Jackfield Band Announce New Conductor . . .

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Boneman, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Boneman

Boneman Member

Jackfield Band are delighted to announce that Simon Platford has been appointed to the position of Conductor, with effect from the end of October. Simon is well known both locally and across the Brass Band world in general and has an excellent record of success in all he has done in his banding career.

Simon began his Brass Banding career as a cornet player with the Wrentham Silver band and soon gained a discretionary award to study cornet with the legendary cornet player, Philip McCann. Simon went on to study for a degree at the Birmingham Conservatoire, and to play cornet for some of the countries finest bands, including spells as principal cornet with Jaguar Cars City of Coventry and Desford Colliery Band.

His conducting activities have included spells as MD of Banks Brewery Band, City Of Birmingham Band, Langley Band, Snibston & Desford Band and numerous guest appearances with bands all over the Midlands, including the Jackfield Elcock Reisen Band.

His teaching career saw him appointed as Head of Music and then Head of Performing Arts at Abraham Darby School, Telford. The schools successes were numerous totalling 23 national awards and 4 international awards including a performance at the Isaac Stern auditorium in Carnegie Hall, New York.

Commenting on the appointment, band Chairman, Paul France, said “We are delighted to have appointed someone who is not only well known locally, but across the musical world for the success he has had, particularly that as Head of Performing Arts at Abraham Darby School. The band are very much looking forward to working in partnership with Simon”

Commenting on his appointment Simon said “I am delighted that the Jackfield Band have asked me to take up the reins. I am hopeful that the partnership between myself and the band can develop into a very long lasting and rewarding one”.

Simon’s first outing with the Band will be at the annual Brass & Voices Concert at Bridgnorth Leisure Centre on 8th November.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band
    Brass Banding
    Simon Platford
    Jackfield Band
    Philip McCann