Job Interviews.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by The Cornet King, Jan 4, 2006.

1. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Dont all faint at once, but i just found out i have a job interview tomorrow morning. ( I can hear the entire membership of Emley Band thudding to the ground in absolute shock)

So as its my first job interview, i was wondering if you good folk had any good advice, like interview do's and dont's. Im doing a bit of research on the company at the moment, but apart from an MA interview i had last year, i dont really know what to expect! :icon_cheesygrin: An agency put my CV forward, and so i'm having a meeting with them this afternoon to find out what the job actually entails...good ey?

I'm sure it'll be fun though...

Any advice????

Cheers all.
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Tip #1: Don't be late!!

Good luck!
  3. vonny

vonny Member

Good on ya Chris! I feel it is an achievement when you get an interview, they must be impressed with your cv so they are asking you to meet them in person.
    I would advise you to be yourself, they will probably ask why do you want this job - so answer by saying why you applied for this particular job...
    Remember there will be other people who want the same job as you, the trick is to convince the employer that you are the right person for the job.

All the best!

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hey Chris!! Excellent News!!
    Smart appearance.
    Don't be late
    Eye contact (it shows you're sincere)
    Smile (It shows you want to be there)
    Try not to waffle.
    If you don't know the answer to a question, be honest and say so.
    Be confident but not too forward.
    Best of luck dude, if you get the job you won't have to earn your living thrashing Garry on the Golf course for cash any more LOL LOL LOL.
    And just make sure the job doesn't cramp your banding committments. If they want you to work Monday and Wednesday nights, tell them to stick their £52k per annum, the company car, the 40 days annual holiday, bonus scheme and the guaranteed golden pension ...The Emley comes first, naturally!

Good luck Mate, you'll be fine. :icon_cheesygrin: Which Subway restaurant is it by the way?? LOL LOL LOL LOL.

JOKE!! Sheesh!! :icon_rolleyes:
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

• Knowing something about the company is a very good move - show you are interested in them. Employers think: does this person want THIS job, or just any job?
    • Know the job as best you can and pe prepared to explain why you are the person to do it. Read the job description carefully - it contains - or should contain - all the clues you need.
    • Anticipate the questions. You can do this by reading the job description and by knowing what the company does. Check out their website! Are they leaders in their field? Show the interviewers you know.
    • Are there gaps in your CV? What were you doing in this unexplained period between July 200x and February 200x? Be prepared to explain.
    • Be ready to give examples of teamwork in the past (employers like that one).
    • As the man above says, get there in plenty good time, even if it means hanging around in the nearby cafe for an hour.
    • Dress smartly and attend to personal hygiene - it does make a difference. Interviewers are human!
    • If you don't understand the question, don't be afraid to say so. Don't waffle or bull**** - interviewers are very good at spotting it!
    • Pause and compose yourself before you answer any question
    • Keep good eye contact with your interviewer(s)
    • Try not to fidget. Interviewers allow for nervousness but excessive fidgeting may suggest insecurity or even insincerity.
    • Be comfortable. Ask for water if you want it. Adopt a comfortable posture (but don't slouch) - the 'athletic' posture familiar to brass players is a good one. If you're not comfortable - sun shining in your eyes etc. don't be afraid to say so
    • Ask about career progression - show that you are ambitious (if it's appropriate to the job of course. Not much point if you going for the job of dustman)
    • Ask about salary and holidays if the info isn't volunteered, but don't show TOO much interest in them, or in any fringe benefits (sports club, restaurant etc)
    • Speak up, and look and sound confident
    Just a few pointers.
  6. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I have to disagree with Jim.

If it's a first interview, I would strongly advise against asking about the salary / holidays. It creates the wrong impression. You need to sell yourself.

However, do go armed with five or six questions. E.g. ask the interviewer(s) how long they've been with the company. If they've been there for 3 or 4 years or more, ask what's kept them in the company. Find out what the main challenge(s) for the company are going to be in the next 12/18 months. Find out what the main challenge(s) of the role are going to be in the next 6/12 months. I would strongly suggest you write the questions down, and don't be afraid to use the question sheet in the interview.

When you are with the agency this afternoon, find out what kind of interview it is. A lot of companies like to use competency based interviews now (i.e. Tell me about a time when you have used your people skills to influence someone's opinion).

Be honest about your skills / training requirements.

Spend some time tonight thinking about your strengths / weaknesses. Be confident about your strengths and identify your weaknesses as areas that you are trying to develop.

As Crawford says, be confident in the interview. Remember that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Good advice there so far. On the question of holidays, if you have anything already booked then make sure you have the details to hand. When involved in interviews, we have generally agreed to honour any arrangements that had been made beforehand, but it is no good if you come up with extra dates etc once you've already started the job.
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ooh yeah, good point.
    If it's been a while since you read your own cv then give it the once over tonight...just so you know he can't ask you anything about it that you can't remember.
  9. James Yelland

As I said, only ask IF the info is not volunteered (it should be of course, but not all interviewers are formerly trained), and don't make it sound as though it is more important to you than the job itself.

It would be an odd candidate indeed who left the interview room ready to accept a job without knowing what he/she is to be paid. To an interviewer, a candidate who doesn't bother to ask about the salary might be seen as someone who isn't really interested in the job at all. Interviewers are human. They know that money is important.

Apart from that, I agree with everything else you say.
  10. Jen

Jen New Member

Nice one CK! My advice (for what it's worth):
    Smile lots - though not in a manic sort of way!
    Be ready for the 'team work' (easy - you're in a band!) 'communication' and 'influencing other people' type questions.
    Otherwise, everyone else has given you good advice
    Good luck!!
  11. The Cornet King

Thanks everyone for the advice, its been brilliant, please keep any more advice coming.
    I've got lots of information about the company off their website, so i feel prepared about that, i'm just wondering how i'll cope when i get asked a question and my brain temporarily freezes. :icon_confused:

Thankfully i'm not too nervous, after all its not like its the areas or anything!

Thanks again everyone, some really good stuff from everyone.
  12. The Cornet King

Damn, when me and a mate were browsing an MI5 application form (which was more like a catalogue, it was enormous) it was exactly those types of questions that stumped us. 'Write 500 words on how you addressed and solved a problem' etc etc or '500 words on how you, as part of a group, showed leadership skills and qualities'
    Think i'd better jot some things down...:icon_rolleyes:
  13. James Yelland

One further thought: if you aren't successful, phone the Personnel - sorry, Human Resources - department up and ask them for feedback. It will give you valuable info on what did and didn't impress your interviewer(s). And one further 'inside' tip - actually ask your interviewer(s) at the end of the interview if they would mind if you requested feedback. It will concentrate their mind(s), when discussing your performance, to know that they may have to justify their decision to you afterwards! Good luck.

Incidentally, I guess from your Avatar that you are going for a job in the microprocessor industry, perhaps? Or is it something to do with meat?!
  14. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I guess it all depends. Increasingly, there is a two interview format to selection. In these cases, it would be more appropriate to ask the quesiton then. I agree though, if it's only one interview, then you would come across as a little odd. (Hmmm, bandsman / odd, aren't those two words interchangable?)
  15. The Cornet King

I'm applying to be a shower cap salesman and avatar is from my portfolio...! hehe :icon_cheesygrin: (Now that would shock a few people!)
    Thanks very much for all your advice James, you've been brilliantly helpful, i shall certainly ask for feedback. I didn't know if it was 'proper' to do that at the interview or not, but now you mention it i certainly shall.

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You've received some excellent advice on here Chris. All I really want to do is wish you the very best of luck.:icon_cheesygrin:
  17. The Cornet King

Ta very much Mike :icon_biggrin:

I'll post something on here tomorrow afternoon/evening detailing how it went. Hopefully it will go ok.
  18. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Good luck Chris!!!! Unleash the famous Hoyle charm then smile and do a good interview....

Rach x
  19. Di

Di Active Member

Shower cap modelling? You're in mate!

All the best Chris. Good luck. :)
  20. Steve

Steve Active Member

My best advice would be to taylor your pitch to one or two key things you enjoy or are successful / qualified at. I find a good interview has a continued flow and if you are relating ALL their requirements to one or two things you are good at then you will stick out from the crowd. It is also easier than picking events from your whole life and scattering them throughout the interview.

Think of occasions where you have been proactive and have a full description of events and how it benefited others. Also occasions where you have provided someone with service above and beyond their expectations (which is a great answer to questions like "what would you describe as good service", "how would you describe your working ethic")

Popular question's to fire back are what are the rest of the employees like, what is the companies policy on training / career progression, what are the companies goals for the near and distant future (expansion / relocation etc).

Just be cool, be yourself and seem honest and trustworthy.

You will be great, I have no doubt.