is this flugal range unusual ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

hi all

my cousin has what i consider to be a bit of a wierd range on his flugal.

pedal to a above top c !

am i right in thinking this is unusual ?

FG

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    range
    ranges
    flugel
    D
    E
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

i wouldnt have thought so...
    trumpet players can get that high so bound to get it on a flugel as well :wink:

Good on 'im :lol:

4. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Band writing doesn't normally use that kind of range, but it's not unusual to hear of players with a great range like that.
    Good to hear of such a great range :D

5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Not unusual, I'd say either very naturally talented, very hard worker or both!

6. tim

tim Member

I think flugel players only usually go up to top C so i think it is a very good range as long as his chops look alright if hes thinking about doing it at uni (depending of course how old he is) but i think that is a very good range for flugel

7. that's just sick!

8. tim

tim Member

How old is he and looking again and A above top c is pretty fantastic!

9. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I think it's great that he has such a good range... and I'm not jealous, honest... :?

K

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

More and more writers seem ready to explore the upper range of the flugel, and players are developing the techniques to do it. When "Flight" was written only a few years back it was thought of as extremely difficult, but then you see how high Martin Winter goes at the end of "A Child is born" and it puts it all in perspective :!:

11. alks

alks Member

Have you heard Martin winter's flugal playing on his 'winters tale' cd?
    Two pieces at the end :

-Spring can really hand you up the most
    -A child is born

these are both played on flugal and the notes are so high you wouldn't believe it was possible. I think at least super C at times! maybe higher? :shock: .

Alks

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    range
    ranges
    flugel
    D
    E
  13. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

You haven't met Trebor....! 23 (I think) and one of the few people capable of outblasting me and getting even hackier looks from VC in Driff Band rehearsals. VC even split us up to try and stop the insanity (rowing the cornets ashore in Hootenanny etc) - boo hiss!!!

Rach x

14. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Yep, it's a super C at the end of A Child is Born (along with all the crazy lip trills!!!) :D :D

15. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

If you listen to any top flight jazz trumpet player, like Maynard Ferguson or Arturo Sandoval, when they pick up the flugel they dont play much below top C

16. alks

alks Member

Yes but, they play on Very shallow mouthpieces that force you to play that high --however they have practically no tone and difficult to play low.

With a traditioonal mouthpiece getting high is difficult.

Alks

17. bladder

bladder Member

Cobblers!!

Derek Watkins can make a trumpet/flugel sound as big as a house from pedals to screamers! If you're doing it properly it doesn't matter what m/piece you use.

18. alks

alks Member

With respect, that comment is really a load of rubbish.

Why do you think they make different mouthpieces at all? mmm ?
    You pick the mouthpiece that suits what your playing - yes it is possbile to play a huge range on one mouthpiece but you always loose out on tone -always. Derek watkins at the gala concert last year had no tone in the lower register and sounded thin. Even Martin winter makes Bum low notes on a child is born and spring can really hand you up the most.

Alks

19. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

I think some of you are taking a side track from the origional question(see above). Obviously tone will be lost depending on what mouthpiece you use and what register you are playing in, but it's not unusual to play flugel above top C.

20. skweeky

skweeky Member

it depends really....... personally i think yes it is unusual but in some cases you need to play that high and that low - some pieces are written like that..... its the tone quality that matters.

In a brass band its about nice sounds put together with technical ability. Trumpet players however dont seem to mind about how good or bad they sound. Dont get me wrong there are some great sounding trumpeters but more often than not, these high notes that people try to play dont sound very musical.

21. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Yes it is in banding. Jazz flugel is a different ball game all together.

Flugel is the soprano of the horn section. the cornets are there to do the top C+ range i think, although people can play fine at this range on a flugel, it aint really its main purpose in bands :roll:

Carolyn

22. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Don't know about the flugel, but one of LaserBeamBass's party pieces included playing everything from Bb Bass pedals to Soprano cues on the Bb Bass.

In tune.

Scary.