Irritating things

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by alks, Aug 4, 2004.

1. alks

alks Member

Just a quicky..

Anyone any idea why this happens sometimes when i try to log onto the mouthpiece? In fact any site at all. I have to switch off the internet and reboot to stop it, but it doesnt always work!. Normally i load up a different browser and use that. This is what appears in the addresss box after that address has been typed in:

(I should know having just done an IT degree.....eeek.)

Also why hasnt the AOL browser problem been sorted yet? i.e. you cannot make posts using the AOL browser. You have to load up another browser.

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'm not clicking the link! :? :shock: I wont wanna risk killing this PC :lol: ;-)
    I have that really annoying blue strip which has mucked my PC up, so I need to sort that out.... it's a MSN spam thing from what I can make out...

Oh, but ermmmm..... AOL ...... AOL!!!
    That is your problem...

3. alks

alks Member

ARgg Mods -- i didnt intend that coming out as a link! Just wanted it to be a non link demontrating the problem.

Thank Niomi......yes i know everyone whinges at aol , but it is a least the most part.

I use IE6 to make all posts to the mouthpiece, but its a hassle having to swop browsers so i only make posts occasionally and then useually get HIT with an explorer error and then the whole PC locks up.
    I often think is it worth posting?

:roll: Alks
  4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

This sounds like a personal firewall issue - basically, your browser is trying to make a http request, but your firewall could be intervening at times, resulting in the terminated navigation experienced. First steps would be IMO, to check your firewall settings and see if there are any gremlins in there...

Re AOL issue on tMP - stand by for an update shortly
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Re. the AOL question. I found this snippet on the phpBB website faq whilst browsing for the answer to something else.

10. My AOL based users keep getting logged out!

phpBB2 uses sessions to keep track of users as they browse the board. These sessions use a combination of a unique session id and the users IP to identify each user. We make use of the IP as an extra safe-guard to help prevent sessions being hijacked (by discovering the unique session id).

Unfortunately this only works when the users IP is constant as they browse the board. For most users this will be the case. However certain providers route their users via a cluster of proxys. In some cases, particularly AOL this results in different IPs being forwarded as the user moves between pages. We take account of this by not checking the entire IP but only the first "three quads". Again in most cases this will be fine. However again AOL uses IPs which can vary so much that checking only the first two quads results in a fairly static IP being available for session validation.

If you are experiencing problems related to this you can make a small change to the code. Please note that reducing the IP validation length does potentially increase the risk of sessions being hijacked (this is something for you to consider, phpBB Group takes no responsibility should anything happen!). The change requires you to open the file sessions.php in the includes/ directory of the distribution. Find line 250, it contains the following

$ip_check_s = substr($userdata['session_ip'], 0, 6);
    change this to:

$ip_check_s = substr($userdata['session_ip'], 0, 4);
    You need to make exactly the same change to the number 6 in the next line. Save the file (and upload it if required). This should reduce or eliminate the problem noted.
  6. Jessica

Jessica New Member

my computer keeps getting viruses
  7. Naomi McFadyen

^ needs to get norton!

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

9. Naomi McFadyen

:roll: I have!!!
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oops! :? Dunno how to get rid of it then!
  11. Naomi McFadyen

I know how to do it, just havent done it yet... but seeing as this is the irritating thingy thread, I was just saying that it was something that has irritated me.... ;-)
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

my internet browser at home (windows xp) has stopped letting me onto tMP (although if I try through my partners personal settings instead of mine it works ok!!) :evil:

When i try to open tMP while in my profile it comes up with a login problem and says that internet browser has had to abort the operation. I've tried deleting all the history and cookies but it hasn't changed anything. Anyone got any ideas as to what could have caused this?? I'm with freeserve by the way.

Why will it let me on while in my partners personal settings but not mine?
    (it just so happens all this happened in a week where i downloaded msn and tried to log on to yahoo games (thanks Ploughboy!! :evil: ). The fault occurred while i was trying to log in to yahoo! (is this just pure coincidence??)
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

There's no such thing as coincidence 2md when you're dealing with computers. It's possible your failed installation has corrupted your profile. I've had this happen to me a couple of times. You might try the microsoft website for a possible solution. However, if you do need to do it it's a real pain in the ain. :roll:

This link gives more information:;en-us;811151

Best of luck
  14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

ooo I had that problem tonight too.....had to change computers (and it's cold in here!)
  15. kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaOL HAHAHAHA
    We quit after the first week AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAol :lol: :lol: :lol:
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Do you have any other spare pc's just lying around that you'd like to donate?? :roll: :cry:
  17. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

You can have keeps behaving exceedingly badly :evil: It is at the moment being punished (and not used). If it doesn't start behaving soon it'll be visiting the evil computer doctor who will strip it down and clean it out!