John Gladney

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, Apr 28, 2005.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Hi, whilst clearing out our bandroom we have come across some ancient handwritten music arranged by John Gladney its called Lucretia Borgia and theres another one too. I have checked in Dr Roy Newsomes book "Brass Roots" and it appears to have been written in 1869!
    I just wondered if its worth anything or if anyone collects this sort of stuff?
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's probably not worth anything in the financial sense - music at that time was normally written out by hand either by the MD or one of the principal players, although you may find it is in the hand of the composer. There will probably be a few of them floating around in some of the older Band's libraries.

I believe there is a repository for this kind of thing somewhere now, but for the life of me I can't remember where it is. You could always contact Roy and ask him what he believes is the best thing to do with it - he's a very approachable man. PM me if you need contact details.
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I agree that Dr Newsome is the authority in this area. It sounds like you've uncovered a copy of Gladney's arrangment of themes from Donizetti's opera of the same name.

If it is a Gladney manuscript perhaps it will find a home in the Brass Band Archive - see here:

4. satchmo shaz

we did have a chap called Dennis come over from Durham, and he went through our whole library making notes etc. We think some of it was written by Gladney and other stuff handwritten by W Scholes
  5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, there was a William Scholes associated with Rushden Temperance Band and also Rushden S.A. Not sure how common that name might be in band circles but it could be the same.
  6. satchmo shaz

so I believe, not sure if there is a connection though