Johan de Meij's "Extreme Make -over" EBBA Test

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Nov 15, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Again, EBBA have been quite forward in announcing the test on 4barsrest. What makes next year's choice interesting is this movement ... (the penultimate one)

"The following movement features a rather unconventional instrumental group: ten tuned bottles, played by members of the cornet section. This group eventually provides the accompaniment for an extensive marimba solo, gradually producing a sort of gamelan effect. In composing for the tuned bottles I have applied the 'hoketus' technique: each player produces a single note of the melody or the chord."

(Johan de Meij, Amsterdam, September 2004)

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2802

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Johan de Meij
    Extreme Make -over
    EBBA Test
    marimba notes
    resonant notes
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Sweet :)
    Like the sound of that a lot...

:-D

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

They had better not be filled with lager or else the bass section will put them out of tune smart right!

5. ju33les

ju33les Member

I had quite a lot to say about this when I first read it.
    Unfortunately , most of it would not be suitable for a family forum............

Just on old-fashioned girl at heart.;)

6. Heather

Heather Member

Yes , I think I know EXACTLY what you mean Ju333les!!!

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Hmmm,

Could be 'interesting' this one. I have nothing against contemporary writing or music that involves instruments outside of a standard brass band, however for the European Championships set test piece you have to question the motives.
    Are we not looking for the champion Brass Band and not the 'who can play 10 tuned bottles better than the other lot' band.

I understand the rest of the piece may well be challenging and that this is only a movement, but i just feel this may be pushing the line somewhat. I may be completely wrong and it may be a superb piece...

time will tell. :D

9. Syrup

Syrup Member

Don't know what this will end up sounding like, but to me this seems ridiculous. We choose to play brass instruments, in a brass band, and thats what we should play. Obviously things like this has been done before in a few pieces mainly on percussion (which is ok as a musical effect), but surely never for a full section of the band or piece. What's next in contesting, playing kazoo's?, paper/comb?

10. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

What? So YBS won the Masters and Cory the Nationals on Harrisons Dream because their triangles were better than anyone else?!?

11. ju33les

ju33les Member

Probably

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Johan de Meij
    Extreme Make -over
    EBBA Test
    marimba notes
    resonant notes
  13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I think I'll wait and see what the piece is like, rather than saying "it's not right that bands should play something where brass players are required to play other instruments". If I don't like the piece, it won't be because it doesn't fit into a conventional idea of a brass band, it'll be because I simply don't like it!

Give it a chance, folks!

14. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

We complain when we don't get new and innovative music and we complain when we do. I wish people would make up their minds.

15. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Well said sir!!!!

16. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I understand that Harrison's Dream had triangles/bells for the cornets, but they were not used in an overly extensive manner in the piece.
    The point i was trying to make John was that if there is a whole movement of the piece (granted i dont know how long it is), but if a whole movement of a piece is the cornet section playing bottles, i think this is rather extreme. After all they are cornet players and not part of the percussion section.

Granted everyone will have differing opinions on this, but that is just my personal one.

Like i said before we shall see how it turns out... ;)

17. davidsait

davidsait Member

I've played the entire Lord of the Rings Suite by Johann de Meij and loved it, so I'm really looking forward to hearing this new test piece.

18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Said what I did said with my tongue slightly in cheek (we need one of those icons!), know you are much more open minded in terms of banding than most Chris mate!

I think the banding world needs to try different ideas. When I sit in rehearsals and hear guys say 'this new piece is rubbish' etc etc I often wonder what people want. If Phillip Wilby and Peter Graham wrote a 'Pagannini' or 'Essence of Time' in new packaging, then they would moan that they can't do anything original. As Chris says, everyone is different and we should just accept that on occasions we will love a piece or hate it!

19. Syrup

Syrup Member

I wonder how the bottles are to be played - by hitting them with something or blowing in the top!!

20. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a gamelan effect?

21. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

A gamelan is a percussion ensemble popular (and very long-established - thousands of years of history!) in Indonesia, especially Java/Bali area. Lots of gongs - tuned ones, not tam tams! - and instruments that resemble giant glockenspiels although each only has maybe 7 or 8 notes. The music is pentatonic (5 notes to the octave), although which five notes varies from place to place. A full gamelan has in the region of forty players....

...so a gamelan effect is presumably an attempt to recreate this kind of sound using - apparently - ten bottles and a marimba!

Dave

PS. sorry if that bored anyone....
    PPS. if anyone helpful has a suitable link to either a better explanation or a sound clip then please, don't keep it to yourself!

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... regarding the marimba solo, these instruments are expensive, rarely used in banding and thus rare! For those tuned percussionists who visit this site how big a step up is it, playing-wise, from rehearsing on a xylophone to the full sized concert marimba? (... there is chance that one may not get played until the contest! :-? ).