ISB Soprano Change?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brasscrest, Nov 22, 2005.

1. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I've heard that Paul Sharman is no longer playing sop with the ISB, and that he may have been replaced by Gary Fountain.

Anyone know anything about this?
  2. skippy

skippy New Member

I heard the same, Gary helped the Dyke out a few times on sop, a fab player, and top top bloke. Think a great move for the ISB and hope there not losing Paul Sharman, im sure he will be on the front row somewhere,
  3. I didn't goto Hamilton , but received the programme. It confirms the changes. Paul Sharman is back on the front row.
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Gary also played in Kettering SA band and was also in the ISB on the solo cornet row for a time. The last I heard he was playing sop with Travelsphere and I had the impression (which may have been wrong) that he wasn't really connected with the SA any more.

Further rumour (even more tenuous) is that Paul Sharman has suffered some sort of injury and is not able to play at all . . . which would be truly unfortunate.
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Posted the previous before I saw your post . . . Thanks for the confirmation. I'm glad that the part about the injury is not true.

Also glad that Paul is still in the band. I talked with him when the ISB was over here on the Jubilee tour and was greatly impressed.
  6. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I never really thought that Paul Sharman came into his own on Sop. I have quite a few recordings when he played sop with the Household Troops, and he sounded amazing, but I never really heard any of that when he was in the ISB. Hopefully he'll do better back on Solo Cornet.
  7. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

Gary Fountain has definitely returned to the ISB and is playing soprano. He is without doubt a very fine soprano player and the many complimentary reports in the brass band press of his contest and concert performances with Travelsphere and many other Championship bands in recent years bear testament to this. Despite this he never severed his Salvationist links and currently plays principal cornet for Kettering band.

Paul Sharman has returned to the solo cornet section and will undoubtedly make the fine contribution that he always has to the band.

Other recent changes include Philip Cobb replacing his elder brother Matt as second man down on the solo cornet bench.
  8. Any idea when Hendon Highlights is?

I fear I'm going to miss it if it's a certain date in March and I really don't want to after some of the line up I had heard mentioned.
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

According to my diary, it's on 4th February 2006.
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

Gary is indeed back with the ISB. Lucky bunch, he's quality through and through and will do a wonderful job for them.

He is also still playing top man with Kettering SA (or was until the ISB call, not 100% sure about present). Travelspheres loss is definitely the ISB's gain, hes irreplaceable IMHO.
  11. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I sat in on the ISB rehearsal on October 19; I believe that was Gary's second week with the band. Despite the fact that he was sight reading for most of the evening, I only heard one slip when he played a "cadenza" on a top C. Awesome, consistent playing all night and a great soprano sound.
  12. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

So is Matt out of the ISB, or has he just moved down?
  13. Oooh I hope it's then I can't be bothered to goto Morecambe that day anyway for Burton Albion :) .

Out of interest ,how do you have that date? The hendon site hasn't had it on and I assumed it would be near enough the same date as this year which was march wasn't it?
  14. Hendon site been updated today!

Next year's Hendon Highlights will be held at London's Cadogen Hall on the 4th March 2006. "

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that - I think the date I had was the provisional one in last year's programme. By all accounts the Cadogan Hall is a good, new venue, and it's a good line-up of guests. Unfortunately the date now clashes with Enfield's visit to Southend :mad:
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  16. :( I hate all these clashes. I wanted to goto Enfield at Coventry ,now this clashes with Hendon in Leicester :sup ,which I think I will goto now I can't goto HH.

If anything is april 15th then I can't do that now as my Little Britain ticket has arrived:p