Is Banding alive I believe it is I have Proof

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ukdisco.com, Jan 27, 2004.

1. ukdisco.com

ukdisco.com Member

HOLLINGWORTH AND LONGDENDALE BRASS BAND WAS 150 YEARS OLD LAST YEAR BUT 18MONTHS PREVIOUS THEY ONLY HAD FOUR PLAYERS
    WHAT ABOUT THIS THEY BROUHT IN FLAUTIST AS A MD YES OH MY GOD A FLAUTIST
    WELL HE HAS TURNED THE BAND AROUND BEEN INCLUSIVE TO EVRY HE DOESNT BELIEVE IN THE IMAGE OF 25 PLAYERS AND CLOSE THE DOOR MORE PLAYERS MEANS MORE FUN
    THE BAND NOW HAS 25 PLAYERS AND MANY GUESTING ALL HE WANTS IS HELP FROM QUALITY PLAYERS TO IMPROVE THERE CONFIDENCE
    HOLLINGWORTH HAVE TO BE REALLY LUCKY TO HAVE A GUY LIKE MR PETER BRANNIGAN BACKING THEM UP HE HAD NO COMMITTE AND STARTED EVERYTHING AS AONE MAN BAND NOW HE HAS AWORKING COMMITTE AND MONEY IN THE BAND HE WILL NOT TURN ANYONE AWAY AND INVITES ANYONE TO HIS PRACTISE. OVER 18 MONTHS HE HAS HAD TO LEARN ASWELL BUT WHO CARES HOW MANY EXPERT MD WOULD BE ABLE TO DO THAT SORRY NICK AND BOB CHILDS BUT THIS GUY HAS NOT GOT ANY REPUTATION TO ATTRACT PLAYERS HE JUST IS WARM AND CARING
    PETER WE ALL THANK YOU AT HOLLINGWORTH AND LONGDENDALE BRASS BAND WITHOUT YOU 150 YEARS WOULD HAVE DISSAPPEARED INTO THE PAST IF ONLY THERE WERE MORE LIKE HIM
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    TO ALL WHO HAD NO FAITH WHOSE LAUGHING NOW!!!
    THE BAND IS ..............................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well done, but no need to shout!

3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

CAPS LOCK!!!

4. ukdisco.com

ukdisco.com Member

IS THAT ABOVE MY SHIFT KEY LAURA HEHEHE

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

As a conductor of a band struggling to regain its feet after losing a lot of players before I arrived, I can only say well done, but no real need to make patronising remarks about top class MDs such as Nick and Bob Childs is there?

All the same, hope your band continues to flourish.

6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yes. That's the one!! :wink:

Please use it sparingly! :lol:

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Sounds like things are going really well for you, so well done. I hope it isn't really all down to one bloke though, or you'll be straight back to square one if he ever leaves. (Believe me, I've seen it happen a few times and it ain't pretty).

What have you got against the experts?!

8. ukdisco.com

ukdisco.com Member

NOT PATRONISING GOT ADMIRATION FOR THEM

However Big Name Conductors do attract players dont they?
    those men have worked hard for what they have done fair play to them
    Peter has built a team up now and they work for the band not for Peter so even if he left the band would only go up god forbid he did leave
    Watch out Grimethorpe if he does he still has problems with pause marks when he gets carried away

Laura is this better i've found the caps lock key hahahahah

9. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Re: NOT PATRONISING GOT ADMIRATION FOR THEM

Beautiful!

10. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Congrats to you, but please be wary how you post on here as from reading your messages it does sound rather boastful!

Yes Big Name Conductors attract players, but big name bands are what many players aim to get into. Most people aim to get into a big name bands (admittedly mostly having big name conductors to boot)

You already seem to have plenty of confidence from your post. What do you do within the band, e.g. player?

You are obviously lucky to have a good conductor, but it seems he has motivated the band and got them back on track. Your making him sound a bit omnipotent though, lol! :lol:

Players will obviously come to the band if they here it is back on track, and I wish you continued success.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    AONE MAN BAND
    LONGDENDALE BRASS BAND
    PETER BRANNIGAN
    PLAYERS MEANS
    QUALITY PLAYERS
  12. ukdisco.com

ukdisco.com Member

Position in The Band

I am A Cornet Player
    meak and meeble at that :roll: :guiness

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i didnt think so.. just a little trouble locating the caps lock

well beggar me someones found the thesaurus!!

14. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Well suppose as it's a forum, where all the tMPers read, we're all going to interpret things differently! Apologies, Alex

15. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Isn't Brass Banding (performing) just a hobby for most people?

Quite frankly, I don't really care who is in the middle so long as he/she is good at the job and make the experince fun, exciting but I still learn something.

Not sucking up, but I would work with Dave Neil (MD at Tullis) any day of the week in a professional capacity or otherwise. :)

Can't we just play music and not worry too much about if we're playing music by a 'name' or being conducted by a 'name'.

:lol:

16. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Sounds to me like sucking James :D
    Doesnt bother me either as long as the man in the middle gets the best out of what he has at his dispossal

17. niknakewok

niknakewok New Member

AHA! So this is where you chaps are hanging out! :D James - I hope your thinking of buying loads of tickets for the quiz night on Friday (your more than welcome to Alec!)

Luv
    Nik
    xxx

18. James McFadyen

Oh god! There's just no escape from u, Nikki, is there!
    :lol:

19. niknakewok

niknakewok New Member

No! Heehee! Although you will have peace from me on Thursday cos i'm on a hen nite - hmmmm, which means you might be able to hear the delightful sounds of drunken ladies screaming like mad banshees when you leave then band hall!
    :guiness

BUT I WILL SEE YOU ON FRIDAY AT THE QUIZ!!!! :hammer

20. James McFadyen

Isn't that just the usuall routine for all the Tullis Totty! ;) ;)

Now, what was I doing Friday, again......ooh I know.........sssssshhhhhhh.......oops went through a tunnel! :) ;)

21. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

While I am glad to hear another success story from a brass band, I think it sounds like your conductor had to learn to give as well as take.

Gladstone was in a similar situation when I came home. The new conductor was a local music teacher, a singer and clarinettist. Her views on brass banding were antiquated, from watching too many black and white movies or something, methinks! :wink:

Long story short, she fought with the band too much, so they mutinied. The replacement, a long stanbding bandsmen, tried to fill in, but without too much experience in relating his thoughts to musicians, he was resented by younger players.

My personal feeling, while Iw as slapped down for it here, and you can join in too, is that anyone who knows anything about music can conduct my band, violinist, pianist, singer, or flautist, but they can't go around without learning something about the ensemble they're with!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    AONE MAN BAND
    LONGDENDALE BRASS BAND
    PETER BRANNIGAN
    PLAYERS MEANS
    QUALITY PLAYERS