John Entwistle - The Who and Mellophonium star

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nickjones, Jan 25, 2006.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

One of my favorite musicians of all time , brilliant bass guitarist and musician , quiet man of Rock , bass player of the millenium. and French Horn player...
    Just looking through this months copy of MOJO Magazine and lo and behold a brilliant picture of John tazzing away on a mellophonium...genius.
    check this months edition...really interesting article on The Who.

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

A few months ago there was a flugel on sale on eBay that was allegedly owned and played by John Entwhistle. It had some provenance to prove his ownership of it and went quite cheaply as I remember (I think it was an old Getzen if I remember right). I was never tempted to bid on it, but it's mildly interesting all the same.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- someone was trying to sell his Yamaha student EEb on eBay as well. Priced far too high for the sake of a name!

4. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

ooo I've come over all nostalgic - can anyone tell me what a "Mellaphonium" was? If you can't, I will bore you with a detailed analysis. :biggrin:

5. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

How about this 'famous' mellophone player.

[​IMG]

Its Pat Metheny, the world famous jazz guitarist!
    He actually used to play trumpet as a kid, and utilised mellophones on some of his albums. This picture was apparently taken whilst on tour with Joni Mitchell in the 1970s.

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

That is one nasty monobrow on Mr Metheny...still another brilliant musician with a taste for the odd instrument.
    going back to the cd and mojo magazine , there is a bizzare cover of "Heinz Baked Beans"..got to listen to be believed..BIZZARE

7. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Sorry, I was trying to be clever, I was getting mixed up with the Mellotron. :redface:

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- aaaaaaaah! ... but did you know that his brother, Mike Metheny. was the brass (flugel/trumpet) player of the family? I have a CD called "Day In - Night Out" released in 1986 (MCA Impulse! MCAD-5744, JVC-521).

- and there's more .... http://www.mikemetheny.com/recordings.html

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I had a taped recording of Gordon Higgingbottom playing misty on a mellophonium at one of the gala concerts after the National Finals. Can't remember which year though. Anyone?

10. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

got some great recordings of stan kentons band being particualy rude with mellophoniums or what ever there called!!!!! P.S John Entwistle...legend

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Who
    star
    musicians
    player
    musician
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Gordon used the mellophone in many of the Versatile Brass gigs during his time there! Anyone remember his version of the Flight Of The Bumblebee? Still brings a smile to my face when I see him in that costume! :D