Is there life after Firefox?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jack E, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I know my old computer is lacking RAM, and what BT laughingly refers to as my "broadband" connection is pretty near narrow enough to fit through a cornet mouthpiece, but my Firefox browser now seems to have three speeds - Dead Slow, Hiccups, and CRASH! - and its favourite sub-routine is 'Mozilla Firefox (not responding)'.

As I'm going to treat myself to a factory-refurbished laptop with a considerably better spec, any suggestions as to a better browser would be very welcome (please bear in mind an average 6 year old understands more about the workings of computers than I do!).

Thank you in anticipation,

Jack

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You may find FireFox works better on a new machine. Especially if it is a 64-bit one.

KenIrvin likes this.
  3. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice, Mike - especially with regards to the 64-bit system; I'll bear that point in mind.

With best regards,

Jack

4. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Firefox and Chrome are still the best browsers out there IMHO - Firefox is still my favourite

mikelyons likes this.
  5. integral

integral New Member

At work i am forced to use FF and I have to say its fine but at home I much prefer Chrome

6. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I've now switched over to Chrome (and to G-mail) for everything except monitoring e-mails on my old BT Yahoo mail address.

I found Firefox had less tendency to crash completely with my new 64 bit computer (running Windows 7 Pro), but it still stuck on "Mozilla Firefox not responding" too often to be worth putting up with. So I tried switching to Chrome, and G-mail, and that is a great deal better. It took me a while to get familiar with it - and I'm still gradually learning where to find stuff - but the improvement is well worth the effort.

I don't know why I found Firefox giving me so much trouble, or why, over the last few months, it was getting so rapidly worse - but I reached a point where it seemed a waste of time even trying to work out where my problems were so that I could fix them. I also tried going to the help forum to ask advice, but none of the suggestions that I could understand made any noticeable difference - and many of them were way beyond my capabilities.

So now I'm on Chrome, and staying there!

Jack

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice