Is there another hobby with so much bitching?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ballyhorn, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Just wondering because over the last couple of weeks I've heard enough to last a lifetime..

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    couple of weeks
    hobby
    lifetime
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think you will find that any competitive hobby will generate contraversy.

4. Totally agree with you brassneck. Somedays is unbelieveable the amount of politics in band but its just part of being part of a band :)

5. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Controversy is to be expected I agree,but downright bitchiness is a bit pathetic.Of course we all want to win and we all want the best for our bands but cmon we rehearse twice a week cant we just all get on and have a pint?????

6. Di B

Di B Member

I think it is the same in all organised groups to some extent. As a kid I was a member of a dance school that was incredibly political and a mate of mine gave up diving when his club started going down the same route. Any area of life where you have different personalities working together to achieve the same goal is likely to get political and nasty at times... Even work and families!

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You should have heard some pathetic grandparent 2 weeks ago when my daughter was playing her U11's rugby game...!! Quite pathetic it was... he was pacing up and down the sideline - but 5 yards ON the pitch, and when he was approached and asked to step back off the pitch he was abusive and confrontational.

There was one point when our team made a good tackle, but I could see that from where the ref was standing that it looked like a hand-off - and at U11's they are not allowed to hand off - it wasn't a hand off, but the ref played a penalty to the opposition... fair enough, that's what he saw. But, I then heard this grandparent actually say... "send the f^%ker off"!!! I couldn't believe it, he was well out of order.

I approached him at the end of the game and suggested his attitude and manner were not conducive to watching and being involved in U11's rugby, and he told me to F Off!!!

So yes, I'd say there is another hobby with just as much bitching.

PS: Incidentally... I reported him to the WRFU.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it's part of the packaging in my opinion, although it might not be listed with the other ingredients. Some people take questionable value decisions more personally than others and if their responses are made public other individuals or teams might be unfortunately named in the process.

9. Alisop

Alisop Member

I know you're talking about the movement but I have noticed alot of nasty comments on here, particually in the last couple of weeks. However if you think this forum is bad for bitchy, argumentative comments you should go on the teaching forum called the staffroom on the tes website. It is unbelivable I don't post on there because it's too scary!

10. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

I play in a european orchestra called "La Banda Europa".
    Three of the lads in it who play various pipes, whistles etc. are involved in Scottish pipe band contests.

They complain about all the things we do....
    bias / lack of ability of judges
    judges all too old / set in their ways
    women in bands :eek:
    music styles all too old fashioned
    bad contest results

... and they have there own forum like this to do it all on !

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm sure if there was a tiddlywinks forum (... I tried looking for one :frown: ), we would find the same there too!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    couple of weeks
    hobby
    lifetime
  13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I hate comparing Brass Bands to Football as much as anyone else on tMP, but we have to look at the attitudes (for want of a better word) of football supporters towards rival supporters/teams. Comments such as 'that Ref/Adjudicator doesnt know what he is doing and 'we should have won today' are commonplace in all competitive fields. We should be thankful that 'Brass Band Hooliganism' doesnt exist and the worst it gets is 'bitchiness' and 'controversy'. There will always be someone who questions the judgement of those in a position to judge (generally those who do not benefit from the decisions made).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Some very good points made here overall, but the one thing we can all take out of this is that we must question the appointment and quality control process (as I mentioned in another thread) of Adjudictors and what should be their continuous assessment.

Presently - they are not accountable to anyone.

15. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Then again, Rugby isn't as bad but you get in Rugby as well.
    There will be Brass Band Hooliganism (And there is) It's just not as in your face as Football is.

16. Ill tell you what i hate about it and that is all the two faced people in the organisation.Most have hidden agendas,most havent got a grasp of reality and some are the most boring individuals you could ever meet.Wrapped up in their little world of brass bands they feel as though they are superstars but if you remove them from the circle then who are they?I personally like going to contests having people talk to me who i know for a fact have slagged me off and standing there thinking how two faced they are.Its a movement which seems to turn a blind eye to reality and has an attitude of "dont say anything for fear of them leaving the band".Quite pathetic.

17. Dago

Dago Member

Is there another hobby with so much bitching?

I hope not - great isn't it!

18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I have to agree with you about the TES website. It is quite shocking, makes me grateful about the moderation on here!

19. horn1

horn1 Member

I know! It's quite scary on there sometimes!

20. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

What is the web address of this TES website??

21. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

If you think the bitchiness in brass banding is bad, then you obviously haven't spent too much time involved with amateur dramatics...It makes your average band look like a group of Buddhist monks!!!

22. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Add to that list Twirling (a friend competes nationally and says its shocking) Chess, Pony Club, U3A and probably WI too.
    It is going to happen everywhere at some level...