Itec 08 Usa

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Highams, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Highams

Highams Member

Just to update you all on my plans for performing at ITEC 08 in Cincinnati in June.

I have had to submit a programme (max 14 mins) early, so I have chosen Anthony Wakefield's Prelude & Blues with piano and Tony Osborne's 2 Variations on Londonderry Air for unaccompanied Euphonium. Both written for me and premiered at St. Mary's.

I'll be arriving at CVG on June 22nd. and departing 29th. I don't know what day or time my solo slot will be yet, I'll get back to you on that as soon as I know. I'm just waiting to confirm the hotel where I'll be staying too.

You can keep tabs on things from the web page at;

http://www.iteaonline.org/ITEC2008/index.php

Best wishes, Charley

Anthony Wakefield, Prelude & Blues

The composer and performer first met in the Hanwell Band in West London. Philip Sparke was rehearsing some of Anthony’s scores with the band back in the 1980’s. In 2002 they made contact again and Charley asked that he write a `solo with a difference’ for the Euphonium.
    And so Prelude & Blues was written the following year and premiered by Charley (in the presence of the composer and his wife) at St. Mary’s, Slough with Malcolm Stowell at the piano.
    The wind band version was premiered in the summer of 2003 with the Buckinghamshire Symphonic Wind Ensemble, conducted by Rob Wiffin, Director of Music of the RAF Central Band.

The work opens with a bold, modern style of Prelude, the shorter of the 2 movements, marked Allegro Moderato Triumphale. The Euphonium weaves through contrasting sections and dynamics, before the opening statement returns, this time naturally giving way to the final blues statement and coda.

The12 bar blues idea is to treat the band (or piano accompaniment) as a 1920`s rhythm section, with the euphonium comfortably soloing above. There’s a pause for a cadenza, and the blues returns, eventually soaring through the whole euphonium’s range - top to bottom, ever twisting its intricate and haunting theme, without ever needing to swing at all.

Tony Osborne
    Variations on the Londonderry Air for unaccompanied Euphonium

These variations are from a suite of four entitled 'Danny O'Boy', originally commissioned by US bass soloist, teacher and author, Barry Green to play as a double bass solo for a wedding near to his California home!

Coincidentally, Barry was for many years Principal Bass of the Cincinnati Symphony. He is author of the ever popular books: The Inner Game of Music and The Mastery of Music and teaches extensively in San Francisco.

They were later arranged both for solo flute, and also for traditional Irish Ceilidh band and then these two movements, for the splendid and devoted Euphonium virtuoso, Charley Brighton to perform at St. Mary’s Slough.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium
    ITEC 08
    Cincinnati
    Itec 08 Usa Just
    Prelude & Blues