It's that Schneewalzer time of year!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dark side of the Trombone, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Despite the peculiar weather, I feel very much in the Christmas Spirit thanks to good old Schneewalzer! :icon_biggrin:

Does anyone else find it as catchy a piece as I do? Or another piece that is their unofficial Christmas theme tune? Since rehearsing it last night I've been humming it to myself ever since- I'm getting some very strange looks from my colleagues. Well, stranger than the looks they give me usually, anyway!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Schneewalzer
    icon_biggrin
    Christmas
    Christmas Spirit
    unofficial Christmas theme tune
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Scheewalzer seems to go on forever don't you think? Troika seems to set up the countdown for Xmas for me!

4. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Schneewalzer with a bflat bass to lift up is completely knackering.

Sweet Chiming Christmas Bells for me.

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Schneewaltzer has the same effect as Land of Hope and Glory - it doesn't matter what you play beforehand, the audience will still go home happy!!

We always get the audience swaying/jumping up and down at the right bits, they love it!

6. leisa

leisa Active Member

Jingle Bells does it for me...every flamin time! :mad:

7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Sneewaltzer yay! love it! love it! love it!, really like the red xmas carol book 1 the best!

8. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

omg ... its the 8th December and I HAVEN'T PLAYED XMAS MUSIC YET *deep breath* think i'm getting withdrawal symptoms ... and it's goining to be next week before i'm back from uni to play again! ooh, Sneewaltzer it amazing!! left ... right ... left ... right ... forwards ... back ... standup ... sitdown ... woo got to love it!

9. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I agree - superb arrangement in the Red book - i love the bass scale down to the chorus... Quality! We are doing the other version tonight in our Crimbo concert - although we go straight to the coda - far too long otherwise!

10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Much as I can't stand the season, Gaudette reminds me it's almost here, Schneewalzer tends to drag on a bit although it is true that the punters love it.

I hate Christmas. :mad:

11. schneewaltzer is fun! but im getting bored of them already as the school band and my band play all the same x-mas music and we have [practising since november!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Schneewalzer
    icon_biggrin
    Christmas
    Christmas Spirit
    unofficial Christmas theme tune
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Can't say Schneewaltzer is one of my favourite Christmas tunes really, although it is quite a jolly, slap-my-lederhosen-type-pieces that the audience do seem to enjoy. Troika for me - a very Christmassy piece of music even though it's technically nothing to do with Christmas if you listen to it in the context of Lieutenant Kije!

14. fhnpt

fhnpt Member

Santa claus-traphobia eveytime!

15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I've dropped Schneewaltzer this year, but replaced it with two similar 'slap-my-lederhosen-type-pieces'. Inspired by the Bavarian Stompers performace at Pontins, I have decided to introduce a 'Bavarian' routine. I found two volunteers to dress for the part (guess who!) and written some appropriate music, so fingers crossed we should raise a titter or two come next Saturday night.

;)

16. Di

Di Active Member

There were no women in the stompers were there? :confused::tongue:

17. oddbod

oddbod Member

Unfortunately Andy, you are absolutely right.

Like many bands at this time of year, the one I'm with travels the region to play and (Enjoy?) and earn funds - the biggest claps tonight went to the dreaded Schneewaltzer - and Derek Ashmore's "Jingle Bells" and "A Merry Tijuana"

The attempts I made to choose more sophisticated music received, polite applause.

We've got a set of the Salvation Army's Christmas Music Books (Dark Green) that cost a lot of money - we played three of those tonight - two settings I thought were really special - No 9 "Sweet LIttle Jesus Boy" (Joy Webb) and No 29 "How Far To Bethlehem?" (Steven Bulla)

Merry Thingy

18. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Hmmm. its OK but I'm convinced sandy Smith hates bass players because Im knackered for good after doing the "santa got stuck up the chimney" solo and then that walking bass on Rootin Tootin Santa Clause.

My fave is Stop the Cavalry.

19. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Awwhh I love Schneewaltzer! Lol!! Had such a laugh playing that last year! :biggrin:

But I reeealllyy think.. Derek Ashmores Jingle Bells tops it! It's brilliant! :biggrin::biggrin: Followed closely by Ding Dong! ..Why put that drum bit in the 4th bar?! :eek: I jumped a mile! :eek::redface: Hahaha!

20. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Anybody on here do the "Schneewalzer Mexican Wave"?

What happens is on the 4th bar of the chorus (after "Schnee, Schnee, Schnee") the audience (not the band!) leap to their feet, Mexican wave fashion, and back down again on bar 5! This was, and indeed still is, an integral part of any festive concert in Loanhead when I took over conducting McTaggarts band. We also play a Christmas concert every year in Newtongrange, and they do it now too! I also helped out conducting Peebles band in their Christmas concert the other night and got the crowd to do it. The place went berserk! Try it - you'll love it!!

21. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Does everyone else do the full Bavarian Stompers actions for this? Left, right, forward, back, up and down.

22. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

:p Did this at Uni the other day ..had never done it before , it's ded fun!!! :biggrin: