John Grey TH Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Michael Walls, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Michael Walls

Michael Walls New Member

The mouthpiece that came with my Besson TH is a John Grey, is there much difference between one make and another I do seem to be getting on ok with it
    Mike

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I don't know much about them other than they're old - if you're getting on fine with it then don't worry about it, it's probably better than what you'd be able to pick up cheaply.

Michael Walls likes this.
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

John Grey is a new make to me and possibly one that is no longer in production, but that doesn't really matter what does is that the product still works and works for you. Mouthpieces do vary a lot and what works for one person might not work for another, a change of mouthpiece is sometimes mistakenly seen as a 'Silver Bullet' to cure all problems.

Selection of a mouthpiece is not straight forward, there is variation between suppliers and suppliers also offer a range of alternatives. I suggest that, as what you have works for you now, you check with your teacher and maybe later move to something else when s/he feels that the time is right to do so. There was a thread on Tenor Horn mouthpieces a few months ago and an item from the Dennis Wick range was identified as a popular choice.

I hope that's a help, and that better voices now 'chime in' to answer your question - edit, looks like one did whilst I was typing my response.

4. Michael Walls

Michael Walls New Member

Thanks for your valued advice I will stick with the one I have

5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

"John Grey" was a name used on many varieties of imported instruments and accessories - I believe the name belonged to Rose Morris & co and harks back to a very early manufacturer of percussion.

If the mouthpiece works for you then it's perfect (for you...). At some stage it would be worth finding a modern mouthpiece because if you lose the one you have you are unlikely to be able to replace it !
    Wicks tend to be the favourite for TH players and I think recently there was a thread discussing the merits or otherwise of different sizes and makes.