James Morrison and Black Dyke DVD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Band Lads Army, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Firstly ,what an amazing talent this guy is and it's a great dvd. Secondly ,I was wondering if there is a glitch on "Intrada Ein feste' burg" on anybody elses dvd? It's about a second or so pause , but it's annoying me!

I might just have to put up with it ,I didn't have money with me at the nationals and I wanted it straight away so I bought it off the Dyke stall at Derby the other night(and watched it about 3 times already).

Thanks for any responses

2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I do have a glitch somewhere...not sure where though. I'm watching it now (for about the 15th time) so I'll check. Incredible dvd and not only is the music great, its entertaining to watch too. *is hooked*

3. claireylou

claireylou New Member

A must buy DVD.

I might be seen as a touch biased, but this DVD is fantastic!!!! James Morrison is astounding, with a range and ability on Trumpet and Trombone like i`ve never heard before. He includes lots of party tricks such as multiphonics and alternating trom and tpt each bar- with a ridiculous range. Watch out for players faces on hearing him play!!! He was accompanied by both the band and an ace jazz trio- featuring the bands Lee Skipsey on drums. What a kit player!! :D The Bridgewater Hall was filled to maximum capacity and raised a staggering £ 35000 for Francis House children`s hospice in Manchester. This really is a concert that shows Black Dyke in it`s 150th year to it`s true potential. Enough said! Buy this DVD. It`s truly ace.

4. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

A touch biased here too??!! Sorry mate. James Morrison was in Auckland last week and was awesome. Could have done with a slightly more extrovert kit player.

Would love to get this DVD will put it on my letter to santa. I'll probably get pyjamas though.

5. claireylou

claireylou New Member

Hello stranger!! Really was a fab concert. I`ll see if I can have a quiet word with santa for you. X

6. The drums for the jazz are good not that impressive though. I'm disappointed I've not come across a really outstanding kit player in a championship section band to listen to of yet. Tune percussionists and allrounder percussionists are in a large quantity and of large quality. Maybe I'm a little bit unfair in my comments having come back from watching Dream Theater this evening with arguably one of the worlds best drummers:)

I would agree about the DVD though , its fantastic , I keep watching it. James Morrison is deffo in the worlds best trumpeters and trombone player categories from the standard shown , truly awesome. Does he play anything else? I'd love to hear this guy live.

7. highlander

highlander New Member

multi instrumentalist

Does he play anything else?

This guy plays all saxophones, all trombones, all trumpets and piano on one of his bigband recordings. He also plays euphonium and tuba on the same cd.

8. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

We reckon that it's about half a second but once you're aware of these things I guess that they start to get irritating.

This is the first product that we have produced as a 'dual layer' disc. The theory is that it enables you to get twice as much content on one disc and saves the viewer swapping discs part way through the concert like you do on Eric Ball - A Celebration in Brass for example. Most feature films have adopted this technology and most feature films have a moment in them where something like this (looks like a tiny 'pause' or 'freeze' before the thing moves on again) happens. What is actually happening at this point is that the reading of the disc is moving from one 'layer' to the other. The secret is to try to minimise the 'pause' or 'freeze' so that it is almost, if not totally, hidden. At lot depends on what action is occurring at the time but do remember that this was a filmed live concert and not a studio produced feature film where unlimited editing is possible.

9. WorldofBrass.com

The James Morrison Gospel Collection lists Trumpet, Trombone, Saxes, Flugel Horn, Piano and Organ!

10. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

'So far so good' (the best of James Morrison) is a pretty amazing cd. Recommend it! Saw him live at Wigan jazz festival (see avatar!!!) as well as with Black Dyke and he was incredible.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    russian
    Black Dyke DVD
    James Morrison
    SA
    great kit players
  12. Thanks Carl , that's fine ,I understand.

13. WorldofBrass.com

OK, some more information has now come to light from our production company as far moving from the 1st layer to 2nd layer is concerned.

It seems that the time that the laser takes to move is dependent on the relative quality of the DVD player that you are using! The time will vary between 0.25 and 0.5 seconds.
    There is nothing that can be done to limit the duration of the 'switch point' but what is possible is to modify the position of the 'switch point'.
    In future, on WoB product we'll endeavour to make the 'switch point' occur during a transition or applause rather than in a music track.

Apparently, the producers of feature films are making no attempts to disguise the location of switch points. They will occur whenever the authoring technology thinks the 1st layer is full and a switch to the 2nd layer is required.

Therefore, we will go one better than the film producers and decide more appropriate switch points for future WoB DVDs. If you watch films, you'll just have to put up with inappropriately located switch points until Universal Studios, Disney etc. catch up with WoB!

14. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

I have a glitch too - it makes everyone in the band appear as though they are chewing gum throughout the show.

I obviously have an inferior quality DVD player!

15. The Animal

The Animal New Member

No bug in DVD

Hi everyone,

if you think you have a bug in the DVD from the Dyke 150 in the Intrada, it's the compression of the DVD which gives this small split second freeze on your screen.

16. bERb

bERb New Member

I agree, Portnoy is not bad!

17. The Animal

The Animal New Member

Portnoy versus Portnoy

:) Keep on dreaming in the theater, my friend!! :D

18. skippy

skippy New Member

I know lots of great kit players in all sections of the banding world including the SA and just wondered what your looking out for. Is it insperation, because I can introduce you to some great people, or are you there already? And frustrated that you weren`t up there yourself! Don`t like to see any percussionist downhearted! I loved every minute of that concert, whatever it sounds like. And always do! ​

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Skippy, I think it's about horizons. One man's 'great kit player' is another man's 'adequate timekeeper'.

If, like me, you are into other types of music (rock, metal and such like) then you encounter drummers whose ability is frankly scary.

In terms of the kit drumming on this DVD, well, it's fine. It's tidy drumming for that genre. No more no less, and let's be honest it wasn't the time or place to go tearing round the kit. The breaks were vey tidy and appropriate. I'm not complaining, it was fine for the type of music you were backing. Very tasteful and I'm certainly not having a go at all!

All in all it's an amazing DVD. Morrison is incredible!

Edited- by the way, I love the looks on the faces of some of your Black Dyke colleagues on that DVD when Morrison is playing!

20. claireylou

claireylou New Member

Hi Jonsey! Interesting reading! This comparison is a little wierd! You`re talking about styles of playin, rather than ability! Who would be better? skippy sat behind a heavy metal band or your favouriute heavy metal drummer behind Black Dyke and James Morrison? Just to make this even more interesting!

21. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Well, not exactly. I am talking about ability. I'm basically saying 'greatness' is subjective.

Buddy Rich, in pure technical terms, was light years behind some of the modern drummers like Virgil Donati and Thomas Lang who who possess mindblowing ability. Same goes for Hendrix when compared to some modern day fretburners. That's not to say that the both of them weren't 'great' at what they did and pioneers of their instruments.

Great playing is in the eye of the beholder.

One thing's for sure, the DVD in question most certainly is great!

Well... if you like that sort of thing ;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    russian
    Black Dyke DVD
    James Morrison
    SA
    great kit players