Is a pastry a cake?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by drummergurl, Mar 11, 2006.

Is a pastry a cake?

1. NO ITS A PASTRY!!!!!!

2. yep, its a cake.

1. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ok, me and my twin brother think that a pastry isnt a cake.. and my mum and dad think a pastry is a cake.

my side of the argument is... that a pie is made of pastry (eg a cherry pie, not a meat n potato pie) but you wouldnt call a pie a cake! a cake is a cake, you wouldnt expect a danish pastry when you ask for a cake would you?!
    im going to leave my mum to defend her side of the argument, as she is registered on here (drummergurl's mummy, i think that's what her username is anyway)

this has all come about from mum buying some danish pastries and calling them cakes.. and me not knowing what she was on about, which then caused an argument in the car on the way home from band...
    so, which is it?! is a pastry a cake? or as i think, is it just plainly a pastry?!
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Sorry Sarah, I'm with your mum on this one. There's a world of difference between the pastry used in a cherry pie (for example) and a Danish Pastry. It is far more similar to a cake....

This reminds me of the debate that has gone on since the beginning of time - is a Jaffacake a cake or a biscuit?! ;)

HANNAH Member

no way is a pastry a cake, theyre completely different things!!!! Yeah ok so theres a difference between a danish pastry and and a pie but that dont make it a cake!!!!! Way different things, no doubt about it!!!
  4. Argument? Did I miss it? Debate is a better term. The said pastry was very nice anyway, whatever it is.
    sarah also thinks a gateau is not a cake.

To top it off what about kendal mint cake?
  5. drummergurl

yes, that debate also came into our heated discussion on pastries and cakes.

i know there is a difference between the pastry used for cherry pies and danish pastries, and in my opinion the one used in pies is closer to a cake than one used for danish pastries! mum had a danish pastry and called it a cake! its wrong!! its not a cake!

hannah... WOOHOO! someone else agrees with me!

p.s. if you notice a discrepancy in the poll, its because i HAVENT voted on my own poll, but i notice that my mum has.
  6. Tracey

Tracey Member

My other half who is a qualified baker and confectioner agrees with you drummergirl, a pastry is a pastry!
  7. Key2207

Key2207 Member

The way I see it a pastry is a pastry and a cake is a cake lol! I also agree with sarah a gateau is not a cake it's a gateau. This cake pastry gateau thing is sooooo confusing!!
  8. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

a Gateau is a cake, kendal mint cake is just odd. And pastry's are not cakes! How odd would someone sound saying "I'm just nipping to greggs for a meat and potato cake!"
  9. gawber

gawber Active Member

A cake is a cake not a pastry..............and a pastry is a pastry not a cake!!

And I can highly recommend him if anyone wants a CAKE (or a pastry!):clap:
  10. Main Entry: pastryPart of Speech: nounDefinition: baked goodSynonyms: bread, butter tart, cake, croissant, dainty, Danish, delicacy, doughnut, panettone, patisserie, phyllo, pie, strudel, sweet roll, tart, turnover, éclairSource: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
    Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

I rest my case!
  11. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Is a Pontefract Cake Pastry?
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

It's a cake!
  13. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

aren't they licorice sweeties? :confused:

I can't decide whether a pastry is a cake or not though, cus they sell them in cake shops don't they? so it must be a cake... they should have pastry shops if they are pastry's! :tongue:
  14. drummergurl

so, everytime you send me out to the freezer to get a loaf of bread, you're going to tell me to go get a cake?!
    i somehow disagree!! bread is bread, its not a cake is it?! or a pastry! its bread! i can just imagine you saying "oh yes, and im having tuna salad on my cake"
  15. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

As TMP Chief cake maker I say that a pastry is NOT a cake.
  16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

But isn't a Danish Pastry simply a flattened out Chelsea bun. And I would say a Chelsea bun is definitely a cake.
    And dont say a bun is not a cake. Even those buns you put cheese and burgers in are often called bread cakes or barm cakes. Therefore a bun is definitely a cake and a flattened Chelsea Bun is a pastry.
    ergo pastry = bun = cake = pastry
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  17. drummergurl

what's a chelsea bun :confused:

dont think we get them in this part of the world...
  18. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yes we do, think of the name...Anyway they are kind of swirly dough with cinnamon and sultanaas or something like that! More like a sweetbread really!
  19. drummergurl

yes but thats not in lancashire is it?! chelsea isnt in my part of the world cuz its not in lancashire!
    so.. the "debate" continues
  20. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Oh right sorry, thought you were suggesting the UK as 'this part of the world', lol my mistake.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006