Is David King the messiah of banding?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kjata, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Kjata

Kjata Member

So, after the reports of David King joining Brighouse and the previous high of YBS's unbeaten European victories, is David King really all he is cracked up to be... Discuss!? (20marks ;))

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David King
    YBS
    European
    Brighouse
    reports of David King
  3. Col

Col Member

Yep.............20 out of 20 next question:clap::clap::clap:

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

He certainly seems to bring something extra - heard YBS several times during his tenure: they were never less than very good, but with him at the helm they were something special. Really looking forward to seeing what Brighouse do under him at the Open next week.

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

All together now:

He's not the messiah, He's a very naughty boy.

I'll get me coat :oops:

6. barrytonegirl

barrytonegirl Member

Short answer, no; long answer nnnoooooooo.

7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I have never met or worked with David King, but his reputation as a conductor and band trainer precede him. I would, however, draw from my own personal experience of working with many, many different conductors:

Certain combinations work wonderfully well. Some don't! While the King/YBS partnership proved itself again and again, Mr King conducted a couple of other bands previously. While he did have success with these, results were patchy and the partnerships were shortlived.

Interesting to note some comparisons in the orchestral world. Leonard Slatkin (whom I've played under many times) never really hit it off when he took over the reigns at the BBCSO. There was always something not quite right about their attitude towards each other. However, some orchestras are lucky enough to find the right combination - Mark Elder and the Halle, Esa-Pekka Salonen at the Philharmonia, Simon Rattle at the CBSO (and later at the Berlin Philharmonic) - to name just a few.

Time will tell if B&R are the right band for Mr King - and perhaps if Mr King is right for B&R. It is so often difficult to find that '5th element', but when it works, we all know about it!

8. tromguy3

tromguy3 New Member

Hmmmm...opens a good debate this.....

Good conductor...Great players around the stand....I wonder how these 'great' conductors would get on with players who cant play their parts..and sometimes whole sections who stuggle..or bands who just simply cant do the performance that the guy in the middle wants...I think that there are amazing conductors who dont conduct 'top' bands. I am always looking at the lesser bands and see how they move through the champ section..or progress from 1st to champ then work their way up...those conductors I think i would love to see in front of a top band to see what they do with amazing players in front of them...

Just my thoughts...i suppose its like managing Chelsea, Man U....against being incharge of Grimsby or York.....

9. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Someone told me that he could make a band play 30% better than normal just by walking in the rehersal room

10. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I can tell you that from personal experience, David is a massive inspiration when working with any level of band. He was kind enough to visit myself and the band I was taking at the time (3rd section) on two occasions, and each time the band progressed in leaps and bounds. He never sacrifices what he wants musically, but is wise and perceptive enough to realise the limits and, additionally, the potential of all players in front of him, regardless of section. The best word I have ever heard used to describe him is 'catalyst'.

11. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I was at the 2 rehearsals that Iain refers to, and I agree totally with his post. Those 2 rehearsals were the best I have ever played in, and David King the best conductor I have played under (no disrespect to Iain or anyone else intended).

It also says a lot about him that he was happy to come along and rehearse a 3rd section band (now 2nd section). Remember, David King first made his name as a conductor by taking Swinton from the 4th section to the Championship section and the British Open in something like 5-6 years: an amazing achievement.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David King
    YBS
    European
    Brighouse
    reports of David King
  13. Mephi

Mephi Member

I think his conducting record makes this question a bit of a 'no brainer' - the guy is a musician! If he picked up a cornet again he would easily walk straight into a principal seat at some of our top bands (perhaps not the elite but good'uns). I have experienced a bit of a mixed bag of Dave, my time under him at YBS was 'entertaining' and not always enjoyable, we didn't speak for a while after but when he seemed to 'mellow' he was nothing but a gent with me. I wish him all the best with B&R and it'll be interesting to see him back in the helm next week.

14. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Mr King

I spent the last couple of years at YBS before David left and found him to be an inspirational conductor-obvious that he had players in front of him that he knew very well and knew how to communicate with-laterally he knew what he could ask for and expected nothing less than 100% at every rehearsal and concert. I was lucky enough to perform on the 2006 British Open performance on Vienna Nights which provided great controversy from the listeners but as a player it was one of my highlights. I have no doubt that DK will pull out something very special from this new partnership but whether they will embrace and trust him to make the decisions remains to be seen. I wish him and the band the very best - even if it is not what the adjudicators want to hear (not that I'm that interested) I'm sure we are in for a musical treat which at the end of the day what making music is all about-not contest results! Good luck to all the bands at the British Open - enjoy the experience!

15. critic

critic Member

David King is a fantastic musician full stop.

16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Quite simply, yes he is.

Another poster above questioned the ability of the greats with a lower section band. I've sat under Kingy in both a top section band and a lower section one. He improves the playing level of any band he is front of. He recognises abilities and personalities very quickly and works out the best way to get the best out of each player. That's his skill.

I've also sat under successful lower section conductors that aren't great in front of a top section band.

Whether he gets a win with B & R next weekend remains to be seen, but it will be a performance worth listening to.

17. Blagger

Blagger Member

I agree that he is something special.
    I played under him at Swinton when we had got up to the Championship Section.
    You always had the feeling that he knew all your qualities(and weaknesses) as a player and knew how to bring the best out of each person around the stand.
    His performances with YBS showed this further IMHO - a band who really did play to their full potential and beyond.
    You also knew he was the boss - but thats another story ....;)

18. stopher

stopher Member

Will be very interesting to see where they come under him - its an "odd" year so you never know! He is very talented as a conductor and player, knows what he wants and how to get it. Don't know if he is the Messiah but some people treat him as a God but doubt he'll get crucified on saturday!

SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. nethers

nethers Active Member

The real deal.

Like Phillip McCann, there are players who will liken King to Satan (and some probably have valid reasons) but you can't argue with the results in recent years.

And with his strong personality and occasionally 'eccentric' methods he will always have his critics.

But if I was a betting man my money would be on that horse against just about anyone.

20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Have said it before numerous times , but when I got back into playing again after some years of not having done so , and knowing nothing about what i would have referred to at the time as "Outside" bands it was the recordings of YBS / Prof King that i first started listening to - basically because the "Essays in Brass" series was music I was familiar with.

I was astounded by the freshness and vibrancy of the playing and soon graduated on to "Music of the Spheres" / "Kings of Europe" etc. In many ways , its Prof King and YBS that have turned me into the testpiece geek that I now am because it was their combination and sound that got me into ( obsessively almost ! ) purchasing CD's by all the top bands playing that kind of music.

( Leyfy and members of Ipswich Band will no doubt wish to go and punish those responsible for this !! :) )

Seems to me that this was a very special combination of the right band , at the right time with the right MD , kind of what Basstrumpet alluded to above. I've never met the Prof or any members of YBS at that time , but I suspect that like all musical / sporting / other "greats" each would have had their peculiar eccentricities which made them what they were / are.

I'll be very interested to see how B&R fair with the Prof as I'll always maintain an interest in what he's up to , and I also wish the new team at Hammonds Saltaire all the best too.

Thanks for the great memories !

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  21. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've never played under Mr King, and have only met him once. But of all the people I've spoke to who have played under him, I've heard two main schools of thought.

One goes like this:
    "He's absolutely awesome and amazing - he's a brilliant musician and he's every bit as good as his record suggests."

The other goes like this
    "I don't get on with him/don't like his methods - but he's a brilliant musician and he's every bit as good as his record suggests."

As you can see, there tends to be a common thread! Whether or not folk like him, they seem to have a healthy respect for his abilities.

22. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

He needs a haircut....