Is playing an old Euph a handicap these days?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Sep 27, 2014.

1. _si

_si Member

Simple Question? I play an 86 sov. Am I at a disadvantage compared to players of a similar standard blowing a 'modern' Euph? I'm talking mainly range and tuning here not sound. I'm just wondering if I should be looking to play a prestige, York, neo or sterling? Or whether it doesn't really matter? Discuss!
  2. I'd say it doesn't matter too much really, I'm currently playing on an old Sov at the moment while my York is being fixed and there's not a huge amount of difference. I can play anything range-wise that I can on my York. Similar tuning issues on the Sov to my York (standard euph stuff, sharp F's, F#'s, A's etc etc...), so the advantage with a 'modern' euph is having a tuning slide trigger I suppose, but its by no means essential, just convenient :)
  3. simonium

simonium Member

I would say categorically not! I have owned (in order):

1968 Boosey Imperial (SP)
    1978 Boosey Globe (BSP)
    1991 Besson 967 (lacquer)
    2005 UK Besson 2052 Prestige (BSP)
    2008 German Besson 2052 Prestige (BSP)
    2010 German Besson 2052 Prestige (BSP)
    1985 Besson 967 (BSP)
    1986 Besson 966 (BSP)
    1985 Besson 966 (lacquer)

A friend owns a B&H engraved Globe Sovereign made for Lyndon Baglin in 1974 which I have played a lot, and in terms of sound all of the new instruments I have owned are inferior to the old ones. Tuning slide triggers I have found help on the new ones but I personally don't seem to need as much help with the older instruments - '78 Globe aside which was amusingly out of tune.

I used to sell the damned things which is why I've been through a few but always seem to end up with a mid-eighties banjo. So I have also played on Neos, Maestros, Sterling, Geneva, Meinl and York and they're all good, to a greater or lesser degree.

If it works stick with it! I've not changed for a while now - but it was big change - going from a large bore flute to a medium bore one, and it's something i should've investigated long ago.

The newer hooters also seemed to require a lot of TLC, even when played in - my current euph can stay in the boot of my car for weeks and need nothing doing to it when played - lazy player's dream!!
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  4. markh

markh Member

I would say yes but the DWP disagree with me and are refusing to pay me disability allowance just because my euph is old
  5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Play the horn that works for you....I always prefer an imperial or new standard, as for range and tuning well the likes of Trevor Groom never seemed to have a problem!
  6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

sounds to me like your a couple of chromatics off being a baritone player
  7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I'm not a Euph expert but do have some practical knowledge in general terms on the new versus old question. Depending on what the subject is of course (these comments would certainly not apply to technology items such as a laptop or ipad etc.) often older is better.

In this case the quality of the metal might be better on the older instrument. There may be technical advances on the newer such as the tuning trigger mentioned above. From other comments, it appears that the tuning issues you are probably familiar with have not been resolved on the newer models.

Are you having difficulty playing what you need to play? If no, stop reading! If yes, do you think these difficulties might be resolved with a newer model? Is it possible that getting a newer model might atually lead to greater and / or different issues thereby resolving nothing?

Here's a personal analogy, not without a bit of humour. I recently acquired a new chair for my office. I was feeling uncomfortable with the old one and thought it was probably due for a replacement. New chair arrived and a few weeks later I find I still have the same aches in the same places. The problem is the same butt is sitting in the new chair and it's that 50 years of wear and tear that no new chair can fix :)

Good question and I hope you get some solid opinion to base your decision on.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  8. The old vs new debate has been raging for years in tromboner circles and shows no signs of running out of puff.
    As well as differences in raw materials, there are also differences in the manufacturing process itself.
    Specifically certain components or stages in the making of an instrument being done by hand, as opposed to by machine.
    This then raises questions about relative levels of skill/craftsmanship between the people actually making the instruments then vs now.
    On the flipside, older instruments often are more fragile, cosmetically may not be so good, and may take more looking after than new ones.

I think it all comes down to individual instruments and individual players. Daft to dismiss anything in the quest for what works best. And beware of new & shiny=better syndrome.
    FWIW all of my instruments are pre 1970.
  9. foxyflug

foxyflug Member

And Trevor now plays on a Sterling………..just saying!
  10. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

And still sounds like Trevor Groom!.........