Jagrins once again sponsors OBAF composition contest

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by DublinBass, Dec 14, 2008.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Jagrins Music Publication and the Ohio Brass Arts Festival (hosted by the Central Ohio Brass Band) have once again teamed up to sponsor a composition contest for the 2009 Ohio Brass Arts Festival.

Composers wishing to compete are asked to compose an original slow melody piece for traditional British brass band. The slow melody should be based on a folksong or hymn and should be 3-5 minutes in duration. The three finalists will recieve cash prizes, with a top cash prize of $300 (US).

The three finalists will be premiered by the Repertoire Band on Friday, March 13th, 2009 at Weigel Hall, The Ohio State University. Additionally, to qualify for any of the prizes, you agree to Jagrins Music Publications publishing your piece.

Entries are due by Saturday, January 31, 2009 and can be e-mailed to entrants@ohiobrassbands.com. Preferred submission format is a Sibelius file, if you need to enter via another method, please contact the Ohio Brass Arts Festival. More information on the Ohio Brass Arts Festival can be found at www.ohiobrassbands.com

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Jagrins Music Publication
    Jagrins
    OBAF
    US
    British
  3. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

"Standard Format". Sibelius Music automatic function puts 1st and 2nd bones in bass clef along with the bass trombone and the rest in treble clef. I always thought 1st and 2nd bones were in treble clef Bb (same as the cornets).

Care to clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Jim

4. DublinBass

1st and 2nd trombones should be in treble clef.

(BTW, when I select brass band format in Sibelius that's how it comes up)

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

In Sibelius 5 it's set up for 3 trombones in bass clef. They've never ever got it quite right!

6. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

It earlier versions, it was in treble clef. Here is the solution for those using Sibelius 5.

When first starting to write a piece, select all the first trombone (click on the first measure - then double-click to select the whole line. Then go to CREATE from the menu bar, select OTHER, then select INSTRUMENT CHANGE. Look in the bass section for "Trombone Treble Clef Bb" and select it.

It will change the whole line to Bb Treble Clef. Do the same for 2nd Trombone. If you have problems, send me a PM and I will send you a blank template corrected.

Jim

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I've started on a piece, (but might as well not bother if HBB is entering too!), but have come across a problem.

Does anyone know how to get baby pooh off music scores?

8. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

With Honey???

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm fine, thanks! :wink:

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You could always try the bass trombone's T(r)igger ;)

11. DublinBass

I can't believe a moderator is so off topic. I'm beginning to think Eeyore out of your mind Peter!

:p

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Jagrins Music Publication
    Jagrins
    OBAF
    US
    British
  13. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I figured you had no problem (well, I was pretty sure). I just wanted to post a solution for any and all.

Sibelius in its latest form has changed quite a bit and it took me awhile to figure out some of the nuances.

Jim

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

The Panorama feature, and instrument change features are the only 2 features that I actually use regularly that aren't in Sibelius 4!

15. DublinBass

16. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

What about adding sounds and sound fonts. That was the big change! Oh well, I have found that everyone has a different way of using it.

BBCBass -- you are a gent to keep us all informed.

Jim

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Didn't know anything about that to be honest. One of the good things about the RNCM is that getting performances there is a lot easier than in the big bad world, so there is less of a need for sounds :) We're spoilt really! :)