I've been BANNED!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by StellaJohnson, Jul 19, 2008.

1. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I got caught yesterday going on 4barsrest and themouthpiece at work yesterday, something to do with the internet traffic being clogged up by staff going on unrelated sites.

Boooo!

Make matters worse, they named and shamed the websites through email which I thought was quite funny. Wigan Warriors, big brother, skysports, Manunited got mentioned. Could be anyone. However, 4barsrest and tmp didn't take alot of working out!! And now they have banned the sites.

You can smile now:biggrin:

Stellaxxx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wigan Warriors
    Stellaxxx
    Manunited
    staff
    barsrest
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

Poor you! Ill be stuck if they do that to me, then i'll have absolutely nothing to do!

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

My work has a blocker on a site that uses any forum-type software - booooooooooo. I can get on 4bars and TES, but not tMP or the allotment forum I go on. Not fair!

5. agentorange

agentorange Member

Got back to work yesterday after two weeks off to find that they'd removed ALL internet access. Gonna have to find another way of passing time on nightshifts now.

6. phildriscoll

phildriscoll Moderator Staff Member

Work around the blocking

You may be able to get around the blocking using an https proxy. Lots of them are listed here.
    https://proxy.org/
    By using https, all the traffic is encrypted so, in theory, only your web browser and the proxy get to know what you're looking at, and your company's defences won't know about it - unless they block proxy sites as well!

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Although one should add that usually attempting to circumvent a Company's firewall or visit sites that are blacklisted can result in a breach of their code of conduct and may result in dismissal ;)

8. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Not only that but if you are found to be spending a good deal of time browsing non - work related websites etc. then it can be regarded as theft of time. I work as a internal fraud investigator in a government department and in its most serious cases if the amount of time "stolen" has a large monetary value then we'd look at possible prosecution under the Theft Act.

You might think thats a bit Draconian but one member of staff was found to be spending 30 plus hours per week on the internet. Over a period of time that mounts up to a lot of unproductive time so you can understand why companies get uppity about internet abuse.

9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Now that's something I wouldn't have thought about.

10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

At my place they assume that we all use windows workstations so their filter and proxy software only works on windows. Being a senior unix systems admin its no problem to bypass such software by installing Ubuntu on a workstation or connecting via one of our unix servers.

11. StellaJohnson

well, I've just had my first day back at work without the mouthpiece and its gone rather well despite being really bored. I'm sure I will soon get used to it!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wigan Warriors
    Stellaxxx
    Manunited
    staff
    barsrest
  13. Jack Stout

Jack Stout Member

Proxy sites

Sorry, but another warning. Some of these site un-blockers secretly install a dirty little bit of spyware that works as a spam router. The first you know is when your ISP closes your company email down as some of these things can use your system to send out 100,000 pieces of spam a day! It will cost your company thousands to sort it out and you will be tracked down and sacked. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Get mobile access on your phone, far safer.:tup

14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I agree with Jack. get yourself one of the new Apple iPhones. Unlimited online contract and 3G speeds and it doesn't even go near the companys network. There's also plenty of alternatives but for ease of use and screen size the iPhone is the best.

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Sound sensible advice Jack Stout.

Don't think for a minute that your IT dept doesn't know what you're up to, you can bet your back teeth they do.

Don't take the risk.

My tMP time through weekdays is now limited to lunch times and breaks (since our IT dept published a report saying that tMP was the third most visited site in our company's total inernet usage!!! :eek:).

16. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I bet number 1 was 4barsrest.com
    and number 2 was htafc.co.uk

Where I used to work they had seperate computers for internet access. All computers that you worked on had limited access and loads of pages blocked. Although for some reason BBC sport website still classed as acceptable. Wierd.

17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well considering we're a manufacturing company who deal with Siemens on a daily basis, our top three used sites were Google, Siemens and tMP...all above all the other supplier sites we regularly use. It was a tad embarrassing :oops:

18. StellaJohnson

Who would have thought tMP was such a popular website in the workplace!!!

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My workplace filtered out tMP just over a couple of years ago. Despite appealing to them that it was a FFF site, they must have visited at a bad moment. :oops:

20. StellaJohnson

Is anyone missing me?? :-(