Is The Wessex eeb tuba different from low priced tubas from China ?

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Jools123, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Jools123

Jools123 New Member

Has anyone played the Wessex Tubas and how is it different to something like a coppergate ?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wessex
    China
    Wessex Tubas
    Wessex eeb tuba different
    low priced tubas
  3. Until very recently, the same tuba. Wessex do not have their own but have an "off the shelf."

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Jonathan imposes quality control, as do other importers. If you buy sight unseen direct from China, you may end up with something unplayable and find yourself without an easy way to either get your money back or get the instrument changed.

5. BassoProfundo

BassoProfundo Member

I tried a BBb and an EEb at the Hawth, both were good instruments and very good value for money

6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Our Band purchased a Wessex EEb over a year ago and have been very impressed with it. Extrememly good value.
    You pay extra compared to other Chinese made instruments because you have the Wessex guarantee and service.

7. Give the John Packer range a try. The JP377 Sterling is probably out of your price range but the JP277 is a brilliant buy.

8. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I tried them out at Butlins this year, and our band bought one as a result. I have also played it in a couple of concerts to give it a bit of a run out and was very impressed with it. Very well balanced to hold, sounds great, good valves, blows slightly differently to a Sov in places, but once you're used to it it really is money well spent.

9. JDH

JDH Member

That is just not correct. The Wessex is far from the same tuba!

The Wessex EEb is made to our specifications with around twenty improvements over the standard Chinese product like the Coppergate (everything from new leadpipe to use of better quality components). Plus we have strict quality control - carefully inspecting and play testing every one before sale. This ensures you get a much better tuba than cheaper alternatives. And we back this up with a 3-year warranty.

Wessex are increasingly being recommended by experienced teachers for their pupils as good playing, reliable and affordable instruments.

10. JDH

JDH Member

From the sales talk to my personal thoughts...

I am personally proud of the Wessex EEb tuba. We started 2 1/2 years ago with a surprisingly good playing, but rather roughly made tuba with clanky valves - and now sell something rather special. Quality is much enhanced and although only a third the price of top brands, it plays in the views of some professionals at least as well, if not better.

Birmingham professional Ian Foster is to play a Wessex EEb (by choice) in the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra auditions for which he has been shortlisted.

11. L J

L J Member

Are they going to be available in Canada?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wessex
    China
    Wessex Tubas
    Wessex eeb tuba different
    low priced tubas
  13. JDH

JDH Member

We also sell from Michigan, USA - www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Price is a little less as no UK VAT and lower business costs in the USA