Is it me?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by englishgill, Oct 10, 2006.

1. englishgill

englishgill Member

Have a new (well new to me) horn to play with which has been languishing in the storeroom of our band shack - since playing it (using my usual mouthpiece) I have noticed a really metallic taste in my mouth which really does not go away. Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? :confused:

I would usually just use warm water to wash out a new instrument but have heard people recommend bicarbonate of soda - does anyone think this will solve the problem... and if so how much to a bathful of water??? If not do you have any other suggestions because I'm not sure I can stand this much longer and I really want to play this instrument as the valves don't stick (even if the 3rd valve slide is jammed solid) !!!!

Any ideas?
  2. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

That'll be the mercury from your fillings LOL! Give it a good soak and a pull through, I dont think you can use 'too much' bicarb as long as you properly rinse the instrument afterwards.
    Also, you should degrease all the valves and casings as your valve oil may be reacting with something in that area.
  3. Di

Di Active Member

There's some tips here and here which may steer you in the right direction. :)
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  4. I posted this here a while ago.....

When I was a lad, (many years ago), I was loaned my first instrument from the school band - a tenor horn.

Well as an 11 year old, I couldn't wait to get it home; play it; wash it; soak it; polish it etc... and then play it again till bedtime. Then have a sleepless night waiting for the morning when I could yet again blow this horn. Yes, I was excited!

Well I did give it a flush through and a half eaten Cornish pastie came out - as solid as stone nearly!

If you are getting a "taste" in your mouth, I would think just a long soak in warm water ( a little soap also) then use "pull throughs" to clean out all the gunk from the tubing, then depending upon what comes out (you never know it could be a gold watch!) maybe repeat .....

"Pull Throughs" can be bought, but all they are is metal curtain wire - with a brush on the end. You could I am sure attach various sizes of cloth.......

Getting the slide free - well, that can range from a leather belt looped through, and attached to the gate post and an amazing TUG!!, or get it freed off professionally - depends how valuable the instrument is I suppose. Sometimes the long soak in warm water will free off the slide (a long hot soak does wonders for me also ;) )

Best of luck.
  5. englishgill

englishgill Member

sincerely hope its not an old cornish pastie down the tubes - more likely to be a mince pie I would have thought!!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ordered a flexible cleaning brush and bought some bicarb - hope its not just the grime and gunk keeping the thing together though or I could be in trouble!!

I'll post an update on the effects of bicarb on laquer etc when I've conducted the experiment over the weekend!!!

Thanks again
  6. Ian Lanceley

Ian Lanceley New Member

Hi Gill - its worth checking the plating on your mouthpiece is not worn. I had a similar experience recently and the plating was wearing away. I ended up with a very sore mouth and loose teeth through what I believe to be poisoning from the brass underneath. The cure was a couple of weeks of not being able to play at all and getting the mouthpiece replated. I couldn't get on with the brand new Wick 4 that I got to replace the worn one
  7. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Gill - if your mouthpiece is gold plated check that the plating hasn't worn through to the metal underneath.

It really can cause big problems to the embouchure if it has.

I had a period at Faireys in the late 90's where that problem crept up on me and I didn't really notice until playing became very difficult - no stamina,no range etc.

The only cure was to completely stop playing for about a month before starting again on a new mouthpiece.

I believe,from what I can gather that it is some form of metal posioning,but I'm no expert.

re-plate your mouthpiece or change to a different type - silver plate or plastic.
  8. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

isit me

hello Gill, have you tried "DYNOROD"";) ;) , i just think you getting your excuses all ready for summer schoolbut,Arn't you supposed to put mouthpiece outside mouth, not inside He he he, catch you soon
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe, just maybe the metallic taste has nothing to do with either mouthpiece or horn? There are ailments that generate these symptoms such as dry mouth. See here or here as examples.