Is there life after Firefox?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jack E, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I know my old computer is lacking RAM, and what BT laughingly refers to as my "broadband" connection is pretty near narrow enough to fit through a cornet mouthpiece, but my Firefox browser now seems to have three speeds - Dead Slow, Hiccups, and CRASH! - and its favourite sub-routine is 'Mozilla Firefox (not responding)'.

As I'm going to treat myself to a factory-refurbished laptop with a considerably better spec, any suggestions as to a better browser would be very welcome (please bear in mind an average 6 year old understands more about the workings of computers than I do!).

Thank you in anticipation,

Jack

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You may find FireFox works better on a new machine. Especially if it is a 64-bit one.

KenIrvin likes this.
  3. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice, Mike - especially with regards to the 64-bit system; I'll bear that point in mind.

With best regards,

Jack

4. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Firefox and Chrome are still the best browsers out there IMHO - Firefox is still my favourite

mikelyons likes this.
  5. integral

integral New Member

At work i am forced to use FF and I have to say its fine but at home I much prefer Chrome

6. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I've now switched over to Chrome (and to G-mail) for everything except monitoring e-mails on my old BT Yahoo mail address.

I found Firefox had less tendency to crash completely with my new 64 bit computer (running Windows 7 Pro), but it still stuck on "Mozilla Firefox not responding" too often to be worth putting up with. So I tried switching to Chrome, and G-mail, and that is a great deal better. It took me a while to get familiar with it - and I'm still gradually learning where to find stuff - but the improvement is well worth the effort.

I don't know why I found Firefox giving me so much trouble, or why, over the last few months, it was getting so rapidly worse - but I reached a point where it seemed a waste of time even trying to work out where my problems were so that I could fix them. I also tried going to the help forum to ask advice, but none of the suggestions that I could understand made any noticeable difference - and many of them were way beyond my capabilities.

So now I'm on Chrome, and staying there!

Jack