Jackets On or Jackets Off?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pagliacci, Jul 31, 2009.

1. pagliacci

pagliacci Member

For the outdoor jobs when the sun is out (wishful thinking given recent weather perhaps), does your band keep jackets on, or go into shirtsleeve order? What section are you (I'm interested if there are different deportment standards across the sections)?

Unless it's blisteringly hot, my personal opinion is that it's seldom really necessary to take jackets off and I think a band looks infinitely better with jackets on.

I'll save the trousers on/off debate for another thread.​
  2. debsjg

debsjg New Member

I have to say jackets every time, you take jackets off you have short sleeve shirts, long sleeve, long sleeve rolled up, very scruffy.:-?
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Last weekend I played with two bands.

On Saturday, we had lovely sunshine and the band played jackets off.
    Sunday, it was p*****g it down and we played jackets on under a gazebo.

I've played Jackets off for other bands as well mind.
  4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

If it's a hot day then common sense will prevail and we take jackets off (usually after a couple of numbers).
  5. Hells Bones

Unless someone gets ice cream all over their shirt... :biggrin: :rolleyes:
  6. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

it did have its benefits...
  7. Hells Bones

What? Four women putting their hands on you? :clap:
  8. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

We've played a few numbers then come to a mutual agreement 'bout the jackets, generally sensibly taking jackets off to avoid succumbing to the heat. :cool: More of an issue wi' folks having creased jackets as opposed to minging creased shirts, short-sleeved or otherwise. :eek:
  9. blue juice

blue juice Member

Always start with jackets on but if its too hot then take them off after the first couple of pieces in my opinion
  10. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I get the band to start with 'em on...then ask the audience if they mind if they take them off (just jackets!!) ... they always say yes...thankfully.

11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Of course, if you know that taking the jackets off is a possibility, it's a simple thing to have everyone wear similar shirts underneath.

When the National Capital Band was on tour in Europe a couple of summers ago, we started each concert with jackets on and with "summer uniform" (short-sleeve white shirts with band-issued shoulder loops) underneath. Most of the concerts we played the first half with jackets on, then the second half with them off. Some of the outdoor events were done with jackets off the whole time.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Robert, but then perhaps its's rather easier for us in SA bands as we have a standard "shirt-sleeve order". Another thing to be aware of is that you may have players relying on braces to hold their trousers up, which can cause difficlties if tunics are removed without prior warning.

On the whole, I would rather a band play without tunics on a hot day, and be more comfortable and able to concentrate fully on making music, rather than struggle on a stifling hot day. On of my abiding memories of my time with Coventry Festival Band is of playing the Coventry carnival in shirt sleeves in blazing sunshine, and then seeing the Life Guards Band - who only joined in for the middle section :mad: - sweltering in tunics and riding boots ;)
  13. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I have recently been involved in a discussion in committee re the pros/cons of band jackets.

My opinion:

If you want to play at your best on stage you should try to create the same conditions in rehearsal as you will experience on stage.

option 1: in rehearsal wear loose fitting clothing and when on stage wear open neck shirt and no jacket.

option 2: wear full band uniform including a shirt 2 sizes too small, trousers that are about to explode and a jacket weighing approx. 100kg to all rehearsals
  14. Hells Bones

I think I would die if option 2 was taken. And yes, you're right about the **** and the trousers!
  15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

If the sun is out it's jackets off - no question about it
  16. Hells Bones

What a typo! It was supposed to say Shirt and Trousers! HAHAHAHA!
  17. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I personally begrudge wearing my band jacket when we're playing at some sweatpit of a venue (like most contest venues). Luckily my band changed to open necked shirts a while back at contests and feel better for it. Bearing in mind many contests don't do deportment I don't see the problem. As for concerts I agree jackets look smarter but what looks worse, a band in shirts or a band fit to collapse from the heat?

Mind you I have been known to use "soloistic license" and throw my jacket into the audience mid solo as an excuse to get rid of it in a boiling hot hall.....;)

18. still learnin

still learnin Member

Although there are less bands in the south of England we regularly get a bright thing in the sky called the sun, this causes a phenomenon known as higher temperatures, seldom experienced in the north. As a consequence it makes sense for us to remove jackets as the temperature rises. We also use a product, not often found in northern towns, called sun screen, this is required to stop the band members getting burned or overly tanned in the southern summer! I suppose different pratices should be applied in different regions according to prevailing climatic conditions.
  19. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Bit off topic but what do you all do about wearing head gear if the sun is out? A rare thing this year I know
  20. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I burn very easily, and brought my sun hat (which isn't in band colours) to an outdoor gig in the sun earlier in the year. Luckily we were under the shade of a very large tree so I didn't have to make the call whether to wear it or not. I keep meaning to get one in band colours, although we have 2 uniforms, one standard purple jackets, and one black shirts with royal blue waistcoats, so I'd need 2 different hats (or a black one or something).

I would have worn it though. Sunburn/skin cancer vs band deportment is a no-brainer for me!