It's PC gone mad!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Feb 8, 2007.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Heard this on the radio this morning:

"A Welsh primary school has banned Mother's Day activities to avoid upsetting children without mums.
    A national children's charity last night condemned the decision at Johnstown Primary School, near Carmarthen, where children will not be allowed to make Mother's Day cards during lessons.
    The decision was made to avoid upsetting any children who have lost, or no longer live with, their mothers.
    The controversy over Mothering Sunday, which falls on March 18, has been attacked as another victory for political correctness over common sense.
    But teaching unions have said there may well been a sensible reason behind it."

Here we go again.​

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mother's Day
    Welsh
    Carmarthen
    Johnstown Primary School
    Welsh primary school
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

As far as I can remember, both my children's schools have always conveniently missed out Fathers Day in any celebrations. This is really getting ridiculous now.

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Unless the cards have been sent to another bloke.................milkman perhaps? ;)

Sorry - couldn't resist it!

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

It's the card companies fault partly as the day has become 'mother's day' rather than mothering sunday (so they can have father's day, grandparent's day etc.) which is for anybody who 'mothers' ie takes care of someone. I know my father told us to never send him a father's day card as it took away from mothering sunday.

Can see where the school is coming from and certainly the unions response, as schools will probably also get complaints from guardians of pupils in care or bereaved children, but these wont be reported in the press, or if they are it will also be in a way very negative to schools.

If schools are going to do it couldn't teachers explain first what the actual day means then pupils without a mum would possibly feel less awkward.

Another factor is that schools have a lot less time for doing things like making cards. Time spent doing that is time not spent trying to get pupils up to their next government forced target grade and thus landing the teacher in trouble if the pupils dont get their grade. I know this is mainly primary pupils but its like in that sector as well as secondary apparently.

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Following Daniels logic - perhaps all the kids need to be told that they cannot mention when it's their birthday for fear of upseting children who are Jehovas Witness. Valentines cards too because not everybody is loved. And as for Christmas, well, need I say more?

7. TheMusicMan

It is ridiculous. Once again, the minority have the say over what gets done or celebrated, it's a disgrace.

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

As far as I am concerned, anyone who venerates the BVM on Mothering Sunday can send all the cards they like.

9. NeilW

NeilW Member

Maybe the organisers of "the areas" should realise the amount of trouble they cause by their timetabling - we're playing on Mother's Day again this year!:sup

10. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I'm not saying that people should celebrate the religious bit of it (I certainly don't) was pointing out that schools get stuffed either way. If every school in the country did do mother's day cards the headlines would have been 'Orphan forced to write mother's day card'.

11. Di

Di Active Member

I wouldn't like to believe that any child would be "forced" to make a card and write happy mothers day. It's usually the infants/younger children that are involved in these activities and surely, teachers would know about each individuals circumstances. THere would be nothing to stop them from making a card for "someone special" surely?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mother's Day
    Welsh
    Carmarthen
    Johnstown Primary School
    Welsh primary school
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's getting to the point where we need to start from scratch again by taking a step back and looking at ourselves. This kind of weak knee'd cow-towing to the most easily offended has got to stop before it gets completely out of hand.

We need to start with rounding up the pc brigade in to field and shooting the lot of them. They just don't see that a modicum of common sense could be applied to a situation such as this without ruining it for those who could enjoy it.

14. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I agree, also, all this "Politically Correct/Incorrect" nonsense is annoying as well, your not allowed to say bald anymore, and stuff like that? who gives a poop anyway?

15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Sorry Crawford - that's not allowed - for fearing of causing upset to the cows and sheep who live in the field. ;)

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Not to mention people who may once have been in either living in, or serving in a war zone. You might bring on a severe case of post-traumatic stress disorder when the bullets start flying. ;)

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- a noise abatement order would be issued by local authorities to avoid annoying the neigbours! :rolleyes:

18. TheMusicMan

That would never happen.

They may want to help another child with making a card for their Mum, or maybe they would want to make one for their Aunty/Sister/Cousin/Nan etc... or even their legal guardian; but to stop the massively higher proportion of children who do have people to make cards for from not making them in fear that the minority may get offended is tantamount to gross stupidity.

The title of this thread is totally apt.

19. TheMusicMan

Not sure this is correct, but if it were (and for similar PC issues) what I don't understand with things such as this is.. .why?

If it is a fact..., then why are people not allowed to say this? It's not an opinion, nor someone's point of view, if a person is bald - it is a fact, simple as that, full stop.

What on earth is it going to take to make this PC nonsense stop.?

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've told you, the mass shooting, in a field, of the entire pc brigade.

21. timbloke

timbloke Member

Everyone on here agrees it is stupid and pc gone mad, and I can't say I know anyone who would agree with the pc brigade against the common sense brigade.... So who is it? Who do we take to the field....?

22. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and of course it's never usually the minority that do the complaining but some "do-gooder" who has a perception that these people will be upset. However once one of these PCists puts forward some crack-pot notion then the administrators/managers get involved and off course it "does sound like it's a caring idea and we really shouldn't rock the boat so we'll make it the current position".