Is Manchester/Salford the dingyest place in the world?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Oct 22, 2004.

?

Is Manc/Salford the dingyest place ever?

1. Yup indeedy

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Nope

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Having only lived here for over a month I can't believe how wet it is! Don't think i've seen the sun once, i mean i'm from northumberland and the weather there isn't even as bad as this!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    place
    world
    Salford
    Manchester
    weather
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Plymouth has more rain than Manchester does

;-)

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well it does have a reputation for rain

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Some parts of manchester and salford are truly beautiful, but you have to get out of the city to see most of them.

One of Manchester's big problems is that there is constant regenreation and re-building going on that makes the air quality amongst the poorest in the country. It seems that, having got rid of the smoke and smog they've decided to fill the vacuum with brick dust.

If you have a car get out into the countryside, which is usually only a few miles away. You'll see a different side of the city then.

The weather won't change much though - not until spring. :)

6. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Think yourself lucky - geographically you are in the 'rain shadow' of North and Mid Wales - the prevailing southwest wind takes the moist air from the atlantic up over the cold mountains and precipitates rain there - meaning that the air is dryer by the time it reaches you.

Try going to somewhere like Blaeunau Ffestiniog - Manchester is like the sahara in comparison.

7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

LOL u should go to skelmersdale! heehee its pure roundabouts, there isnt a single set of traffic lights, and it all looks the same, and it rains lots, and doesnt get much sun... aaaaand has anyone ever been skem beach?

8. mikelyons

:D You've just reminded me of the first time I drove to Skem. I thought I would never get out of the place. It was like Hampton Court Maze without the charm. All the roundabouts look the same, all the signs say the same thing and it doesn't make any difference which exit you take off a roundabout you just end up going round and round in circles.

I must admit that, in the end I gave up and let my partner drive.

9. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

lol the council r tryin to make it easier to find ur way round skem, by puttin things on the roundabouts... have u seen ne of them?

10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'll have to go by your way at some point....

In Salford they have just put up loads of pink signs on roundabouts... think it's to show you're in Salford.... *cough*.... at first it was an April fools joke or something and now it's no joke! :lol:

11. mikelyons

To be honest I avoid skem if I can. I don't need the stress and I haven't given anyone a lift from band since I got two of us lost for a couple of hours and his parents called the police out :shock:

I can well understand thewm doing that but it was very embarrassing none-the-less:oops:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    place
    world
    Salford
    Manchester
    weather
  13. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I hope not!! I've just received an offer from manchester uni for next year! It'd beter brighten up if I go there!!

14. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

manchester is a lovely place, andy dont be so negative!!

Salford is dingy in more ways than one, all those sexy derelict buildings....

I warned you before you moved there that it is always rainy and windy and cold!
    Nonetheless, not as bad as Prestatyn and Rhyl...always rains when am there!

15. jonford

jonford Member

The new pink IN Salford logos are a bit mad! Why pink? doesn't suit Salford!

I like Manchester a lot and since the bombing some of the buildings are a lot nicer and cleaner but Salford as an area does have it's reputation!

16. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

Manchester is a good place to visit whatever the weather. Mind you I remember when I used to be at Uni in Preston - I used to get fed up with the rain there as it never seemed to stop raining.

I used to take my brolly with me whenever I remembered - if I remembered to take my brolly it didn't rain, however, I forgot to bring my brolly - I used to get soaked to the bone!

17. mikelyons

WOW! I'm glad that happens to someone else. I used to think it was just me.:shock:

18. bigcol

bigcol Member

As hailing from Manchester I should now how wet it is. With the irish sea on one side and Pennines on the other, rain is just naturally attracted to South East Lancashire.

Another thing you'll find is that is rarely snows - just a dusting on about 6th February is all you'll get.

Weather is much nicer (if a tad colder) in the North East.

19. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Have you been to Stanley, Andy??????????

20. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Manchester is a great place, yet when it wants to rain .............it will, but is'nt just Manchester that gets the horrible weather. Blame it on the weather guy on Tv.
    As for Salford............. i hate the place!

21. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Dont get me wrong, I loved every minute(nearly!) of being in Salford at Uni. But I dont remember it being sunny at all! I suppose it must have been at some point but I just remember it being grey and grim!! But now I live in Scotland and its always wet! (Only joking! Before I get abuse from the jocks!!!!!)

22. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

you cant say that!!!!! when i was working in manc in july it was roasting!