Is anyone going to Hardraw Scar???

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by nook1938, Aug 28, 2006.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Is anyone playing or going to Hardraw on the 10th Sept, to me it is one of the most natural places to play, the sound that reverberates around the grounds, it must be a hard decision for a ajudicator to pick out the winning band. :clap:

If the weather is kind and the crowds are in force, there is no better place to hear a Brass Band. Good luck to all who are taking part. :tup

John

2. nook1938

Nope no one is going!

John

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

6 hours! Blimey mate give people a chance!!

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well, having depped with Wetherby last week I know that they're going (unless they've changed their minds since!)

5. Hello,

Yes, we'll be there... We have managed to get a Solo Cornet lined up (you're safe 2MD), and an extra drummer... It's our second Baritone, Colin Wormald, who organises it, so we kind of have to go... As long as its fine it's a great day out. It'll be mad if it rains with 12 bands and a small beer tent...

You could have put this post in Adjudicators Comment or Rehearsal room to get more views... Come on 2MD - do your job!!!!

Harrogate are going too...

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Excellent point . . .
    Moved to Adjudicators Comments forum.

7. nook1938

Thank you everyone, never gave it a thought that it would need to go anywhere else but the chat section.

John

8. You didn't say who you play for???

9. nook1938

Just play in Wind/Concert and Dance Bands now on the Old Sax - of the Phone, when you get the Sax at Midnight music out, :wink: some lovely tunes, I do not the have cornet out much these days, only to keep my lip something like, but cross everything, my cornet will have gone by the weekend, unless someone proves me wrong.

John

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  10. 2nd man down

So you're not actually playing there yourself then?

I used to love playing at Hardraw, it's a superb venue when the weather is favourable.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hardraw
    Hardraw Scar
    ajudicator
    force
    Brass Band
  12. nook1938

13. 2nd man down

14. 2euph

2euph New Member

I'm Going, the weather is set fair, so hope to see lots of you there

15. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I believe Shepherd Building Group Band is going

16. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Results by text from Temp. Noble

Co-op (milnrow)
    Shepards
    Broughton
    Harrogate
    Wetherby

soloist - Wetherby

that's all I know for now

G

17. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Had a really good day at Hardraw today. Weather was beautiful, bright sunshine all day, magnificent scenery and surroundings, couldnt ask for a better setting or day.

I was lucky enough to be asked to play for Harrogate, which i thoroughly enjoyed, a really good band and a cracking bunch of people, so thanks to everyone from Harrogate. I thought we played very well, so hopefully the band can be pleased with how it played.

I only really heard Milnrow and Wetherby of the other bands, both played very well, Milnrow sounded especially good.

A fantastic day out, great contest.:p

18. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

We at the National Methodist Youth Brass Band had a super concert here on our recent tour of the Lake District (And surrounding area) - what a super place to play - very much part of nature. I am sure a contest at the venue would be superb - and not too far to the pub afterwards ;-)

19. Hello,

I never saw you CK!

It was a cracking day, all the better for our good result and the solist prize - four bands played Orange Juice, including ourselves, so Sarah Kearsley was overjoyed that Roy Roe prefered her rendition! Good weather always helps, and there were hundreds of people there to listen - where else does that happen for a contest?

Unfortunately, as it stands today, there is no sponsorship in place for the event next year. The contest doesn't cost a massive amount to put on, but there are a couple of marquees to hire, as contingency in case it rains. The Green Dragon (the pub which owns the access to the falls) is investing money in the venue, with plans for a roof on the bandstand as it was back in the 1930s, as well as improving terracing for the audience. If anyone can help, please make contact with Colin Wormald, vice president of YHBBA & member of Wetherby Silver Band - you can PM me for details.

From the beer tent, Milnrow sounded fantastic...

Kevin

20. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

How did my original band (all of 30 years ago) Barnoldswick, get on and did anyone hear them? 4BR seem to have them placed as "best ungraded" and winning the soloists prize.

Sadly, most of my memories are of when the contest was held in May and getting soaked by the rain on the bandstand.