Jackets on Stage

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Aug 30, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Right people I need your opinions! When on stage at a contest or concert, should you wear you jacket button done up or not?? I can understand that the button will rub on a euphonium, but sure it looks untidy with your belly hanging out all over the place??

I ask this cos we were debating it at band tonight :tongue:
  2. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Contests - definately no buttons!! They can "chink" just at that special moment in the slow movements :mad:

Concerts - depends. If you have a few more portly members :tongue: , best to all have them open in my opinion, but if they all fit ;) , fasten them!
  3. meandmycornet

are jackets are brand new!!! i should blimmin hope they do fit!! but surely we don't want everybodys big bellys hanging out on a contest stage! the audicence don't wanna see that!
  4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

If the contest has deportment, fair enough, jackets fastened. But like I said before, its always a really quiet part of a piece when some idiot catches their instrument on the buttons, the sound then resonates around the hall & really distracts from the hopefully fantastic playing. If the jackets do fit, the huge bellies shouldn't really stick out too much anyway & they should be reasonably camouflaged
  5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

If buttonned is OK, fasten up. If not, play well.

Do you go to concerts to see a pretty band, or hear a good one? ;)
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

'Jackets on stage'

Given the style of most brass band jackets, that's exactly where they should be left. And trodden on.

7. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I agree that jackets should be done up, but my portly frame looks awful in an undersize jacket (because there are none that would fit me), and in this case they should be left open (I cannot do mine up anyway).

But blame the person who maybe ordered "made to measure" jackets for a young, slim band, and did not realise that "off the peg" would perhaps benefit other larger framed players who joined the band at a later date!

PS anyone got any 44 inch chest red concert jackets?
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'd put the bittons up...or why else would there be buttons?
  9. brass journo

brass journo Member

doesn't etiquette suggest that buttons should be done up when standing but unfastened when seated?
  10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I've taken the buttons off of my jacket! Not having my instrument scratched by the damn things.
  11. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Absolutely correct.

I cannot think of anything more uncomfortable than sitting with a jacket done up let alone trying to play an instrument with it done up. I also think it looks horrid. Sitting with a jacket undone looks far better.

Having said that................I'm a percussionist so what do I know ;)

Even playing percussion I never ever play with my jacket done up whether I'm standing or sitting - indeed I would prefer not to have to wear a jacket at all, but that's not always possible.
  12. meandmycornet

The contest we're going too this weekend is an entertainments contest and therefore what we look like on stage is important, cos there's points for that too! I think it is important what the band looks like, and I think it looks scruffy too have your jacket undone, and Pat your so right! Why are there buttons on the jacket if there not too be used??

And isn't that etiquette for jackets thing for like a dinner jacket?? when your going too a meal? (which is therefore understandable!!) not when your on stage!
  13. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

With my bands old uniforms which wer jacket things buttons done up. But with the new blazery type ones I leave them undone, partly due to the fact that I forget to do them up in the first place...
  14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

If a band is ever marked down for having buttons done up or not, this is a reflection on the ridiculous petty nature of adjudicators.

In many cases it is not practical to do the buttons up (such as if you are wearing a slightly too small jacket, as already mentioned). I have seen a number of percussion players do without jackets altogether in order to make their lives easier.

I tend to leave buttons undone, just to make life eaiser (breathing etc), but if someone is fussy enough that they are insisting that all buttons are done up, well, that's their choice.

If anybody goes to a concert and is worrying about the 7th cornet having a button undone - that is more a reflection upon the band than it is upon that player - the music is what should matter.

If you are worried about scratching your instrument (very understandable for low brass players especially), why use metallic buttons? Dinner jackets tend to solve this problem by using material coveredbuttons - no scratching issues. The problem in the brass band world (well, one of the many) is the traditional shiny button, hideous jacket look. Practicality is never an issue, so long as the band looks just like every other band.

If looks are as important as you say, just make sure that the whole band do the same - if one person is worried about the jacket buttons scratching, restricting their movement, or being too tight - just dont use the buttons. All walk on with your buttons done up, undo them before sitting down - easy, problem solved - now impress the adjudicators with what actually matters - the music.
  15. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

For the purposes of an entertainments contest, I'm not sure how much difference open or done up jackets actually make to the deportment score, but would say, all or nothing, for walking on. Even with made to measures there are always problems, so ensure that everyone tries them on first. (I assume that his has already been done anyway). From a personal point of view, I prefer to have my Jacket undone.

It certainly would look smarter if you all walked on with the jackets done up, and then you could allow a small concession to the basses, to undo, as they won't be seen at the back, and then do them up a gain at the end of the performance just before they stand up with the rest of the band. This will work as long as they keep there basses on their laps, and not put them down after every piece.

Having never won a deportment prize or gained full marks, all the above should be ignored, and not used by anyone.
  16. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Unfortunately, concentrating on the music, won't win you the contest, as it is usually made up of three sets of marks: deportment, entertainment value and musical content. You could get full marks for the music, and nothing for deportment and entertainment value and come last. The whole point of the contest is to entertain, and not just put on a concert.
  17. flower girl

flower girl Member

Not done up. I absolutely hate wearing my jacket done up.
  18. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I think jackets look best when they're buttoned up, provided that they fit. But saying that, we've only had our new jackets a month or so and I've already got tons of scratches on my instrument :mad: . On a march I prefer having my buttons done up as my tie has an annoying habit of blowing in my face, but we also have 4 inside pockets and it is near impossible to balance a euphonium, music,(i dont have a lyre box) and undo the buttons to take out hymn books etc that are in the pockets! To put it simply, sure, jackets look good buttoned up but they're not exactly practical.
  19. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

I agree that it is all about personal preferance. I always play on stage with my buttons done up becuase it looks a lot smarter and it isnt uncomfy for me to play with them done up
    I know people that dont likke doing them up, and i understand this when your playing a larger instrument. i mean i only play sop so wot would i know!

However if your doing an entertainment contest then make sure they are all done up or all undone. Make a constant descision that involves the whole band.
    There is nothing worse that seeing most of the band with their buttons done up and then a few with them undone and shirt sticking out.

Test piece contests wher the adjudicator is in the box, it really doesnt matter. It is about being relaxed and just do what ever feels most comfortable, after all they cant see you!
  20. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I never have my buttons done...my gut won't let me!

Personally I'm not a huge fan of band uniforms anyway, I find them quite restricting (especially ties and bow ties) and not very comfortable especially when your under pressure. Personally I think coloured open collar shirts are the way forward!