James Shepherd Versatile Brass Reform!

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by JWcornet, Jun 8, 2013.

1. JWcornet

JWcornet Member

The big reunion…

James Shepherd Versatile Brass are reforming as part of Lofthouse Brass Band's series of concerts entitled 'Festival of Brass'.

The concert will be held at Outwood WMC, Ledger Land, Wakefield on Friday 21st June at 7.30pm and will be the first in the series of concerts hosted by the band. Lofthouse MD, Andrew Whitaker commented "This concert is promised to be very special indeed. I have know James Shepherd for a number of years now and played under him in the Jayess band back in the 80s. The group are very special and we are privileged to be hosting their first come back concert. For anyone who hasn't already seen them in action I can promise a great performance not to be missed!"

At the request of Versatile Brass, Lofthouse Brass Band will perform a short concert programme before the concert.

Tickets for the event are priced at £10 adults and £7 concessions. They are limited and are selling fast, so be sure to book early at lofthousebrassband@hotmail.com or call 07876 800 929.

Full details can be found at www.lofhousebrassband.org.uk.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    James Shepherd
    James Shepherd Versatile Brass
    Jayess
    James Shepherd Versatile Brass Reform
    Lofthouse Brass Band
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Did you miss the "t" out of Lofthouse web page as I can't open it.

~ Mr Wilx.

4. JWcornet

JWcornet Member

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Any idea who will be performing with JSVB? Also, do I correctly assume this is a one-off reunion event and not a reformation of the group?

6. JWcornet

JWcornet Member

Hi,

Lofthouse Brass Band will perform a short concert of around 5 pieces before JSVB hit the stage. The group are looking at reforming and this will be their first concert of many for them. I don't have any more details on any other concerts yet.

Hope this answers your question. If you want to know anything else then let me know.

James

www.lofthousebrassband.org.uk

7. hopeless

hopeless New Member

[h=2]James Shepherd Versatile Brass Reform![/h]
    The big reunion…

James Shepherd Versatile Brass are reforming as part of Lofthouse Brass Band's series of concerts entitled 'Festival of Brass'.

Who is playing in the group ? as I hear it isn't the same players who played in the JSVB Reunion concert at Brighouse Festival a few years ago. It was in celebration of an Australian trip 30yrs previously. I was there at the concert...brilliant ....received excellent reviews. Frank Renton was Conducting and he was superb.
    Please tell us the line up, I would like to go to the Lofthouse concert, specially as it isn't far to travel, but don't want to be disappointed if it is a different set of players.

8. JWcornet

JWcornet Member

Hi

I don't have a list of the members, however I do have the programme (below). I will try and get the members on here this week for you. We regually update our Facebook with news from the event http://www.facebook.com/lofthousebrassband

Cornet Solo - Concert Etude. - Goedicke.
    Soloist - Robert Westacott.

Flugel Solo - I Know Why.
    Soloist - David Pogson.

The Londonderry Air -Trad. arr. H Snell.
    Featuring Kevin Holdgate Trombone.

Horn Solo - Concerto for Oboe. - A. Marcello.
    Soloist - Helen Varley.

Bass Trombone Solo. - Makin Whoopee.
    Soloist - Trevor Slade.

Trombone Trio. - There is Nothing Like a Dame. -Richard Rodgers.
    Soloists - Kevin Holdgate-Nigel Lawless - Trevor Slade.

Tickets available from 07876 800 929 or email:lofthousebrassband@hotmail.co.uk

More details to follow soon!

9. JWcornet

JWcornet Member

James Shepherd Versatile Brass line up announced:

Dr Owen Wedgewood - Conductor
    James Shepherd - Cornet/Trumpet
    Rob Westacott - Cornet/Trumpet
    Philip Varley - Cornet/Trumpet
    David Pogson - Cornet/Trumpet/Flugal Horn
    Helen Varley - Tenor Horn
    Kevin Holdgate - Tenor Trombone
    Trevor Slade - Bass Trombone
    Nigel Lawless - Euphonium/Tenor Trombone
    Colin Aspinall - Eb Bass
    John Turnbull - Percussion.

Tickets available from 07876 800 929 or email:lofthousebrassband@hotmail.co.uk

Stay tuned at facebook.com/lofthousebrassband for more information.

10. hopeless

hopeless New Member

[h=2]James Shepherd Versatile Brass Reform![/h]
    The big reunion…

Thank you for the list of players, NOT exactly The big reunion that you advertised .

It should be a good concert anyway, but with many of the well known names associated with JSVB missing , I would have said it is a new JSVB is making it's 1st appearance.

Thank you again for the list, I would have certainly felt really cheated if I had turned up on the 21st, expecting the same group that I saw at the Brighouse Concert.

Hope the new JSVB lives up to the same standards.​

11. tristannoshow

tristannoshow New Member

Perhaps some clarification is needed here. JSVB has reformed. It was the idea of Jim himself and obviously, I would have thought, many of the past players are now retired from playing meaning some new players had to be found.
    Those in the know will recognise around half of the names listed above are former members. They, and the new players, were personally invited by Mr Shepherd to start the group again.
    It seems some people thought it would be a reunion of past players and if anyone has been under that misconception then the group would like to apologise, we never intended to mislead anyone.
    We're all really looking forward to the first performance tonight and hope everyone who attends enjoys the show.
    If you didn't get a ticket for this one please have a look at https://www.facebook.com/groups/162535927135457/permalink/511419902247056/ for the next performance.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    James Shepherd
    James Shepherd Versatile Brass
    Jayess
    James Shepherd Versatile Brass Reform
    Lofthouse Brass Band
  13. hopeless

hopeless New Member

Those in the know will recognise around half of the names listed above are former members.

It seems some people thought it would be a reunion of past players.....
    probably because the sub title in your post said the big reunion..... what else would we think?

Anyway, thank you for the information, although the day of the concert may be too late for some. I remember Messrs , Aspinall and Holgate being former members when James was in the group, But personally, I do not remember any of the other 8 being in at the same time as him. which, if I am right ( and I could be wrong) would only add up to less than 1/3rd (3 out of 11) playing in the new JSVB.
    All this said, I am looking forward to the concert , I have no doubt they all are fine players, otherwise James would not have invited them. So I wish them the very best for a successful concert.

14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Sadly it has also been announced that Jim himself is ill, and wont' be playing tonight. Hope he's fit for the Imperial Club next week. :)