ISA Vetting & Barring Scheme

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Oct 5, 2009.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Anyone got to grips with the new Child Protection rules yet?

There is information on the BFBB about this new scheme here however the Children Protection Policy attached in Word and PDF format appears on the face of it to be the same document has first appeared a few years ago.

It says that the changes come in to force on the 12th October 2009 although my recall was that the government were having a re-think on the dates of implementation.

"Please see the Vetting and Safeguarding Policy Unit notification (PDF, 23KB) advising that the requirement for individuals to register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority Scheme has been delayed until July 2010. Please also see the ministerial statement signalling changes to the implementation of the Scheme. We have been advised that, essentially, this announcement moves back the start date when employees must register with the ISA and that as a result, it moves back the 5-year phasing period by about a year. It does not change anything around “what” employers must do, rather it just changes the “when” staff must register with ISA"

Anyone confused yet?

So I have a question - we have a training band with under 18s, and one child is brought to and from the rehearsal in a car with a friend of the family, that friend is not a member of or band or training band - should we be expected to request a CRB check?
  2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

In your 'situation' would it not be the parents of the child that should request the CRB.

If the driver was a band member then yes i would imagine you (the band) would want to request they have a CRB.

although seeing how these things work all logic is usually chucked out the window!!
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

When this last hit the news (anyone noticed how quiet its gone since they had all the party conferences though?) but the examples given related to say a parent of one child picking up other children and taking them along to the club.

In this instance is was said that the club should therefore take out a CRB on that parent - they then got into a tussle as to whether this applied to an occasional event or something more regular - think it was more than twice a month. They then realised that might be inpracticable so were having a rethink on this.

So my thinking is that you work from the frequency of times the driver has access and regardless of whether they are members of the club they would require to have a CRB check - bear in mind that the new law relates to the indivual doing the driving and they can be fined up to £5,000 if they havent had the check.

They were anticipating 11 million additional checks being carried out.
  4. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Please note that CRB checks and ISA (Independant Safeguarding Authority) Checks are two seperate things, it is stated that people transporting others children will require to be ISA registered NOT CRB checked.

I have been trying to get to grips with this for over 12 months now as it applies to my status as a Professional Driving Instructor. We are getting conflicting statements from different government agencies and no-one seems to know what is happening. One government agency is telling me that I need BOTH CRB and ISA checks whilst another is telling me that I do not need to be ISA checked as I am not seeking employment.

If anyone does come up with a definitive answer then please let everyon know.
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

As I understand it from the interview on the Today programme - If the person giving a lift is a "friend of the family" and has made the arrangement DIRECTLY with the parent then there is no problem. It is only if the organisation are fixing the lifts. I'm trying to find the interview online with the quotes but no luck at the moment.

See this third paragraph from the end.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

You can hear the interview here . It confirms Andrew's comments. Private arrangements between parents = no checks required. Club or organisation makes the arragement = checks required.
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

This hit the news again on Monday morning as they have now released the amended details , it will now only effect 9 million adults (and no 16 to 18 year olds either - they were to be checked too originally) I still have logistically concerns about expecting a process that checks 9 million people and the agency has said that "Estimates suggest the number of people facing a ban will double to 40,000 once the scheme is up and running"​

Presummably they know the 40,000 figure based on the same records that are going to be checked in order to tell someone they wont be getting a CRB pass - why not just set up the legislation to deal with these people direct? ​

Or better still write a standard letter to everyone in the country over 18 saying we know of no reason why you should not have any organised contact with children (dont send it to the 40,000 people that wouldnt pass) and then ask organisations to check that people in there group have a letter. Send it out once a year valid for 12months - simples​

Failure to obtain a CRB is subject to a £5,000 fine - not for being in anyway naughty just for not having the dam thing.​

And this from todays news "Sir Roger Singleton, chairman of the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA), said any flaws in the scheme should be blamed on parliament which drew up the controversial laws. Sir Roger was asked to review what level of contact individuals should have before requiring ISA clearance and insisted his organisation was not to blame for flaws in the system. ​
    "The decisions were made by Parliament, so if there is stupidity, that is where it lies," he said."

A resounding succcess of government knee-jerk reaction to every problem