It's all rather sad really!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Highams, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Highams

Highams Member

Like most of us I’m sure, I think it would be very sad if the British Bandsman eventually gave way to the power of the Internet and it’s incredible range of easy access of news & views.

I have read the paper since I as about 12, it was posted on the wall of our school bandroom every week. In later years I subscribed, and in those days it was a very good edition.

This February my subscription lapsed. I was toying with the idea of renewing when a free double CD offer came along. So that swung it, though only for 6 months, I want to see if it’s going to improve, not only in the written word but also with those dreadful quality pictures that go into print even in this hi-tech digital world. In addition, it usually arrives on a Saturday when before, it was always there every Thursday morning. My newsagent can get it by Friday!

The CD arrived promptly, very nice indeed and I was assured the British Bandsman would follow suit. It’s now been 2 weeks and nothing has arrived. Not even 2 emails to the office can drum up a reply.

I suppose it will arrive soon, but it really does not matter as I have everything I want on the world wide web.

This is not doing it any favours. It needs everything on it’s side to be able to survive these days. Sadly, I’m fast considering transferring.

2. postie

postie Member

That is quite surprising I have subscribed since beginning of last year without a problem. I have to say though that is pretty poor Customer service.
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

There's been a similar thread on this here:

4. Highams

Highams Member

Yes, thanks, but I think the point needs to be driven home as much as poss.

Perhaps someone will read this who is involved and take up the situation?
  5. postie

postie Member

I agree the Bandsman will be no more with service as poor as that.
  6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Been subscribing for a number of years since winning the Competition they had about 10/12 years ago, but since a change of Editor this year my paper as been a bit hit and miss it used to come each Thursday, but its between Tursday&Friday.:confused:
    Also i have sent 2 emails both the same as the editor said he had not recived to put in for the Bandroom news page over 4 weeks ago they have not gone in so i have sent a Newsletter with a large amount of news to go in HOPEFULLY IT WILL:rolleyes:
  7. postie

postie Member

Thats fuuny I have sent Press Releases to that Bandroom News page and they haven't printed them either. Might use your idea next time Ian.

IYOUNG Member

Although timely, we to have experienced not having band news put in - also we did a big concert last November featruring soloists from B&R literally 500 yards from the BB offices in Beaconsfeild, despite 2 visits by the publicity team no-one at BB was the slightest bit interested in covering the event.

Both 4br and BBW did

9. Highams

Highams Member

I had the same thing with my young guest soloists recital theme. I sent in a full article featuring (in turn) Alex Seedhouse & Ben Tubb together with the payment for each advertisement that would appear in the BB classifieds.

Yet both of these were (very kindly) given full space on various band web pages.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Perhaps if you were to assure them that future concerts would feature a Bible-reading, short sermon, and prayer, that would help ... ??
  11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Puts on tin hat and dives for cover anticipating the storm thats about to break !!!!
  12. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Nice one!! Clearly the venue being a church and 3 SA peices in the programme had no effect
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Nor should it have (speaking as a Salvationist).

I believe that the real problem is that BB does not have adequate resources to produce a quality product. Unfortunately, I don't see any way that this will change in the near future.

TIMBONE Active Member

15. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

As a subscriber to the 'British Bandsman' since the early 1960's I have also found that efficient service has deteriorated since the Salvation Army acquired it.

Non-delivery prompted me to send an email to them, and as there was no response I telephoned a member of the office staff. This still did not correct the problem and so I had to resort to writing to the new editor. Even this approach was unsuccessful as he did not reply.

As a business operation they do not really deserve to succeed, and especially as brass band news and information is more readily available on band sites such as this one.
  16. postie

postie Member

Going back to the original title of the topic this is quite sad really. They certainly need to improve their customer care by 100%, the way their are going they will have no subscribers left.
  17. timjones

timjones Member

Not wanting to nit-pick, but BB isn't owned by the Salvation Army, it is owned by SP&S/WoB, a private company intrisically linked with TSA, nor is it managed by SP&S/WoB. To suggest what is being said is like complaining that when a second hand item breaks, it is the new owners fault!

TIMBONE Active Member

I would like to make a few points if I may. Anything which changes hands goes through a few teething troubles. I actually get British Bandsman for my dad, I have a quick scan, read anything interesting, then pass it on. My dad actually commented the other day that he enjoys it more! (By the way, neither of us are Salvationists).
    It is also very important to bear in mind that those of us discussing this topic are computer friendly and on the internet. Many brass band people are not - which includes active band people, supporters and those who just love us!
    If the SA related company had not taken over BB, then we would have lost our only National weekly journal with up to date information concerning what is happening in the brass band movement!