Isaiah 40

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Dec 13, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Whilst practising this last night, a thought struck me. Few of the phrases in this seem to fall under my fingers. It's like I have to read absolutely every note. There's no short cuts, like where you recognise a scale or arpeggio that you've practised hundreds of times already and so is there "in the toolbox" ready to use. In fact there's hardly any phrases that are purely chromatic, or regular scales. Lots of the phrases use the interval of a fourth extensively. (Or sometimes a downward fourth changes into an upward fifth). I then realised that I've never actually practised any exercises based around fourths. Most of the studies I do are scale-based - so start on the tonic, up a third down a second up a third, and so on. Or up two semitones down a semitone, etc. These crab-wise scales are OK, but I'm going to have to add fourths to the mix too. Maybe Isaiah will seem a bit easier then.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Isaiah 40
    scale
    Few
    hundreds
    Lots
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That's true. I read somewhere about a year ago (I forget where but I'll try to find the article again - it was on the web somewhere!) that stated that modern brass band compositions used melodic 4ths to the extent that it was becoming a bit of a brass band cliche. I'd never thought of it that way before, but thinking through a lot of pieces I had been rehearsing round about that time I realised that there was an element of truth in it. Think of the opening few bars of Dimensions for example! So if all our pieces are based on 4ths, maybe we should all start practicing them more often?

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Not only that, we've had to have 5 4-valve Bb cornets made specially so we can play the bottom F naturals written on the rep/2nd/3rd parts in tune.

Costing us a fortune....

5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Blimey, that's a costly way of going about it, why not just ask one of the horn players to play a bottom C instead?

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

:eek:

Are you suggesting re-writing? :wink:

I'll get my coat.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:clap: ... nice one!

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I said, in tune!!!!!

:)

9. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Oops, yes, do beg my pardon, what a stupid suggestion:wink:

10. Can't you play an F# with the 1st and 3rd slides out, then lip it down a bit?

11. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

When trumpet players are doing Richard Strauss´ Ein Heldenleben (2nd Eb trumpet part), they play it on Bb trumpet... When I played it, I used alternative fingering on the low F and my 3 valve slide (Bach trumpets has an extra) pulled out.. This is possible on a Bach Stradivarius because it has an extra 3 slide... It´s in two parts... Then I used the findering a half tone above... And it works perfect.... Dosen´t there excict cornets with that extra 3 valve slide feature ?????

Maybe if you get an instrumentmaker to re-design your Sovereign cornets with an extention for the 3 valve slide (just as your tuning slide) you can play low F´s with 1-2-3 fingering and the trigger fully extended......

I hope you can read this weird kind of english :)

Kindest JL

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Isaiah 40
    scale
    Few
    hundreds
    Lots
  13. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Is today April 1st!??... :)

14. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

They've taken gullible out of the English dictionary too.....

folks, yes, my original post was a joke!!

If I remember correctly, tempo is far to quick to even consider alternative fingering [ the notes in question appear in semi quaver passages] .

Jacob, I've played Ein Heldenleben (I was on the 1st Bb Part, many years ago with the National Youth Orchestra of Ireland), the other player playing the Eb Trumpet part has plenty of time to find the bottom F as it's set up nicely by a decending arrpeggio played by the 1st Horn ;) and it's a nice fat long note! It's a truly wonderful musical moment!!

15. No they haven't. it's right here on page 376.. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

;)

16. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Just goes to show how much influence Edward Gregson's music has had on brass band composition of the last 25 years...... 4ths everywhere :D

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Can I blame Hindemith for that? :cool:

18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Almost certainly :D

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I hope Prof. Gregson didn't abuse copyright regulations at the time!

20. persins

persins Member

I was going to say that but you beat me to it! I would be very surprised if anyone could actually manage to play the bottom F's in tune and in time. (Without re-writing or a modified or illegal instrument being played?!;) )

I'd be more surprised if someone could honestly say that they noticed the difference at that speed.

Probably a standard comment already typed into the adjudicators comments!! :tongue:

21. BrianT

BrianT Member

Aaaargh! No!

I just pulled out the third slide extension on my Strad trumpet to play a low F natural. I extended the first and third slides as far as they went, and the low F came out OK. Then I drew the first and third slides back in, and the third valve slide extension popped off completely and fell on the floor. And it now has a dent in it. Bother!

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:eek: