Jelly and Blancmange

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BassBoneShep, Mar 22, 2006.

1. BassBoneShep

BassBoneShep Member

Daughters 1st Birthday party is less than a fortnight away and I have a dilemma. We are arranging a birthday party and want the usual kids food including jelly and blancmange.

Finding jelly in the shops, no problem but what has happended to packet mixes of blancmanage. One of the major supermarkets sells an assorted flavours packet but that will leave three in the cupboard to go out of date and join the one which is already five years out of date.

Particulary looking for chocolate flavour, HELP ??
  2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I have 3 packets of blancmange in my cupboard chocolate, vanilla and raspberry (made the strawberry about 10 mins ago). I get it from my local ASDA its about 90p for a pack of 4. Only available in mixed packs. I'll drop you a pm with my number on. If you can't get any locally let me know and I'll get you some up here and post it to you
  3. michellegarbutt

Sorry misread the post and din't realise you could get the mixed packs. If you want the 1 packet of chocolate I have let me know cos I don't actually like that flavour. I think my mum may also have a packet of chocolate lurking in her cupboard as well
  4. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Not strictly blancmange, but if you can't find any you could try Angel Delight maybe? I think they do a no added sugar chocolate one, good for all those little teeth!
  5. michellegarbutt

After checking my recipe books I found the following and it's made exactly the same way as the packet mixes

4 level tbsps (60 ml) cornflour
    568 ml (1 pint) milk
    2 oz (50 g) melted chocolate
    3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar

1. Blend the cornflour to a smooth paste with 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the milk.

2. Boil the remaining milk and add itto the paste, stirring well.

3. Return the mixture to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add sugar and chocolate. Stir in well

4. Rinse jelly mould with cold water then pour blancmange in and put in fridge for several hours until set. To turn out dip bowl into hot water for a few minutes
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I hope you've got a rabbit mould for the blancmange and plenty of green jelly for the grass ;)
  7. Di

Di Active Member

Wow, kiddies birthday parties. Ahhh, those were the days! Are they eating "sarnies" yet? We used to use things like play doh cutters, you know, all the animal shaped things, to cut cute little finger sized sarnies. They looked really nice even if half of them ended up on the floor! :rolleyes:

Enjoy this years party. It'll be the last one where you can strap them in a chair and keep 'em still. ;) Soon it will be BJ the clown parties, then bouncy castle parties. Not long and you'll be on to disco's and before you know it, you'll be taking a car load of 16 year olds adrenalin tubing at the local snow dome.

Gawsh, they grow up so fast. :frown:

Seriously, though have fun. :)
  8. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

jelly.. yum
  9. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

angel delight is the way forward now... what is blancmange anyhow? sounds like a disease...
  10. pmsl
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

What is blancmange? :eek:

How old do I feel now? :( The youth of today don't know anything about proper party food :tongue:
  12. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

Hi all just want to see if my pic is working below my user name. Fingers the way blancmange is awesome stuff!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2006
  13. michellegarbutt

jelly and blancmange was our favourite dessert at school. We had a layer of red jelly on the bottom, a layer of pink blancmange on top and a swirl of mock cream on it.

For the uninitiated and all those deprived kids blancmange is like a cross between angel delight and custard. It tastes fantastic and no party was complete in the 70's without jelly and blancmange
  14. BassBoneShep

BassBoneShep Member

Thanks for the comments, might have a bash at making it from the receipe although have cake etc., also to do.
    Nice to see I am not alone with proper party food. Chocolate animal shapes, saus on sticks, iced gems just to mention a few.
  15. michellegarbutt

Don't forget ritz crackers with a slice of tomato and cheese on it and most important hot dogs, pickled onions and cheese stuck on cocktail sticks and pushed into a potato or orange wrapped in silver foil to make a hedgehog
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not forgetting the sponge slab cut into oblongs and decorated like dominos ;)
  17. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Mmmmmm Iced Gems!! Can you save a few for me please mate? They're my fave!:biggrin: :tup
  18. *pukes all over you*
  19. HBB

HBB Active Member

There's a welcome for ya!!!! :)
  20. jenzi

jenzi Member

Iced Gems rule! :cool: I still don't get what blancmange is though, I have never heard of it!