JJB Wigan Brass & Bier Fest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Naomi McFadyen, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Full Results:
    Thanks to 4BR...

Winner

Overall March Winner £1500 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Hepworth Persimmon Homes Band - The Wizard

Overall Hymn Tune Winner £300 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Hepworth Persimmon Homes Band - Myfanwy

Prizes to highest placed bands NOT judged to be overall March or Hymn Tune Winner

Championship Section March Winner £500 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Leyland - Knight Templar

Championship Section Hymn Tune Winner £200 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Wingates - Nearer My God To Thee

1st Section March Winner £500 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Marsden - Honest Toil

1st Section Hymn Tune Winner £200 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Pemberton Old Wigan JJB - Swedish Folk Song

2nd Section March Winner £500 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Wire Brass - Honest Toil

2nd Section Hymn Tune Winner £200 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Wire Brass - Dear Lord and Father of Mankind

3rd Section March Winner £500 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    United Norwest 2000 - The President

3rd Section Hymn Tune Winner £200 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    United Norwest 2000 - Aurelia

4th Section March Winner £500 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Valley Brass - Australsian

4th Section Hymn Tune Winner £200 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Hesketh Bank - Nearer My God To Thee

Youth Section March Winner £500 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Pemberton Youth - Black Rock

Youth Section Hymn Tune Winner £200 plus Wigan Brass & Beer JJB Trophy
    Pemberton Youth - Nearer My God To Thee

;-)

2. BoogieJoe

BoogieJoe New Member

Naomi,

I don't suppose you (or anyone) knows the placings after the first prizes, or how or where I can find out. Get it sorted, nice one

3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'm not sure mate...

But someone else may know...

8)

4. Blagger

Blagger Member

Thats alot of prize money knocking about.............. :shock:
    Was it well attended :?:

5. jonford

jonford Member

There were 24 bands in all. The North stand was never full of people watching but I suppose it would be pretty hard to fill!

6. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I think there were 24 bands attended. Not sure on audience numbers though if that's what you mean. We didn't play particularly well IMO, so was nice to pick up a bit of cash :)

7. barkiniron

barkiniron New Member

Well done to Hepworth and congratulations on a profitable weekend on Friday and Sunday. However, I believe they played Myfannwy as the hymn tune on Sunday. Isn't this a song?
    As far as I am aware, it was written by Joseph Parry about his childhood sweetheart (Myfannwy) and as far as I know doesn't have any religious connotations. :roll:

8. BBBfYBS

BBBfYBS Member

Myfannwy was arranged by Denzil Stephens, and has been accepted as a hymn in the past for Hepworth at Brighouse march contest. Three years on the trot.

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

erm Myfanwy arranged by denzil stephens there are two versions one as a euphonium solo , and a full band version.
    it's just a slow melody as stated above , it's not a hymn , also this isn't the Brighouse march contest it was the JJB..
    Well done to Wire Brass tho...

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Regarding "Myfannwy" this was raised in an article in the BB some months back to which I meant to reply, but never got round to. In The Salvation Army we have used several sets of words at various times to the tune, and if you look around there are very many so-called "hymn tunes" that were originally written for other purposes.

A quick search through a couple of hymnals that I have in the house revealed over 50, including arias from operas, themes from orchestral works and folk tunes. Vaughan Williams, for one, was very adept at finding folk tunes that would be suitable for church use, including such an established favourite as "Monks Gate", now used for "He who would valiant be".

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wigan
    JJB
    Bier Fest
    Hepworth
    sky
  12. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Surely a hymn is a song of praise or joy?
    Can such things not be secular, like a paean?

Think I'm going to hand my resignation in guys.
    We've been more successful in ONE WEEKEND (without me) than we have been since I joined.

Nice knowing y'all,

your ex-Animal.

13. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I'm a little surprised that hymn tunes still feature at any band contest. It seems routed in a bygone age and now says something about the pace the brass band movement advances.

14. peasantband

peasantband New Member

I am thinking that the HYmn that of which you speak are the good test of the bandd. In our peasant band we play much of the fast music but always for the control and the good hearing of the band we are playing the traditional religious hymns. It is for the balance andsound. Also we have the folk music but in the england i am thinking that you do not still followthe folk village music like you do the pop so if not the hymn, what would be to use to test the bands in this way?

The religion is not the popular as it once was but the music, it speaks well of your history and faith.

15. Heppy

Heppy Member

We anticipated this response so we checked it out midweek with the organisers of the Wigan JJB contest and sure enough they accepted it as a hymn. They said that there was no problem with us playing it and it was well within the rules. There were several complaints from bands on the day about Myfanwy, or Arabella as it is also known as it is not strictly a hymn. As we have had this problem before and there was an article in the BB we thought we had better check it out before hand.

p.s Thankyou to Pemberton Old Band for their generous invitation to go back to their band 'oile. If we had known just that bit earlier we could have had a word with the driver of the bus but unfortunately it was too late. Thanks again it was much appreciated.

16. welldone hepworth!!!! What a fantastic weekend!!!

17. critic

critic Member

wigan march and hymn contest

what a fantastic contest this was 'heard some exellent playing but it has toi be said hepworth were terrific. David read and David Horsefield got it spot on in there results andcomments. as for well worth it saying he was resigning he must be joking he is i understand a legend on percussion at hepworth. also well done Pemberton youth band for a splendid twenty minutes concert before the results. You finished of the day perfectly and were a credit to your organisation.

18. Ali

Ali Member

Once again, congratulations to the Hepworth band on another fine win. Both performances were top class.

19. Blagger wrote
    Thats alot of prize money knocking about..............
    Was it well attended

What more could you wish for, a great contest and free Pie and Peas to boot.
    This is only the second year that the contest has been held, There were 12 bands last year and 24 this year, The good thing is you know when you are playing, and the prize money is such that all sections of bands have the chance of coming away with some cash.
    Also heard that there may be an increase in prize money next year, but could be a limited entry.
    Well done Hepworth and hope you attend next year and come to Pem. band room for a few gallons after.

20. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

A hymn is a hymn, Myfannwy is not a hymn, it is hymn like, but it is not a hymn. It may well be that words of thanksgiving and praise have been set to the music, but it is not an ESTABLISHED hymn, like "I vow to thee my country", and many others. I have heard several 'popular' songs with religious words set to them, eg, "Jesus in the sky with Angels", (Lucy in the sky with diamonds), but it is not a hymn.

21. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

A hymn does NOT have to have ANYTHING to do with religion to be a hymn. [see earlier post]
    I know that this is unlikely to be sour grapes, as by all accounts that I've heard, there were few doubting the results.

From a purely linguistic standpoint however, my band's choice of test piece fulfills ALL criteria for a hymn.
    Whether it is established or not is of little/no consideration.
    Coming to think about it, it IS established in the respect that we've played it [and won on it] before.

Sorry TIMBONE, I've read all of your previous posts and - on the whole - I agree with what you've said and respect your opinions, but Myfannwy IS a hymntune, sir.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wigan
    JJB
    Bier Fest
    Hepworth
    sky