Issues following upgrade: Please post here

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 13, 2005.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Gareth

We have set up the 2006 Errata category this way. Not an error... some forum categories allow one to reply to all posts, some don't. :icon_cheesygrin:

2. TheMusicMan

Hi Dave

A couple of things here...

New Post count: There is a small error in the script here that shows you all the new posts made but should lonly show you a count of th enew posts made that you are allowed to see. Sorry to inform you but... I am sure you are aware there is a Moderator area here on tMP and your new post count is perhaps showing some posts/threads from those areas when it shouldn't be. I have reported this to the developers and am awaiting a fix.

Different New Post results: this is entirely intentional and is meant to not return posts made in the random category. Can you be a little more specific as to what results are being returned at certain points and I can then try to replicate. Thanks.

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hi John,

Thanks for your speedy response.

When I click on New Posts on the home page (User CP panel) I see the following threads listed:

Brass Players on OFI Sunday
    Festive Mood Triggers
    tMP 3 Years Live awards - the winners
    A-Z of the brass band test piece
    Tune Association thread 3
    The person before
    Baritone Duet - Is this a first?
    tMP Special Award - Contribution to banding
    Were you playing carols at ASDA?

When I use the New posts link in the rootbar (between "Calendar" and "Search") I see only:

Brass players on OFI SUnday
    Festive Mood Triggers
    tMP 3 Years Live awards - the winners
    Baritone Duet - Is this a first?
    tMP Special Award - Contribution to banding
    Were you playing carols at ASDA?

Edit: This is slightly different again from "New Post (excluding Random)" link from Quick Links drop down menu, which excludes the OFI thread as it is in Random Chat (exactly as it says on the tin :biggrin:)

I'm not sure your answer about the post count entirely explains what I am seeing, although it does explain some small discrepancies. I'll try to reproduce this tomorrow (when I'm a bit more awake!) and I'll be a bit more specific!

Cheers :tup

DaveR

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just for clarification: when you say "go back to the home page" do you mean you're using the "back" button at the top of your Internet Explorer page? If you are, then you would not expect anything to have changed, as it will just take you to the page as it was when you first viewed it.

5. 3 bent valves

3 bent valves New Member

Hello

I'm having trouble trying to post a new thread in 'Recruitment Corner'. I click on the New Thread Icon and the PC looks like its updating and then it says 'Done' in the bottom left hand corner of the screen but all I get is the new background. There is nothing else on the screen. I've tried to post the thread from home and work and I get the same thing. Help please!

Thanks

Andrea Egginton
    Wire Brass

6. 3 bent valves

3 bent valves New Member

Sorry - I have now read the other posts in this thread and have done the Control F5 thing and it works now! Thanks. Andrea

7. TheMusicMan

Glad you're sorted Andrea.

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Mine is now logging me out more and more frequently and this morning it has come up a browser error umpteen times and after several refreshes i've had to log in again. It's doing my chump in. :icon_evil:

Quote "
    There seems to have been a problem with the database.
    Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.
    We apologise for any inconvenience."

9. TheMusicMan

Hi Crawf... yes that error was an issue on the server that happened this morning. The entire tMP server lost the MySQL system and all databses were offline for a short while. Apologies about this. I contacted the excellent support team in the US and we were back online within a few minutes. Great service eh!

10. 2nd man down

Top notch as always. You're a good man John, and welcome to marry my sister any day of the week.

11. TheMusicMan

Photo please (not that I am fickle)... oh and don't tell Jen eh:icon_wink:

12. 2nd man down

Ooh, no pictures, be glad to be shut of her...you should hear the noise she makes whan she eats a boiled egg! [Blackadder goes Forth] :icon_cheesygrin:

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

@Peter: No, the same behaviour is experienced if you use the Home Button on the root bar too.

I've just reproduced the problem (if it is a problem) this morning. I marked all forums read, which reset the new post counter to 0. After a while, it went up to 1, which wasn't visible, and was presumably one in the mods forum.

When it went up to 2 a couple of minutes later, I followed the link and read the new post. Then I clicked on Home. The new post count was still registering 2 new posts, yet when I click on the link there are no new posts visible (because I have read them all). Admittedly, there could have been another new message on the mods forum in that time, but I have seen this same behaviour when there is a count of over 50 new posts on the home page, which makes me think that this probably isn't the answer.

It isn't a big problem by any means, but I should have thought when a new post is read, the count should be decremented accordingly? If I was programming the software, that's what I would have done anyway :wink:

Edit: I guess that this may not be provable until the problem with posts in the mods forum being counted is resolved. Feel free to ignore this until then if you like - it should easily be testable once that is fixed!

Cheers

DaveR

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  14. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Probably just me being thick, but I can't work out how to create a new thread.

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Click on the title of the Forum where you want your thread to appear: above the list of the existing threads, you'll find the box headed "New thread" - click on there and you're off :icon_biggrin:

16. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

Um. Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I can't QuickReply at all tonight. Occasionally I've had to refresh to reply on advanced as well. :icon_cry:
    xx