Is this unfair or is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ysl641, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Ysl641

Ysl641 New Member

As someone who is an avid supporter of brass bands (I don't play but my partner does) I tend to check 4barsrest every few days just to keep up to date with any news so I can attempt to know what I'm talking about!

I came across an advert this morning from Geneva Musical Instruments which reads;

Mike Eccles, one of the leading flugel players in UK banding has become the latest high profile endorsee of Geneva.

Best sound

Tim Oldroyd of Geneva told 4BR: "Having heard Mike and his ability to produce what we believe to be the flugel best sound and intonation in the business, we had no option to go with Mike for the job.

I am sure over the next few years Mike will lead the way with his playing - and on a fantastic Geneva flugel too."

Having heard Mike on the few occassions I've been to contests I totally agree that he is a fantastic flugel player, my only issue is that at the National finals last October I'm fairly sure I saw a big display board with another flugel player as an endorsee, so why the vitriolic approach in this press statement about there being no option but to go with Mike. Has the other endorsee (name I can't remember) slipped that much to have a poor sound and intonation or is it just the case that he's not as good? Surely the tone of this press release isn't going to make them feel too good about themselves?

Obviously without knowing any details of instrument company's, who endorses what etc. I may well not be right in commenting on this but, I've been at enough band contests to know how people sometimes talk about other players and their strengths and more often than not weaknesses, but is it fair to do so in a formal press release from a company who sponsors major contests?

Apologies for the rant, just bugged me for some reason.

2. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

"Endorse" = being paid to promote doesn't it ? so maybe this guys is cheaper ? or maybe he is better ?

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

You're reading far too much into the wording of that press release IMO.

4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Welcome to tMP, Ysl641 (I'm a ysl621B man myself ;) )

I think you've hit the nail on the head. You might well not be right in commenting, but, hey, this is a discussion forum, so what the heck!

If you go to the Geneva website, you will see a list of endorsees (perhaps this was your intention all along :rolleyes: brand promotion?). Mike Eccles is just one of a number and his acceptance of the role of 'endorsee' doesn't indicate that the other endorsee whose name you can't remember, or anyone else, has been pushed to one side or dropped.

5. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

I agree!! its the nuance on "no alternative", i read it as, the best sound, the best intonation compliments the best instrument, he is the best ( in their opinion) to do justice to their instrument.

A little like......i beat the kids........or .....i BEAT the kids........ the inflection gives it a totally different meaning.

Happy Banding

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I fail to see how this is any different from any other advertising rhetoric.

7. HornBlast

HornBlast New Member

Anyone who purchases a product just because x-celebrity endorses it, in my opinion, needs their head testing!
    Tiger Woods is surely one of the best golfers in the world but I've yet to switch my razor to a Gillette Fusion!!
    Have you ever tried to purchase a Ryanair seat for £7....it can't be done (or only by those with ninja like keyboard skills)...and it really annoys me. But at least I sent a copy of the ad and a complaint to the ASA (and got a very nice letter back!)

8. Zappa

Zappa Member

I can kind of understand how its got to you but with todays advertsing don't let it get you down!

Agree with you hornblast. I personally rate Wilkinson far more than Gillette!! And unless using a Gillette will make many a young model to start texting me and wanting to caress my smooth peachy skin, then I ain't changing! :cool:

From what I understood though, the wording is very important ...

Obviously this depends on the contract signed but; 'Joe Bloggs endorses x instrument' could just mean he backs it, reckons it's a good horn etc. Where-as 'Joe Bloggs plays x instrument' means he actually plays it (so better not get caught publically playing something else?) :dunno