ISB to celebrate 120th anniversary

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by WorldofBrass.com, Jan 12, 2010.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I found a link to a video clip on the MSB website showing the bands marching to the Palace. Very impressive. It was nice to hear New Zealand Warriors again.

2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

For those of us who were out of the country and therefore unable to attend what all reports say was an absolutely fabulous event, are there any plans by SP&S to release a CD/DVD of the concert?

3. PFmaestro

PFmaestro New Member

Yes there is...

DVD of Cadogan Hall Concert featuring NYSB and ISB

DVD of Afternoon concerts (i think) and DVD of Brass Spectacular, these last two will be on same disc i believe

Hope someone can confirm this for me though

P.

4. John Brooks

A set of CD's of the individual staff band concerts is already available on WoB. How could they do that so quickly when generally CD production and post production takes so long? Obviously the post production was skipped but what difference will that make?

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

1000 copies were produced, most of which were purchased by those atending, to be collected at the end of the night festival, and the remainder are available via WoB.

DVDs of Cadogan Hall and the two Saturday sessions are due to be on sale at the end of September, a cd of the evening concert at the end of August.

A highlights DVD of the whole celebrations is due in November.

6. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

SP&S have been doing this for decades.

When I worked there in the 80's, they (or rather B&H Sound services at the time) used to produce a cassette tape of stuff going on in the Gaiety during the Bognor Regis Butlins Holiday camp every year which went on sale during the last few days of the holiday camp itself.

We always had stacks of them left at the end of the camp that used to subsequently be on sale at a knock down price at Judd street.

7. John Brooks

I'm aware of that, but I don;t think recordings from the RAH festivals and similar events have been done without post production work. I think Peter's comments put it into perspective; there's more to come!

8. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Hi John.
    As Peter has already hinted, we produced 1000 sets of triple CD artwork (tri-fold digipack) in advance of the day. We then had several banks of CD burning machines in a room at the back of the hall. Disc one was burnt after the third band, disc two was burnt are the sixth band and disc three was burnt after the eighth band. (There was no editing or post-production.) All the discs were then inserted into the artwork and were available for purchase/collection at door 6 of the Royal Albert Hall at the end of the second half (massed bands part) of the concert at around 9.30pm. About 75% of the discs were sold on the day and all but a couple of dozen were collected (these were posted out the following week). The rest have been selling pretty quickly through the World of Brass website and 'once they've gone, they've gone'!

Because these are not factory-pressed discs, they are more prone to damage, dust and finger marks so they should be handled more carefully than factory produced CDs.

We've also got a limited number of Souvenir Brochure/Programmes available and these are selling out pretty fast too.

Attached Files:

9. WorldofBrass.com

As discussed on a previous post, we have a few copies remaining of the triple CD of the live recordings of the 8 individual Staff Bands in Concert at ISB120 on the Saturday afternoon.

Other recordings available in due course are as follows;

DVD 26148 Cadogan LIVE (New York Staff Band and ISB, Friday evening) available end of September
    DVD 26149 Staff Bands in Concert (Saturday afternoon) available end of September
    CD 21664 Brass Spectacular (Saturday evening) available August
    DVD 26150 Brass Spectacular (Saturday evening) available end of September
    DVD 26151 ISB120...The Complete Works (highlights of the whole weekend, including Sunday afternoon march and concert, plus bonus features) available November

10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

CD21664 and DVD26151 eagerly awaited I guess.

11. WorldofBrass.com

Judging by the number of pre-orders we've got, all 4 of the DVDs and the CD are eagerly awaited.
    Remember, the NYSB & ISB concert at Cadogan Hall on the Friday sold out in less than an hour so there were plenty who were disappointed not to have got a ticket, hopefully the DVD will be almost as good as being there.

12. PeterBale

In addition to the UK recordings listed, I gather that a cd is to be issued from the joint concert held by the Amsterdam Staff Band and Canadian Staff Band - should be another one to watch out for ;)

13. John Brooks

14. WorldofBrass.com

There isn't any pre-order information on the websites as yet.
    With release dates of August, September and November we don't want to clog up our New Releases pages for months. Also, there are no pre-order discounts on these products.
    On the other hand, we could put them on the website in the relevant CD and DVD sections and move them to New Releases shortly before release date.

15. Malcolm Koki BM

Malcolm Koki BM New Member

Staff Bands at Royal Albert Hall

I know that Saturday afternoon was not a contest, but how did you rate the eight bands?

16. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Ooohhh Thats a bit Naughty! :wink:

I did hear a rumour that one particular Staff bandsmen pre-event asked a member of another Staff band how they think they would do at the contest!

Judging from the CD (I couldnt attend) I though they were all wonderful.

17. PeterBale

It was certainly interesting hearing each band in its own specially selected programme, and there were considerable differences between them, such as the darker tones of Amsterdam being followed by the brighter sound of the Canadians. All in all it was a very rewarding experience, and I'm sure the cds (available now) and DVDs will be treasured for a long time.

18. Malcolm Koki BM

Malcolm Koki BM New Member

At the Top

Any doubt - ISB?

19. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

so why mention it then if you didn't hear it first hand?

20. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Well said!