Is this true?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Is it true that the top bands get to jump the queue at Whit Friday, and don't have to do the road march? Seems very unfair, they should have to queue like evryone else.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  2. Ali

Ali Member

No its not true. It might have happened in the past but for the last 3 or 4 years the contests have become wise to this and have tried really hard to eradicate the problem.Every band that compete in Saddleworth has to do a road march. In Tameside there are a handful that dont have the road march so it means that you can get round Tameside quicker. And all of the contests (in Saddleworth at least) have stopped so called "runners" who go ahead of the band to get them booked in. The bands can only book in if the contest controller can physically see the coach.
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Wasn't the case in my experience
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

Not true as far as I know, certainly back when I played for Marple we didn't get to jump the street bit or the queue, and I've seen Foden's, Dyke and so on marching down at Delph many times.
    Although I have seen some top bands booed for playing a very short extract from a march, then stopping (one did just the 16 bar fanfare bit from 'Army Of The Nile', and rightly got roundly booed for giving a "poor show").
    Most do a swap for the street, front row plays back row and vice versa, if they're worried about their lips!
  5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I remember last year at Delph, a certain well known band rolled up, signed in (the controller could see the coach) and then went off to a quieter village before returning just in time to do their march down at Delph. A high risk strategy indeed but one you can't complain at. If they wanted to spend their Delph queueing time playing elsewhere as opposed to drinking heavily, thats their choice!
  6. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

Unfortunately I have a different experience. One well known band were indeed queue jumped in front of my eyes last year. At a very popular venue. If you ask though, these things are denied.

IYOUNG Member

Whilst I don't condone the queue jumpers (if indeed it does go on) you can see the problem for the organisors and public alike who want to see the very best at their venue.

With the evening now so popular its a real problem. In addition wasn't there a rule that youth bands had to finish by a certain time? Maybe they should do that for the lower section bands too to allow the big names an easier path later on.

Just a thought
  8. Heppy

Heppy Member

I think the lower section thing was brought up as an idea but was never used. It was more to do with the youth bands rather than the lower section ones to be honest. It is a pain but there isnt a lot you can do about it. If you do Saddleworth, your guarenteed to do 9 or 10 at best nowadays whereas Tameside you can do loads. Just got to make sure that the ones that you do are winners!
  9. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Sorry I don't agree with that, the whole magic of Whit Friday is that one minute you get a youth band, then a "big name" band and then a fun band like the Caravan and camping club band. You don't know what to exepct from band to band. There is a sense of excitement when a big band turns up and I think the atmosphere would suffer for it.

If we go down that route then it will end up being structured and it'll be done in sections like a normal contest.
  10. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

I partially agree there is a sense of excitement of whose next and the buzz that is created when the news a big name has arrived. But certainly some kind of compromise is required, maybe i am in the minority? If I recall 2/3 years ago Delph turned away a number of big names (and probably where the queue jumping started) which lead to a sense of anti-climax for the masses waiting.

A compromise is required
  11. postie

postie Member

I agree totally it would completely spoil the excitement of the whole event.
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Not necessarily... it's all part of the marches - 1st come 1st served.
  13. HSB

HSB Member

I know Brighouse booked in at Delph last year and were stuck in the queue. Finding out via the 'grapevine' that there were no bands waiting along the road at Denshaw they went there, booked in, played and returned to Delph in time for their slot there. No problem, as they'd booked in at each contest with their coach and were there at each, still with the coach, when required to play. (An admirable if risky ploy, wish we'd thought of it).

You can understand how some of the bands that had arrived at Delph in the meantime felt, not knowing what had happened, when Brighouse took up their slot ahead of them. That's probably where rumours like this start.

I'm afraid on Whit Friday you pays yer money and takes yer chance, but in all my years I've never known a 'top band' (or Hepworth for that matter, Smed) jump a queue anywhere.

It doesn't help that many of the Tameside contests seem to be in pretty grim backwaters (no offence intended) and will never have the 'magic' of the main Saddleworth villages. I recall that at one Tameside contest last year only 15 bands played all night. Meanwhile, over in Saddleworth, the Delph contest often keeps going until gone midnight to cope with demand.

C'est la vie.
  14. Cornishwomble

I was at Delph last year watching and there were about 75 bands in all I think, it finished about 1 in the morning
  15. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Even though they are allegedly trying to stop it... it does happen... ive personally seen it twice and heard about it happening on dozens of occasions... In the instances ive seen, the bands have told the organisers, either they let them jump the queue or they will not play at the contest...

I also saw last year a so called 'bigger band' arrive at the wrong end of a certain popular Saddleworth village with their coach, (against the rules of the contest) and walk right down the centre of the street to dramatise the fact that they have arrived... Pathetic!!

My opinion is that bands should be allowed to jump the queue and play (without the road march)... However as the band finish their contest piece, the organisers should then announce over the microphone that the band has been disqualified for cheating and should be disregarded by the adjudicator...

This would both publically discredit the band and waste their time... Teaching them a valuable lesson... But also the many spectators watching will still get to see the top class band...
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Two years ago we played a village where the bands before and after us were Dyke, Faireys (I think, I'm a bit hazey on that one) and Grimey!! There isn't another contest day in the country where a band like ours could stand chatting to and then playing before and after bands like that.

Keep it as it is, it's a winning formula i say!! If it ain't broke don't bugger with it.
  17. Cornishwomble

Another thing, if you save all the big bands to the end then people are less likely to come earlier. I think changing things would mean that the overall average attendance earlier in the day would fall
  18. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

Warning to gullible bands.........A couple of years ago at Top Mossley, Fodens turned up and asked one of the bands in front if they would mind allowing them to play before them. As it was towards the end of the evening and this was their last contest, they didn't think this would be a problem until they lined up to play and were told that they had actually swapped places with Fodens and therefore had to wait for several more bands to play before it was their turn.....cue unhappy band.
    So be warned .....tell the named bands where to get of if they ask to jump the queue.
  19. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

I'm not sure I mentioned ''saving the big bands to th end'' I said a compromise so that all bands of every ability should be incorporated in the event as quite rightly you all say this is what makes the special atmosphere.

Maybe an earlier start is required?

The organisers I am sure want the big names to attract the crowds. Certainly the crowds want the big names performing.

So any ideas?
  20. HSB

HSB Member

Our respect is due to the organisers of all the contests. Not only does this involve giving up time to administer the chaos on the night but the year long fundraising, seeking sponsorship and, in some cases, producing terrific programmes.

The fact that there are enormous queues only shows how popular it is, attracting bands not only from all over the UK but overseas as well. All the people involved at the 'sharp end' deserve thanks for helping continue what is possibly the most incredible banding spectacular anywhere in the world. A small number of people give up a lot of their time voluntarily to make Whit Friday what it is.

If there are bands that try and jump the queue that is unfortunate, but I say if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. There are enough moans about contest results, adjudicators, etc. Let's not start on what has to be one of the most enjoyable days of the year for bands and crowds alike.

Keep it as it always has been, an overwhelming success.