear no evidence that John Lennon is actually playing the tuba. There are also fragmented images of a cornet player and a trombone player, and I don't hear any cornet or trom playing either. Looks to me like the shots are there just for visual reasons.
  6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

The cornet player is miming (unless he is doing everything on alternate fingerings) The trom player I'm not sure about, I definately heard a trombone sound coming in, and Tuba? The tuba would probably be overpowered by the bass, and it doesn't look like they are Micced (College spelling lol) up either, so that would account for not hearing them as loud as the other players who are

7. jamieow

jamieow Member

...just a bit of fun innit. I don't think for one minute that any of them are playing....doesn't matter though.musicians do odd things!!!!
  8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

or..... if his tuba playing is anything like mine - it'd be so terrible that it would be entertainment by itself!!! ;)
  9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

The tuba in and of itself is entertaining. I mean just look at the name.
    If horns were animals they'd be gazelles. If tubas were animals they'd be yaks.
  10. Hells Bones

And if the trombone was an animal it would be?
  11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

12. Hells Bones

hmmm, I don't agree, I think the Sop would be shot, :tongue:
  13. bigmamabadger

An elephant.
  14. Hells Bones

You sure? not the Blue Whale? you know what is special about the blue whale don't you?
  15. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Ah yes, its brain is very small in comparison to its body.....

.. you could be right then, Blue whale it is!!!:tongue:
  16. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Wow you are on fire tonight super_sop!! Needle sharp lol.:clap:
  17. Hells Bones

I was thinking more along the lines of longest reproductive organ in all mammals.
    Come to think of it, if the brain of a blue whale was the same size (in comparison to it's body) as ours, they would be running the planet, and would still choose to play trombone, hence Sops being an endangered species!!! :wink:
  18. BrianT

BrianT Member

The scenic route...

How did we get from beetles (sic) to blue whales via gazelles?
  19. bigmamabadger

No they wouldn't they wouldn't be able to walk anywhere with all that weight up top.
  20. Hells Bones

but it would be well balanced with all that weight down below