Jim Shepherd

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by John Brooks, Sep 26, 2014.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I just read an item on 4BarsRest that included the following quote from Jim Shepherd - "“I haven’t got much from my time at Dyke really, just a cap badge and the odd photograph...". Maybe that's the limit of his personal memorabilia but for me he's left an outstanding legacy of solo recordings and also his leadership as principal cornet (for example Kensington Concerto).

I'd like to say to Jim, maybe you don't have many souvenirs from your time at Dyke, but we have so much and for that I want to say a huge thank you. You have been and continue to be an inspiration and I'm sure others on here will agree.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    4BarsRest
    Kensington Concerto
    Jim Shepherd
    Dyke
    limit
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

James Shepherd is a legend in his own lifetime and has been for decades. As a young person his skill was held up to me as the pinnacle of achievement to aim and strive for, only a very very few got anywhere near championship band entry level but we were all all the better for trying to be the next Jimmy Shepherd. He might not have noticed but his time at Black Dyke seems to have given him the respect of many, a good name which does have a value.

4. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Jim Shepherd is an absolute gent. I played with a band in Ireland that were fortunate to receive funding from a local business to organise a masterclass weekend event. So, we used the money to bring Jim over and spend about four days with us. What an absolute gentleman he is. To his ears, we must have sounded absolutely woeful, but he did not even flinch or grimace once over the entire event. He was encouraging and positive about everything and everybody. And it did not seem in any way forced: he is just a really very nice guy.

Over the few days, he managed to get a programme together that enabled us to put on a concert at the end. Needless to say, brass banders from everywhere came to it. Jim conducted the band for some numbers, sat in with the band for others, and played some feature solos at the concert as well. He would have been in his late 50s or early 60s at the time, and he simply blew us away with his playing. An absolute phenomenon. Slow melodies (first time I had heard 'Share my Yolk') and the thunder and lightning playing all seemed effortless to him. I just can't speak highly enough about Jim Shepherd. I think he is to brass banding what Pele is to football.

5. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

*Clearly, that should read 'Share by Yoke'....though the alternative has amusing connotations

6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Which equally clearly should read "Share My Yoke". ;)

7. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

DAMN IT!!!

Share....My....Yoke....