Jean Michel Jarre - Rendez Vous 2

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigcol, Oct 22, 2004.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

Has any done, or has anyone thought about doing, Rendez-Vous 2 by Jean Michel Jarre for band?

Dunno about you, but I think it's got entertainment's contest finisher written all over it!

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Yes...stuff like Oxygene too , loads of stuff like that would work ,
    A few years ago I heard a 10 piece group do some hits by the Jam ( English Rose , Thats Entertainment , Town Called Malice ) was brilliant..
    still want to get " Golden Brown " by the Stranglers done for an entertainment competition..
  3. bigcol

bigcol Member

Oxygene is a bit too "effect-laden" for me for it to work as a source for a BB piece. There's a midi file of Rendez-vous 2 knocking about on the internet - you'd just convert it and drop it into Finale, and add a few markings ;)

Oh if I only had the time...and the copyright clearance :D
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Yes but with microphones and a keyboard with band , most electronic music would work...hows about some Vangelis..
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You'll be suggesting "Chariots of Fire" (yawn) next :p
  6. Pete Meechan

Pete Meechan Member

Yeah - I did one a year ago or so - never got round to getting it played though. Have seen the guy live a few times - I guess that you can never beat it!!!
  7. bigcol

bigcol Member

Which piece did you do Pete? There's three being mentioned in this thread now!
  8. Pete Meechan

Pete Meechan Member

RV 2
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wonder if a Jarre arrangement would attract an outside audience though? One album transcribed for band may sell though ... that age-old classic of Mike Oldfield ... Tubular Bells. Why? He has tried almost every other way of re-vamping the original to sell copies. Just get him to overlay some of his guitar playing over the rescored brass & perc. (and whatever else needs included) & I'm sure it would work! (famous last words :rolleyes: )
  10. bigcol

bigcol Member

cool - what was the ultimate fate of said arrangement?
  11. bigcol

bigcol Member

yeah but the original gets boring after 10 mins or so - imagine how boring a BB version would be?

Plus it is in irrelgular 9/4. The poor conductor would be doing circles and taking Kalms after 10 bars!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

;) .... I take it that any serious attempt of minimalist music for brass band would be a no-go too? (... pencils out any Terry Riley, Steve Reich, Philip Glass etc. :-( ).
  13. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Wasn't Rendezvous 1 the music used by ITV as their theme music to the 1998 World Cup in France or was it something else?
  14. bigcol

bigcol Member

Blame Mr. Jarre's minimalistic titles!! The piece you are referring too I think is Rendez-Vous IV. The one I was mentioning was Rendez-Vous II. :-D Suppose it saves you trying to think up good titles.
  15. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I have made what I consider an excellent arrangement of John Cage's "4 minutes 33 seconds" for Brass Band if anyone's interested.

[although, to be perfectly honest, since Cages original score bears the inscription "to be performed in any way, by any one" it could perhaps be regarded as an original potential Brass Band work]

I have looked at Cage and his contemporaries other works too and considered a Band arrangement of La Monte Young's work "Piano Piece for David Tudor #1" where you put a BBb bass down next to a chicken madras and a pint of bitter and the piece ends when the bass finishes eating and drinking. Not sure Brass Band audiences are quite ready for this Avant Gard approach just yet though (and not sure BBb players could leave the beer alone for the full length of the piece).
  16. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

You can easily beat seeing JMJ in concert, I performed with him at Destination Docklands in 1988 [​IMG]
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:D neat! I would like to see an adjudicator's comments for 4'33" !!! (probably the most minimalist of all compositions). And one conductor from the Nationals has had experience conducting part of it too ... ;)