Is someone 'avin a laugh?!?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Steve, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2164

Anyone else read this yet?! Just wondered what everyones thoughts were on an education authority loosing SEVEN BBb BASSES in a cupboard were.

No wonder the movement is struggling for players (especially BBb players) when we have organisation like this to encourage youngsters.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SEVEN BBb BASSES
    BBb
    BBb players
    BBb BASSES
    education authority loosing
  3. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

I don't understand how they can suddenly find them?!?! Surely 7 Bb basses would take up a hell of a lot of space, they're not something you can just step over and not realise they're there!!! Unbelievable.

4. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

And I thought I was stupid!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The guy must have been one heck of a salesman! ;)

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Maybe the emphisis of lessons in On Euphonium / cornet / trumpet , and there were no tubists to use the instruments , or if they were they had better instruments than the Besson internationals ( like the 700 series) .
    I think the RCT were involved in a lottery funded scheme about 3 years ago , I think Craig Roberts ( conductor Parc and Dare ) , and Chris Turner ( Cornet BAYV) got the teaching jobs.
    Shame these instruments are going ( amazing that they haven't even been taken out of the cases)

7. SteveT

SteveT Member

Tuba Theory

I personally think that this cupboard must have been built and designed by Time Lords..... a kind of Tardis Cupboard! Can you imaging if every house had one.... I think I will ring IKEA with the idea!

My wife desperately needs one to keep all her clutter in. Let me see... 7 tubas must be at least equivelant to 8 years of accumulated teacher debris. Candles..... object d'art! etc etc

Ok, so lets look at the economics side of this. Schools get Musical Instrumenst quite cheap, so lets say they cost about £2,800 each. Thats £19,600 worth..... just sitting gathering dust... or not if they are pristine. That would probably have bought 1,300 descant recorders....... yuk!.... or 130 cheap violins. Think about it.. some parents somewhere have been saved alot of pain. So there is a plus side!
    Having said that, I played BBb at 11, so there can't be many sizeist arguements.

Alternatively it could have paid for another teacher for a year!

Ah well...... it's a wonderfully interesting world!

8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Do you know what? After having worked for a music service (who will remain nameless) for 5 years, I am not at all surprised. In the cupboard of the music service, there are probably more than seven unused and fairly good tubas with no-one playing them. A couple of years back, a memorial concert raised enough money to buy some instruments. Guess what they bought? Yep, a Sovereign EEb. To my knowledge, it's been sitting in the cupboard ever since.

To make matters even more daft, I was teaching in a secondary school and had a very promising tuba student in need of a better instrument. When I asked about the 'new' tuba, I was told that that instrument was reserved for people wanting to join the county youth orchestra. As the county youth orchestra already had a tuba player (with his own instrument - rich parents!), this was not possible. I had an almost identical situation with a trumpet student wanting to try the Haydn concerto on an Eb trumpet, but was not allowed to use the county's instrument as it was busy gathering dust.

I totally agree with Steve, and not just because I want him to play for my band! The reason there are so few good low brass players is nothing to do with cost - there are instruments available in most authorities, it's the depressing desire by management and admin staff to take the path of least resistance. A couple of years ago, there was a push to encourage 'rare breed' instruments in schools (Viola, Cello, Double bass, Oboe, Bassoon, French Horn, Euph, Tubas etc.). It is in my honest opinion that nothing has changed and it is no wonder that even the best bands can't find quality BBb bass players. :mad:

Duncan

9. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

How very true, we are such a rare breed!!

10. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

crazy!!!

grrrr doesnt it make you mad to think what that money could have achieved, who could have been playing them basses....what could have been stored in their place!!

crazy!!!

11. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

BBb Found

All I want to know, is how big was the cupboard ???

Are we sure it was not the scholl gymnasium that they have finally found..
    Being one of the special people that play BBb Bass, and knowing the problems we have transporting just 1 of them around, to suddenly stumble across 7 of them..

No wonder we have a lack of young Tuba players in this country

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SEVEN BBb BASSES
    BBb
    BBb players
    BBb BASSES
    education authority loosing
  13. dikkezeug

dikkezeug New Member

Having started Bass at an early age I never had trouble transporting it as I used to carry it round on my back on a vintage 50cc moped but I can imagine that many youngsters and parents are put of by the hassle of transporting it. Shame really as it is a brilliant instrument to play and more youngsters ought to be encouraged to go on Bass.

rather then flogging them they should use them to encourage more players. How many beginners are there on Cornet and the smaller instruments causing md's in trainingbands headaches trying to find them instruments while spare basses are collecting dust?

Wouter

14. midlandbass

midlandbass Member

unbelievable, pity there wasnt 7 players to go with it! yet another story of councils wasting money. Lets hope they find a good home. Never know, few yrs time might be an addition to story like "bass player signs for dyke after being trained on bass found in cupboard"!!!

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Flippin' disgraceful more like. Somebody at RCT music service needs a good slap. No wonder school bands can never find tuba players....

16. craftyhorn

craftyhorn New Member

I think Chris turner works for Gwent Music Support Service now.

17. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I'm a good low brass player........... I just haven't found a band to my/their liking over here, and I'll be jiggered if I have to audition again at my time of life... (29) :oops:

Andy, gathering dust

18. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

There's nothing new there in Rhondda Cynon Taff. When my son was playing trombone for Merthyr Tydfil at the college there were 2 EEb Basses and 1 BBb Bass sat in a cupboard in the college. Out of curiosity I opened the BBb Bass case to find that it still had shrink wrap around it and had never been played!!!:rolleyes:

It seems there is plenty of money to spend on youth bands when you can't get grants for love or money for your own brass band and yes i agree whoever sold them the instruments must have been one hell of a salesman:clap:

19. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary Member

On the opposite note, I was examining 'up north' earlier this year, and was told that the Parents' Assossiation of the music centre had been sitting on £22,000 in their bank account - with no intention of spending it on instruments. No one knew it was there!!!!

Fortunatly, it was discovered and spent!

20. persins

persins Member

You wouldn't have thought it would be too easy to forget about these 7 Basses, would you?

All you tend to hear about in these sort of authorities is that they are struggling for funding, I would have thought that they would be regularly scouring their cupboards for anything they could sell! I find it unbelieveable that they could be left there for 3 years.

Mind you, based on the previous posts in this thread, perhaps it is not so unbelievable.

Why would they buy 7 Basses in the first place?! I could almost understand some of the smaller instruments since there is likely to be more demand for people to be learning on them but basses, surely not?!
    You have to progress through the whole lot before you get to play one of them surely?