IsThis World Going Insane

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by IckleSop, May 10, 2006.

1. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Im soooooo annoyed!!!!

I took my little girl to her weekly tots club today and got talking to one of the mums there, i mentioned that i'd just bought a brand new play pen for my little girl and explained what it was like, its got a huge floor space and the bars are quite close together. She looked at me like i'd just pushed her infront of a bus (just for the record i would never do anything like that!)

She then went on to say that she has strong views about play pens, she sed she believes that i child can feel closed in like they are in a prision and that i wouldnt like it if i was behind bars and not got free rane. she also thinks it has mental repercusions on a child.

Im sorry i had to moan but i just think its stupid!!!

can anyone else think of anything they say not to do now that we have been doing for 100s of years?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    IsThis World Going Insane Im
    little girl
    sed
    bus
    bars
  3. timbloke

timbloke Member

This might get a view from our resident dentist, but fluoride in water supplies. I was stopped in the centre of Sheffield by a woman on a stall campaigning against fluoridated water in Sheffield and asked if I knew the horrors of water companies forcing it on us. So I showed here my perfectly healthy teeth and told her that for the first 20 years of my life I grew up on Bedford's fluoridated water (never bottled of britta'd water, always tap water) I pointed out that I ate loads of sweets (hence the figure) and hated brushing my teeth as a child sometimes escaping a propoer brushing for a few days (I now do it twice a day).

What's more is since then and now that I've been in Sheffield for about 8 years I've needed a filling, my first. I'm not saying there is necessarily a connection, but it makes me mad when they make all of these scare-mongering sweeping generalisations.

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Sounds like "The Modern Parents" from Viz. I'm afraid both of ours have been in the play pen, although youngest has been in it less simply because we're running out of room to put it up with all the toys all over the floor. We got a load of "wacky warehouse" type plastic balls from the Early Learning Centre and tipped them in; the kids have a whale of a time.

Seriously, though, don't let it concern you. There's always at least one know-it-all who "doesn't approve of" something the rest of us do, or that our mums did. Me and the breadknife have a bit of a downer on dummies, for instance, but that's our choice and I certainly wouldn't dream of having a pop at someone else for using one, especially if it's the only thing that gets a 1-year-old to sleep!

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Just about everything when it comes to babies! And at the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right for your child, not what anyone tells you. I nearly went spare in the beginning trying to do all the conflicting things people told me I should be doing with Amy. Then I realised I'm the best judge of what's good for because I'm her mother.
    I can't believe how rude that woman was, well I can because I've met plenty like that myself. Me and my mates call them "professional mothers", the ones who are so busy telling other people what to do with their children they often don't notice what vile little brats they have themselves.
    Next time just smile sweetly and ask her if that's her child over in the corner who has just blacked another child's eye with a Fimble. She'll probably tell you her child is merely "expressing itself"...
    Ah. I seem to have got stuck in rant mode. I really really hate people telling me what to do with my daughter...
    Exit Badger stage left, persued by a bear
    xx

6. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hear! Hear!

The world's full of them, good at telling everyone else what to do but never say "no" to their own.

as father of 2 girls 3 1/2 and "nearly 2" I'm stopping now before a full-scale rant sets in!

7. Blower

Blower Member

Grrrrr, ther are no rights and wrongs for parenting, what is good for one is not necessarily good for someone else! Mum's know what is best, and if Sarah is happy in her play pen and safe then good on you. Get some own time and know she's safe!

Never had one myself for my girls but think I might as they get towards their teenage years! aghhh teenage daughters!!!

8. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

PLAYPEN? that's nothing. Both my kids were confined in those harness things hanging from the door frame, a kind of mini bunji jump contraption. They loved it, and still thank me for it :biggrin: Don't worry about it Becky, just smile and be totally uninterested, those kind of people hate that :biggrin:

9. Blower

Blower Member

They're fantastic, hang them up and leave them! They love it!

10. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

ahhhh i know it keeps her safe and entertains for hours even if it does mean i get on with the ironing!!!!

11. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Wow do they still make those? I remember mine from when i was a nipper, it was top!!!! I loved it!

Nowt wrong with a playpen.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    IsThis World Going Insane Im
    little girl
    sed
    bus
    bars
  13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Playpen?? You spoil her! Shut her in the shed with the power tools all plugged in*. Then she can get in touch with her creative side! :D

This is, in fact a joke, before anyone complains. They should definitely NOT be plugged in. They need to master that skill on their own.

14. Bungle

Bungle Member

I think also comes down to a a tired, stressed, unhappy, depressed parent is going to have more impact on a child than most things. Do what keeps you happy!

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Just like BMB said, these people are usually the ones that have the most horrible kid in the place because mummy and daddy won't say no to it for fear of mental scarring.
    Guess I'd better take the stair gate down from the top of the stairs and let annabelle take her chances with the breakneck fall rather than have her look though some bars! Kinda puts paid to the whole baby cot idea too doesn't it?!? She wants to get a grip on reality and realise that children aren't gonna turn in to neurotic washouts or homicidal axe weilding maniacs just cos they were kept in a safe area once in a while! It's living with parents like her that make kids turn out as wrong uns.

A friend of mine is a child minder at a creche and apparently they're not allowed to say "no" to the children in their care because it's negative!! Can you believe that?!?
    So while you're thinking of the phrase to use to gently coax the child away from what he/she is intending to do, or is doing, so as not to cause mental trauma, whatever it is has already happened and the child is potentially dead or maimed, but at least they didn't have a negative thought in their mind, so that's good isn't it?

My children have not suffered from being penned in to keep them safe occassionally, their psychiatrist will tell anyone that! ;)

16. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

:biggrin:

17. Also, you can't say "naughty" anymore. At the day nursery where I work, we used to have a "naughty step" and when they'd done something wrong, that was where they were sat.. but we now have to say "thinking step"... "Go and sit on the thinking step and think about what you have just done, and then come and say sorry once you have calmed down" It's silly.:frown:

18. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Ive a friend who's captain on a supertanker (not the most ecologically sound of occupations but then again my son works in the oil industry too). He was showing some visitors round the ship and got a rollocking off the the company rep accompanying them for commenting on one of the crew lounges that "there wasnt room to swing a cat"

Apparrently a reference to the slave ships, but after being informed that, thought it even more appropriate!

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The "cat" in question is the "cat o' nine tails", a multi-corded whip much used in administering punishments on board ship, and the cause of some merriment in HMS Pinafore:

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  20. timbloke

timbloke Member

Happened to wake up this morning and put the TV on to see Gloria Hunniford and Vanessa Feltz. Not a nice wake up call, but they were discussing those "professional mothers" as BMB so wonderfully put it. VF was saying there is now an increasing amount of "loving neglect" where parents give their kids everything they want and the kids think they can always get their own way and become little brats.

How many of them do you know? I can think of a fair few, and not all just kids.

21. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Yes. :biggrin:

Actually, if you persistently say NO to a child (and nothing else) resentment, anger and frustration can build up inside them until they explode, usually around the age 7yrs onwards! Hence the uncrotrollable teenagers we often see, hear, read about! There is nothing wrong with saying no in a firm but gentle way to a young child, followed with a valid reason why it is not appropriate to take the action they were going to take or have taken and then followed by a positive action they can take. All children want is to be loved and praised. Take away those two elements and you can end up with a seriously angry, mixed up child!

Some parents will be lucky and have children who accept 'No' without any detrimental affect and they will not understand why being negative with a child can have a serious effect on behaviour. Believe me,. I've worked with many parents of young children who can not cope with their child's behaviour. Remove the negativity in the household, put in some positives, and, most of the time, the parents can't believe the difference in their child's behaviour!

Anyway, out of work mode :biggrin: and back to the original post. Providing a child is not distressed every time they are placed in the playpen, then no harm should be done. It gives the parent a few moments to gather themselves together and get on with whatever knowing their child is relatively safe.

22. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ah yes, but there is a world of difference between being allowed to use it when necessary and NEVER being alowed to use the word at all. Surely if the child is about to do something that may harm them or damage something a simple NO! followed up with the reason why is perfect? I can't understand why the word cannot be used under any circumstances. It's a short step from not allowing kids to take part in competative sport because the upset of losing may be too much...oh, no, I believe some schools have taken that ridiculous stance already.

It's crazy, the World is slowly bowing to the PC lobby instead of common sense, and that's the reason we have 8 year old thugs and vandals on the street that tell you their legal rights as soon as you confront them. :mad: