It's getting really annoying now!..

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Vickitorious, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

My 2nd valve WON'T stop sticking!!!

Grrr!! I've tried using brasso on it, Washing up liquid, scrubbing out the case, and just general keep washing it and drying it and then puttin the tiiiniest bit of valve oil on so it doesn't gunk up! But nothing works! :( It's reaally annoying me now! :( Oooh and the valves have been lapped... and the inside of the cases... ermm do they called it lapped again? But yeh the inside was 'lapped' about 2 yrs ago as well!!

Does anyone have ANY more ideas?? Pleeeeeeeease and thankyou! :)

Vicki xxx

2. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Cornet Change :D :D :D

3. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Take it back to whoever did the work the first time, they must fix it.

4. Di

Di Active Member

Its a horn. ;)

Its been two years since any work was last done on it, and a lot of work it was too, and by a very nice man at Normans. First of all they were lapped, then about 6 months later one valve started playing up really badly. It was in and out every week for about 6 weeks. In the end the nice man bought a new tool for boring the valve casing rather than doing anything else to the valve. This seemed to work perfectly, and the valves have run well for 2 years. Now one in particular is giving it the slow treatment again.

(Vic's busy practicing so Mumsie replied on her behalf) ;)

5. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

I apologise for my pressumptions :oops:

6. Di

Di Active Member

No worries, just didn't want her getting the idea should could have a cornet as well. ;):tongue: Wow, the smilie thing went mad in the attempt at quoting didn't it. :rolleyes: Woops

7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hey Vic, can think of perhaps one thing that you may not have done (thought i'd just ask now if you had), and thats to use a large brush (much like the mouthpiece brush but much larger) to clean out the "holes" of the valves (don't know the correct term!). (or maybe your not just swaying enough in rehearsals!!! :p )

I've had quite a few occurences when my valves stuck, and washed them out completely not realising I needed to clean the "holes," and there can be a lot of gunk in there that gathers. Obviously having cleaned out the valve casing etc thoroughly, this has been ignored/ forgotten, and then upon replacing the valve, over time the gunk will cause the valve to stick again!

Another factor may be side pressure you are putting on the valves due to the angle your playing your horn at- not always the problem but worth consideration! :)

Bit of a long winded answer, but hope you understand what i'm ranting on about!
    Let me know either way- you may have already done this! ;)

8. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Change to euphonium... :D

9. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

awww mumsie let vic have a new horn! (and a new cornet too, i mean why not??) :tongue:

10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Dear Santa . . . . . .

:rolleyes:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    'T
    bit
    Washing up liquid
    case
    nothing
  12. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Change to being a mad percussionist!

Seriously, all you have to buy are twigs and sticks to hit tubs with. I've done it before, its ddead easy!!! :p

13. Di

Di Active Member

Really??

Damn, I knew I was going wrong somewhere, you should try telling her brother of the 3 drumkits that. :eek::eek:

14. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Have a look at the guides, or the groove in the casing where the guide runs, if theyre rough or the groove is gunked up, the valves will stick or become abit slower.

When was the last time the guides were replaced? Maybe you should try changing them, (and springs), see if its any better, theyre only a few quid and a couple of minutes to replace.

15. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

1) If you buy from Normans...
    The settting up that this company does is frankly a waste of effort. Straight from the box to the customer. They are usually the cheapest place to buy instruments from for a good reason. If they did the after-sales repairs, I would head elsewhere and get it done properly (First Class Brass or Will Spencer - basically the only people in the UK I will trust repairing my instruments).

2) What sort of valve oil are you using?
    This might sound like a silly question, but valve oil can have a huge effect upon how well the valves work. I have tried just about all of them and have come down on the side of Spencer Snake Oil - available from Will's website - www.willspencer.org - this has been very well received by everyone who has used it and is now being used by many top professional brass players, worldwide. Free samples available on request.

3) This might sound a silly question, but do you push your valves straight up and down?
    The vast majority of younger players (of all standards) don't push their valves straight. I didn't, but it wasn't until university that a teacher told me that I would find it easier if I slightly adjusted my hand position. If you have a newer instrument, the valve tolerances are very close, meaning that if you are not pushing them straight you are going to have problems. This is less of a common problem in the older instruments.

Personally, I would visit a top class repair guy (the two mentioned above are the finest in the UK, in my opinion - I haven't found anyone who is up there with them - and I've tried a fair number) and ask their opinion on the valves. These guys might be more expensive than your more local repairers (they might - but they are actually both very reasonable), but at the standard you are wanting to play, you want the best, which they are - trust me.

16. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Well Vic

from the replies you have been given, you are using the wrong technique on the wrong instrument for you, bought from the wrong company.

Have you tried the violin????

17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Maybe it's the spring? the best thing is get it looked at..

18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I had much the same thing with my new Sovereign. Tried all of the above and found out it was me! A slight adjustment of finger placement cured it.

19. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

That happened to me quite a few years back, had to learn to keep the tips of my fingers on the valve caps.

20. flower girl

flower girl Member

mines also sticking really badly, so i've just stopped playing for the time been. its the safer option otherwise its gonna end up been thrown against the wall

21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Good grief man!! :eek: Have you not heard the noise she can make already??? (that's noise without the tenor horn I hasten to add, her horn playing is absolutely beautiful!)...giving her a *cringes* string instrument *cringes again* would be like arming Superman with a knuckle duster!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    'T
    bit
    Washing up liquid
    case
    nothing