Joaquin Rodrigo: Concierto De Aranjuez (Brass Band Score/Parts) Joaquin Rodrigo: Con

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Flugelgeoff, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Flugelgeoff

Flugelgeoff Member

I am trying to locate a copy of this piece but it seems to be out of print. So does anyone have a copy they would like to lend or sell please?
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

If you're talking about the Bolton arrangement I still can't remember if it was ever made legal or not......
  3. Flugelgeoff

Flugelgeoff Member

Actually I don't know of any "history", just fancy having a go at it. Any arrangement would do.
  4. boagy

boagy Member

I have a 10 piece arrangement of this. I have sent you a PM.
  5. rikster

rikster New Member

There is an arrangement of Concieto by Alan Fernie, published by obrasso, and was available through "just music".
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

As far as I'm aware, it wasn't... though I could well be mistaken.
  7. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Yes, it was available, but no longer, due to the same copyright problems that has always prevented the Bolton one being released.
  8. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

That's a shame, it's a stonking arrangement. Are we still "allowed" to play it?!
  9. british1

british1 Member

Hi Alan. Does that mean that it has never been recorded, or it cant ever be recorded in the future
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

AFAIK the Bolton arrangement (the manuscript one that hundreds of bands seem to have a copy of) is still NOT authorised by the copyright holders. Rodrigo's estate exercise fairly tight control over the arrangement or transcription of his music. There is also a Darrol Barry arrangement for full band (not a solo) which did make it into print, although this may now be unavailable due to the same legal issues that Alan refers to ^^.
  11. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

...but the Bolton arrangement is shown as being the one used on the CD, "Live 2", by the Brass Band of Battle Creek, currently advertised on their website :confused:
  12. KMJ Recordings

It's in Brassed Off as well.

Special arrangements with the Estate may have been made in both cases.

If an arrangement isn't sanctioned for 'public' use and unauthorised use is found, such users may be liable to civil prosecution plus forced withdrawal of product, monetary compensation and a host of other things.

This has happened several times before.
  13. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Why not let it be published? The estate stands to make to make no money from it and it is a fine arrangement. 75 years from now it will be a great piece that is finally in the public domain.

I heard that even when they filmed "Brassed Off" there were some legal hassles about it way back then. Composers do not write pieces to sit in a cabinet for years and years. Music is an expression of an art, it can have wonderful powers to reach and move people.

If you truly love it, let it go. I cannot imagine Bach being approached to have one of his pieces played and saying "no". Now there may be a rare circumstance where a band is not up to the task. But most bands that would want to play it, and/or recorded it would be up to the task.

A brass quintet bought a copy of my music and ask to record it. I gave them permission with some very reasonable circumstances (that I would get a copy of the recording to use to promote the piece later). I can tell you it was recorded and my request denied. I suppose I had legal remedies, but the only people who when legal battles are the lawyers.

14. KMJ Recordings

It's not as the Composer intended it. If they choose to have their music performed as they intended and pass this wish on to their Estate then that's their right.
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I can imagine him saying "No" to someone re-writing the Santa Anna for Kazoos though...

The way it was told to me (Someone please correct me if I've been given Duff info) is that it's not that Rodrigo did not want people playing his music. Quite the opposite! But it's all about context.

I was told the reason he did not want the arrangement of Concierto D'Aranjuez made legal is because, as you state, music is an expression of art, and he did not believe what he was trying to express could be got across by anything other than a guitar.
  16. The truth is that, as popular as the arrangement is, it is hardly a faithful re-representation of the original.

So I'm not sure that the estate would rather have all arrangements sitting in the "cabinet for years", just the (In their opinion) bad ones!

Music is much more than an expression of art ; how about an expression of emotion too - and that is what the middle movement of the concerto is, an outpouring of emotion about a very sensitive subject to the composer, and possibly even more sensitive to his wife.

I think it is good that the composer's estate has a bit of musical integrity.
  17. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

It was recorded by John Doyle and Black Dyke on the "Spectacular Classics" vol.5 from Obrasso.

They asked me to do a quick version of it as an emergency - I wrote it on the Friday evening, it was faxed to them Saturday morning and performed that night! - but I was amazed when they released it, and not at all surprised when it was withdrawn, as I also believe that it was a fairly personal thing from the Rodrigo estate.

Also, for the record, it's not got an awful lot to do with the original Guitar thing, just another version of what Kevin Bolton had done with it, which I suspect came from the "Manuel's Music of the Mountains" version of it from the 1970's(?).

But there must be a market for it, for while it was available, it sold heaps!!
  18. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I think the main reason that the arrangements have not been given publication permissions are due to the reasons and motivation for Rodriggo writing the piece in the first place. I believe the piece was written as a commeration of a desceased friend or relative.
    Also, the fact that arrangements were made, played, circulated without permission in the first place probably doesn't help.
    Having said this, Miles Davis recorded a version on Sketches of Spain album, and there is also a version on the London Trumpet Sound Vol 1. I'm sure there are others too..
  19. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Have you heard the original?

The brass band version just takes one theme from the 2nd movement of the original concerto.

This may also influence the composers estate's decision not to permit publication.
  20. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

In a similar way, Imogen Holst stopped the Isao Tomita version of the Planets for a long time. (For those who never heard any of Tomita's albums, I can reccomend his version of Pictures at An Exhibition and the Debusy album he did)