I've lost 20 pounds!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Di, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Di

Di Active Member

And I only wish I meant 20lbs and not £20.

I went to a well known supermarket last night, bought a few items and asked for cash back, rushed out of the shop to son waiting in the cold in the car and drove home. Before I'd even got my coat off, I was asked to go out to buy something which we hadn't got. In the local shop, I got my purse out to pay and I had no money. :( I called the supermarket when I got home and they assured me that once the till had been checked in the morning and the discrepancy found, as it usually is in these cases, I'd be able to get my money back. They called just a few minutes ago to say, "the till balanced perfectly and there is no money in there that there shouldn't be". :mad:

I did point out that the money had to be somewhere, because it certainly wasn't with me. She said she'd get the cash manager to check again tomorrow and will call if there's any different news, but I won't be waiting for a call, I shall call in myself.

How can I go about proving I didn't get the money and that if their tills still have the correct amount, another mistake hasn't been made at some other point during the day? :(
  2. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

It's nice that you're so trusting, but I can think of a more obvious reason why the £20 that you were supposed to have been given by the checkout attendant is not now in the till.

Might be worth asking them to check their CCTVs to see if you took the money or not.

Do they normally have a protocol where you "initial" for the cashback on your\their copy of the receipt? Was the usual procedure followed??? (and importantly have you checked that you were indeed charged for the cashback amount?)

I think you'll probably have to just write it off to 'experience'.
  3. Di

Di Active Member

My daughter knows the person who served me and said that what you might be thinking is highly unlikely.

We were discussing this last night. I've never been asked to sign for my money there, although I always have to in our village store albeit, they ask you to sign the receipt whilst they get the cash out, so you sign and THEN they give you the money. That's probably even worse because you can sign the receipt, hand it over, they shut it in the till and forget your money and they've got a signed slip saying you have had it! (Though that's never happened, just a hyperthetical situation). :-?

Yup. Definitely.

I am trusting and I don't suspect foul play, but a simple mistake, or mistakes.
  4. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Oh noes! I hope you get the money. Maybe it fell on the floor or something, hopefully they will have a good look at the security cameras and find out what happened. :(
  5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

yeh ... its easily done :(

I remember a certain Eb bass player *cough Essex Elvis cough* who managed to leave his cashcard and cashback in Tescos - which resulted in a quick sprint back across central London to retrieve them!
  6. Di

Di Active Member

No, on thinking back through it last night, I remember him giving me the receipts and no money.

There was some distraction at the checkout at the time, a young lady packing the shopping and at the other end of the conveyor belt, the "chicken" ladies were pricing up the leftover hot food.

I still only suspect a simple error but the problem I'm faced with if the till matches, is proving that I haven't had the cash and lost it myself.
  7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Best thing to do, is just put it behind you. Worst things happen
  8. Di

Di Active Member

Hmm, yes, we've both left our cards behind on more than one occasion! Fortunately either at the local co-op or one in the next village. Usually a quick call (most often the next day when we've gone to pay for something and found no card in the wallet) confirms they've kept the card in their safe waiting for someone to call rather than send it straight back to the bank. :rolleyes:
  9. Di

Di Active Member

Well yes, you're right, worse things do happen. But I won't give up too easily.;) I'll call tomorrow and ask that they double check the adding up of the till contents, there could have been a mistake there. Or, as Vicki has pointed out, a mistake could have been made in that a cashier may have given out two twenties instead of two tens at some point during the day.

We'll see.
  10. Di B

Di B Member

Be thankful its only 20 pound. An ex boss of mine was on his bluetooth while at a cashpoint, withdrew 100 pound then took his card and walked off leaving the money! Duh! At least he could afford it but its taught me to always double check change and withdrawal of any monies.
  11. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

I would get them to check the CCTV, you will have a time from your receipt and you know which till it was so it would be a really easy job. Most major supermarkets have excellent CCTV these days that can read the serial number on your £20 let alone see what happened to it!
  12. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I've gone to a cashpoint before (a 'link' one - not my actual bank) and withdrawn £20. What actually came out of the ATM was £10 consisting of two fivers!! I went straight into the bank to complain (the one with the ATM outside, not my actual bank)...and they told me that there 'are no fivers in the machines!'.....

I ended up having to write to some central 'link' administrator to get my £10 back...only a tenner, but I was really ticked off lol!

Seemed to me that the person who'd loaded the money in the machine had nicked a tenner and subsituted two fivers.....
  13. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Hmmm.... perhaps not the most successful thief in the world then ? Almost as stupid as the 2 kids caught this week after police followed their footprints in the snow for an hour from a burgled house right back to their home !!
  14. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

pmsl....I just realised I wrote it wrong....lol!

I meant they'd nicked 2 tenners and substituted two fivers....doh!

(I need sleep)
  15. Bungle

Bungle Member

I've done this with cash back at the till. I went back and pointed out I didn't get the money, they said they would check the till and to come back tomorrow. I did and they found the till was £20 over, so got my money back. So all is not lost.
  16. Di

Di Active Member

Still all quite odd, but with a happy outcome.

I called back again at lunch time today, and Customer Services said the till still balanced (well, was only £2 up), which 99.99% of the time means the customer has had the money. She asked me again for my transaction number, which I gave to her, number started 0238. She said all transactions they'd had for that day started 0233 and they couldn't find my transaction. I said I'd checked my statement and the money had been taken from my account. I was asked to go in with my receipt so they could look at it. I was thinking that if somehow the transaction slip hadn't been put in the till, fallen out the back of the till, whatever, this could make up for the fact that there was no extra £20. Anyway, I went in, she said they'd found the transaction, and again the till didn't have an extra £20, but as a gesture of good will the Manager had asked her to let me have my £20. :)

I did ask on the phone about security cameras, if there was something which would be able to show I'd not been given the cash, but she said she didn't know exactly where the cameras were pointed. I would have thought they should have been on that till and the one next to it as it was the hand basket till which are classed as the "security" tills, as they're nearest to the booze, less than 10 items, and nearest the door.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, had my £20 and spent it all again already. :rolleyes:
  17. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I'm glad to here it!!!
  18. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Indeed, all's well that ends well! :bounce