Irritating Motorway Drivers!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Just made my usual journey home on the motorway.

Why oh why oh why do some drivers insist on driving between 65 - 70 mph in the middle lane when there is no traffic in the left hand lane??????:mad:

Now I have a choice -
    1) Do I break the law by passing the perpetrator in the left hand lane (to make a point) whilst glaring at them?
    2) Do I join the middle lane and drive 2 inches away from their bumper to give them a hint?
    3) Do I overtake them using the right hand lane and then swerve in front of them and slow down?

Okay, so I have the potential to be a 'road rager'.

Best just go home and open the bottle then!
  2. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Drive alongside them in the inside lane and just sit there saying nothing...

Alternatively set photon torpedoes to "deep fry" and have some fun.
  3. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

How about act like a grown up and accept that the speed limit is 70 or overtake them in the outside lane leave a sensible gap before you pull back in and forget about them...
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Preferably, no. Middle Lane Menaces tend to move to the inside lane exactly at the point that you drive into their near side blind spot.

No. At 70 mph the stopping distance is 315 feet - if they break for any reason, like someone doing a 3), then you're dead.

No. If they're bad enough road users to be middle lane menaces, can you guarantee they'll be paying attention?

All of your proposed options may have a detrimental effect on your good looks and horn playing.

Best advice is to remain calm, overtake legally if you can, otherwise, maintain a safe distance behind. Use non violent road rage tactics if you must - curse them loudly, but with your windows UP.
  5. Chris Sanders

Thats what I meant to say, you're very diplomatic...
  6. bigmamabadger

Well obviously I was going to say all that as well. ;)
    I still think the photon torpedo option is the way to go.:mad:
    BMB "The car in front is driven by a badger"
  7. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Overtaking inside is not illegal in itself. Depending on how it's done, though, plod has a range of offences to choose from, including dangerous and/or reckless driving both of which potentially carry a prison sentence if you are deemed to be the cause of an accident. Having questioned a few traffic plods on this very matter, the unofficial position is:- if there's room for a car to undertake you safely, then you are in the wrong lane. All of the guys I spoke to said that they would be unlikely to nick someone who just trolled along at 70ish in the inside lane and happened to pass a car who two, but they would probably throw the book at people ducking from lane 3 to lane 1 and back again to weave through traffic.
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Pass your test, buy a bike (500cc should do it), let 'em eat dust as you cruise, at barely over tickover, up the outside.... :D :clap:

(Lower fuel costs, too... :) )
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I personnaly tend to overtake then go to the far left lane.... sometimes it makes the driver who's being an eediot move over as well.... sometimes I've overtaken drivers and another car has undertaken it at exactly the same time... now, that defo makes them move over afterwards :lol:
  10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Why not just flash your lights, beep your horn, make gestures and shout rude things. This method always works for me and I have never lost my temper on a motorway!
  11. andyp

andyp Active Member

If undertaking's not a safe option (and on a motorway it usually isn't, but I admit to doing it more than once!) then passsing on the outside safely and pulling into lane 1 sometimes wakes them up. You may also wish to point clearly towards the lane they should be in.
    Or if you have a car behind you travelling the same speed, go one each side (a highly dangerous manoevre commonly know as "doing the Red Arrows"), that definitely wakes them up!
    If you think it's bad in the middle lane of 3, you should see the M6 round Preston and round Thelwall, where there's 4 lanes. Then you get people cruising up lane 3 with TWO empty lanes inside them. Thus clogging up the road even more!

IIRC, according to the Highway Code, you may undertake if the car in front has indicated its intention to turn right. This (unfortunately) can't apply on a motorway, but on a two lane dual carriageway with roundabouts or traffic lights, given that generally drivers don't use those winky blinky orange lights for fear of wearing the bulbs out (BMW/Merc indicator bulbs are really expensive), if a car's in the outside lane on it's own it must be turning right, so you can undertake quite happily.
    On the way into work of a morning I do this a lot, people seem to think it neccessary to get in the right-hand lane about 5 miles before actually turning right, for some reason.
  12. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I overtake, start indicating left when I am level with the offending car and then wait until I am a very safe distance before pulling back into the inside lane, always checking that it is empty as well because there could be someone undertaking him that you may not have spotted. But if they are going at 70mph, then legally, you shouldn't be overtaking them anyway. It annoys me more if they are doing 50-65mph!

One thing that gets my goat more is when on the motorway, you come up to a slip road where there is traffic joining. So many times, I signal well in advance to pull out expecting the car overtaking me to spot it and pull into the outside lane where there is no traffic at all. I nearly had a bit of a crash on the M1 at Jct 26 going to Brass In Bloom thanks to a black VW Golf driver doing just that.
  13. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I personally like to cruise up behind them in my big silver Saab 9000 and, if the sight of that monster filling all three mirrors doesn't move them, I flash my headlights twice. Never seem to have any trouble getting past. Could be a problem if I cruise up behind another Saab 9000 but, in general, we're all too civilised towards each other that it's never been an issue :D
  14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Depends a lot on the amount of traffic. If the road is pretty empty, I'd go to the out side overtaking lane pass the vehicle and then, when at a safe distance, move back over to lane 1.
    However if the road was busy I'd go past in lane 1, as the traffic regs allow, (if traffic in an out side lane is moving slower etc.)

Bear in mind that some people actually look further ahead than their bonnet, so they may be sticking to the middle lane to avoid unnecessary lane changing, or pulling over then getting stuck behind some lorry and being unable to get back out again!

As for anyone coming up behind me in a silver Saab and flashing their lights, they may find I gradually slow down and that they'll have to move out to overtake. ;)
  15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

And you mean your not :eek: :biggrin:

I don't drive so I don't really know but remember, "patience is a virture" I would have just waited til they moved, would be easier than attempting some potentionally reckless driving.
  16. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Or just drive straight through you whilst wondering what that slight bump was (depending on the size of your car) :D

In my defence I would only ever flash my lights at someone if the inside lane was empty, outside lane was busy and the middle lane hog was seemingly oblivious to the fact that he/she could move to the left. Most people on a long journey who have settled into the middle lane for no apparent reason move over swiftly when someone draws their attention to the empty lane beside them.
  17. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

I second this
  18. Di

Di Active Member

It would depend on the traffic for me. If the traffic in the third lane is too busy, i'd watch for a while. If they do nothing but stare straight ahead, they ain't gonna pull over, so I slip by on the inside. If the road is empty, I love a good wang out to the outside lane, pass and swoop back into the inside lane. Very satisfying, but on most occasions, has no effect whatsoever on the twerp.
  19. bigmamabadger

What are you a Nissan Micra driver?!:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  20. Chris Sanders

Hell No, they're for little girls and middle aged women. I save my crazy driving for when I have track time, driving fast and stupid does give you that strange rush of adrenalin that few other things can match, but if you are so obsessed with being a bad driver, then do it when its not endangering other people. Next time I get track time will be on silverstone in a Lotus Elise, my brother booked it. Cant wait, my best mate is taking his newly restored RS for its first run out there... :D