Is this right? Surely not!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flugtastic, Oct 16, 2007.

1. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

I have always said that i will help any band out in any section on any seat be it 3rd cornet in a 4th section band or Flugle in a Championship Section band permitting that i have no commitment with my own signed band and it will not affect my own bands rehersals. Surly most bands would appreciate the help at either a concert or a contest??? I know that my band often asks for deps.
    BUT... I used to play for one of 5 local bands, and because of reasons of my own i felt i should move on to another band, as many banders do.
    2 months down the line i find that a certain person from my old band has been round to the other 4 locals bands with their side of the story. Now with me still looking for a localish band, I find this highly unfair. BUT (here is where it gets interesting!) I get offered a place at 2 of the other 4 local bands, both in higher sections than my previous band, but because of educational commitment I found i could not commit fully to either of these bands. I now know from good sources at the other band they are really struggeling for players, so when i get a phone call off one of them asking for my help at a concert i said i would be happy to help but my band had their own commitment on that date.
    A further 2 months down the line, talking to a valued member of the band who asked me for help, They told me i have been "BLACKLISTED" from ever helping this band because they think i have been blacklisted from all bands in my local area, simply because of a member of the band telling "their half of what happened." now SURLY this isn't right?

I took up banding as a hobby, and in any hobby people have their differences but you get on with life and forget about them once they have moved on and dont jepordise there chance with other bands.Ive seen many posts on TMP saying how we need to get younger players in or brass banding will die out ETC but this is enough to put any 1 off banding for life. I even looked into a career in music but since all of this has blown up i have decided to look into another area of study.

A very CROSS cornet player:mad:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Please don't let the small mindedness of a few people put you off trying for a career in music. Believe me the world of proffessional music or musical entertainment is nothing like the Brass Band fraternity. Once you enter the wider world of music you soon find out that not a lot of people outside of the brass band world are much interested in it.
    Yes it's a great place to learn the trade and indeed to enjoy good music making but some people (as you are finding) take it all a bit too far, as you say it is a hobby and younger players do need to be encouraged.

Chin up, this sort of thing has been going on for donkeys years. By the sound of it you are a committed player and the right band will (surely) see that and then you can see the better side of banding.
    But if you get the chance, try and get a taste for a bit of playing out of the brass band world - it could be an eye opener. :tup
  3. dukfuq

dukfuq New Member

It really isn't worth getting upset about. The brass band has a shortage of wonderful committed and helpful players like you. Unfortunatly on the other side the brass band world attracts a number of prats like as its such a clickly institution. Raise above it, and when the situation rises when that band are struggling for players, you know what to do! (LAUGH)
  4. nadband

nadband Member

i agree entirely.i stopped banding after the areas after best part of 15years playing and conducting but crried on in the wider musical world and have actually developed far more musically since.Yes i am back banding but on my terms and i now view it as something i can walk away from if i have enough.Luckily the people i'm with are all in a similiar position and we all just want some fun and good music making. Music is a wonderful profession so if it runs deep enough go for it,the brass band world really is its own bizarre, if fascinating world!
  5. Blagger

Blagger Member

Thats awful.
    Your welcome at our band anytime :)
    All our local bands help each other - particularly at march time when its hard to get a full band out.
    Small minded people like this make me sick - ITS A HOBBY!

Take this as a good example/story - We were short of a 2nd euph for a crappy park job this summer. Who turned up and did it at very short notice? - Brendan ( solo euph at Leyland) he muddled through....... ;-)

Just forget them - they are only a very small minority.
  6. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I live in Denton but don't play for a Tameside band - there are always options. When you find the band you want to stay with, commit to them and carry on being the helpful person you obviously are and I'm sure you'll fall in love with banding again.

Incidently, its good to see a Denton Bandsman willing to help out - I might keep you in mind as I'm the one that finds deps for our band!
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Interesting; I also had quite a long break from banding, having been a band obsessive from 8 till 22. I just got hacked off with the politics and backbiting that seems to infect so many bands at some time or another.

Having said that, I still went to the occasional concert (especially the festival of brass) and contest as an interested neutral, and still bought the odd CD because I enjoyed the music, and when I came back into it the only promise I made myself was that I would steer well clear of the politics - which means that for the moment I won't go near a committee, although I'm happy to help out in other ways. Brass bands have a huge amount to offer musically and socially, you just need a strategy to deal with the occasional numpties.

I've heard of bands doing what the OP mentioned - "blacklisting" people who left the band, or play for a rival. It's almost always part of a small clique's political agenda and only ever lasts as long as that particular clique are in charge. Don't sweat over it; in a few years the same bands will be ringing you to help them out - there simply aren't enough players in our area for any such idiotic "blacklist" to work in the long term.

Don't let this foolishness put you off a career in music - I'm not a professional musician and never wanted to be, but I've lots of admiration for those who make it, and I've known quite a few. It can be tough, and unless you're very good the pay's not great, but in the right environment it offers rewards like almost nothing else.

PS I'm sure you'd be welcome for a blow at Middleton any time!
  8. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

I left a band who were in a lower section than the other band. I have never played for the other band but i have supported them by going to a couple of their concerts. So to me it really didnt make sense!

As for Middleton iv been down a couple of times and Emma (solo Horn) is always triing to get me down for a blow.
  9. Anno Draconis

Bizarre. Seriously, don't let the numpties grind you down.

Well there you are then! Newly crowned 3rd section champions, 2nd section next year and contemplating a trip to Butlins in January - what's stopping you? :D
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Probably that for a start :biggrin:
  11. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Let me get this right, THEY have blacklisted YOU from HELPING THEM?

Er ...... face, nose, cutting off, spite. I'm sure there's a sentence there somewhere.

In your position, I'd be inclined to laugh. Very loudly!
  12. Anno Draconis

Now you come to mention it, maybe I don't want to go either! Help....
  13. brass stick

brass stick Member

as a "victim" of band politics, i was put off banding after commiting 20 years to one.

keep going - the band world is worse off for the loss of a single member from one band, through single mindedness, and bands tend to become less attractive for their politics.
    It IS a hobby,think of this - blacklisting is a narrowminded way of saying you're too good for them! Banding wouldn't survive if it wasn't for the players who help other bands out!
  14. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Yes laugh! I had a similar thing when I left a band which I had been with a long time to go to a championship one. I was still quite happy to help out but found I was not "allowed" to... That band is struggling for players as their politics have turned off many in the past. But who cares! (different region now anyway)
    Its recently happened to one of our players (a very good Bass) who is no longer "allowed" to help a local band because one of their players has transferred to us.
    Its pathetic but sadly human nature can be a little petty. Don`t let small minded people stop you enjoying your life and doing what you feel is right for you. Have you considered a musical career in the forces? Its another alternative to university and the uncertainty of life after that.
  15. paulspud

paulspud Member

Hi Flug,

Forget about the cliques and the short-sightedness of some, and keep on playing!

You found our bandroom once, and helped us out, you know where we are, and you are more than welcome anytime

16. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

im goin to keep on playing because its something that i enjoy doing and have made a lot of friend through. I am a strong person but somthing like this is enough to put less stronger people off. I dont understand why people are black listed when they offer to help out in times of need.
  17. tat

tat Member

Come up to Whitworth we're short on the front row, and we rehearse over the band club, nice and handy for a beer or two afterwards.