It is illegal to...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Sep 16, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Trouble with silly laws is that in most cases it just makes me want to go out and do them...:tongue: Or I get to wondering just why anyone would consider it necessary to make such a law in the first place. What happened?!? Plenty more where these came from.

In Devon, Connecticut, it is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.

There is a law on the books of TENNESSEE that says a man must run in front of a vehicle that a woman is driving, and, that the car may not go faster than five miles an hour!

In Marshalltown, Iowa, horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants. (Would hate to meet the horse that was capable of eating a tire hydrant)

In Alabama, boogers (bogies) may not be flicked into the wind.

In Alaska, while it is legal to shoot bears, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited.

In Florida, it is considered an offense to shower naked.

Also in Florida, if an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle. (OK, own up, who tried to do this?)

In Tennessee, more than 8 women may not live in the same house because that would constitute a brothel. (Oh dear...)

In Vermont women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

In Detroit, Michigan it is illegal for a man to scowl at his wife on Sunday. (And the rest of the week?)

In Detroit, Michigan it is illegal to paint sparrows to sell them as parakeets. (I've set up the sparrow trap and the paint as we speak)

In Washington, when two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed. (My brain has just imploded trying to work this one out)
  2. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

have you noticed that they all come from the USA? 'Nuff said!
  3. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Erm... I dread to think how dirty people in Florida are! How exactly *do* they shower...?
  4. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Men must be stupid in Tennessee, or do only women have the vote.
  5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

OK, I'll redress the balance a bit.
    Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.

If someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your commode, you must let them enter.

Interfering with the mail or sleeping with the consort of the Queen is classed as treason, and as such, carries a maximum penalty of death.

Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.

*You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

*You may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close.

It is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.

Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance

*Exclusive to Chester, and as I understand this was recently taken off the statute books. IT IS NO LONGER LEGAL TO SHOOT WELSHMEN IN ANY WAY IN ANY TOWN The same probably goes for Scotsmen. The Badger takes no responsibility for any prosecturions arising as a result of misunderstanding any of these laws.
  6. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Jesus... these get stupider and stupider! Who is paid to think these up?!
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I believe that within the walled city of York, this is applicable to the Scots.
  8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

10. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Not any more, apparently.

A young couple from Edinburgh (I think) who were planning to visit York recently wrote to the mayor for clarification. According to the news report I heard it on, the mayor wrote back assuring them it was ok for them to be in the city after nightfall and that, with the national rise in crime he couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't get shot, he was fairly confident that it wouldnt happen.
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I think quite a few of these are actually fairly obvious laws which are made to sound stupid by making them seem so much more specific - for instance painting a sparrow in this manner in the UK would constitute animal cruelty and selling it as a parakeet would be fraud.

It is therefore obviously illegal in the UK at any time, but sounds like a very stupid law if I point out that
    "it is illegal for tMP members to paint sparrows during a Pontins Brass Band competition in Prestatyn and sell them between 9pm and midnight as parakeets to other tMP members" {ooops.....may have started something here......}

Incidentally, whilst trying to pass sparrows off as parakeets (Budgerigars & other small parrots) would be virtually impossible, they do closely resemble canaries, and in fact Elvis Presley's first manager was (before discovering the King) found guilty of this very offence.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  12. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

:eek: Will remember this the next time i'm there, will keep my socks on:eek:
  13. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

I believe that if a welsh person is within the walls of Chester after 6pm you have the right to shoot him.

You can also be fined 1 shilling if you do not attend church on Sunday unless you are practising archery to defend the realm.
  14. winterman

winterman Member

That's almost an exact match to the law on Scottish people within the walls of York.

(09:36: Doh, should have read a few posts further down before posting.. dagnabit!)
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Good news for the Welsh in Chester

"EX-CORONATION Street star Adam Rickitt says, if elected as a Tory MP, he will seek to abolish an ancient law allowing the people of Chester to kill Welsh visitors at night.
    Adam, from Cuddington, says banter between the English, Welsh and Scots is all good fun but symbolically the ancient by-law - which no longer offers legal protection against prosecution for murder - must go.​
    The former soap and pop star, who has been selected on David Cameron's A list of candidates for winnable seats, has promised to rewrite the history books if he is chosen to fight a seat as a Conservative MP"

Couldn't find any Google links on the naked shower thing in Florida - did find some interesting sites where this illegal practice apparently goes on though.

...and also for Scotsman in York

"Citizens of York are being asked to sign a treaty promising never to shoot Scots with a bow and arrow.Under an ancient by-law, which has never been repealed, York people can ‘legally’ shoot Scotsmen with a bow and arrow within the city walls.
    But a couple from the city are walking 240 miles to Edinburgh to present the Lord Provost with a “peace treaty”.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  16. 1st Position

1st Position Member

In Hull, it is illegal to wheel a cycle across a pedestrian crossing. It must be carried as a package.
  17. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

It is also illegal to ride on footpaths but when was the last time anyone was arrested for doing any of the above.