James Watson RIP

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by John_D, Feb 6, 2011.

1. John_D

John_D Member

Sadly taken from us early today. A great trumpeter and a great conductor. RIP
  2. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

The James Watson? What's the story?
  3. John_D

John_D Member

very few details at present. Black Dyke (Alex) posted it on facebook around half an hour ago
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I've just head that through FB too. Sad news.
  5. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

there's a phenomenal section being put together up there. What a shock... RIP another great legend of the Orchestral and banding world.
  6. John_D

John_D Member

7. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Rest in peace.

8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I was shocked and saddened wha I saw the announcement about James Watson. A fine musician, MD and all round person. RIP JAMES WATSON.
  9. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

That's sad to hear. I really enjoyed him taking the National Youth Brass Band of Wales courses in the late 1990s. Sometimes he would play the trumpet to show a few things- what a player! RIP.
  10. A great man who still had much to offer. He was a gentleman in every sense of the word and would always have time for you as an individual. I had met him briefly once at a music function and thought that was it. Imagine my surprise when I bumped into him in a park in Watford one day and found I was living close by. I was invited to his house where I was made really welcome. A sad loss and not very old, - thanks for the memories maestro!
  11. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

Such a sad loss...R.I.P.
  12. stopher

stopher Member

That's awful news. I have some memories of the NYBBW under Mr Watson - one rehearsal where picked up a cornet stone cold and showed us what he wanted, his comments on le roi Dys where the 2nd and 3rd cornets created some magic during the Euph solo ( "it sounds amazing, you could never play it if it was written but play it like that at the Open and you would come last")
  13. Texus

Texus Member

One word. Revelations.
  14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

A sad loss to the brass world

Was he really just 59?
  15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Very sad news indeed, a great loss to banding and music
  16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Absolutely tragic.
    I remember him as being a little lad in the NYBBGB in the 60s when I was a fair bit older than him.
    We also both competed at a lot of Slow Melody Contests.
    As said earlier, the Heavenly "Front Row" has had a real boost recently.
    Their gain is our loss.

- Mr Wilx
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

A great loss of a real gentleman.

We were privileged to have James as soloist for one of our pre-contest festivals with Cambridge Heath, and the rehearsal when we ran through "Tucker" was incredible. Unfortunately on the night itself the cornet items did not work so well, but the trumpet items were still phenomenal.

I will also never forget his final concert with Dyke at the Royal Academy of Music - really emotional evening with a stunning "Dove descending" and an excellent "Horovitz Concerto" with Bob Childs.

I'll also remember him as a devoted teacher, encouraging his various student groups and always ready to chat with the punters.
  18. Brassbones

Brassbones Member

Shell shocked!!!!! 59!!! RIP Jim :'o(
  19. Toby

Toby Member

Ain't that the truth. Great musician, allied with charisma and the 'gift of the gab' = inspirational man and musician
  20. Playabit

Playabit Member

RIP James...Abide with me will be played at Parr Band tomorrow for this much loved and respected Gentleman..